WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PYRAMID OR CASTAIC PICK YOUR POISON?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
So I brought the boat down from my river trip last weekend to try and fix a couple things on the boat and figured since its here at home I would take it out locally on Saturday. It has been years since I have been to either one of these lakes so which do you prefer? I liked castaic years ago but it sucked the last time I was there, the cops were all over the place and heard they like to give speeding tickets too, but I also like pyramid except for the mystery green goo floating everywhere. Might consider castaic again maybe. Either place is equally close to my house. Where would you go for the day and why? I personally prefer my little mud hole buena vista but don't feel like going to bakersfield for the day. Anyone gonna be out at any of these lakes this weekend?

Last edited:

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
if you go to castaic, be prepared for a thorough inspection. When you bring a boat from AZ they have to "clear" it for their lake (Muscles).

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
if you go to castaic, be prepared for a thorough inspection. When you bring a boat from AZ they have to "clear" it for their lake (Muscles).

Yeah I have heard of that, I pulled the plug yesterday to make sure everything would dry out but there wasn't a damn drop of water in it. I will leave it out until I get to the lake. What time does pyramid open? Can't find their website, maybe its down or something.:grumble:

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Yeah I have heard of that, I pulled the plug yesterday to make sure everything would dry out but there wasn't a damn drop of water in it. I will leave it out until I get to the lake. What time does pyramid open? Can't find their website, maybe its down or something.:grumble:

Not sure but most local lakes are dusk to dawn

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
There is a group of boaters from here that go religiously to Castaic Lake every Sunday.

75 Spectra V-Drive

Gas dock greg fueler
Reaction score
Pyramid.... the law enforcement at Castaic is too much, I've been hassled there too many times:thumbsdown

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
Last weekend I drove by Pyramid and Castaic on my way home from SoCal...I cant even believe you guys call those things lakes!!! More like ponds. You guys need to come up to NorCal to see what real lakes are.:D

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Last weekend I drove by Pyramid and Castaic on my way home from SoCal...I cant even believe you guys call those things lakes!!! More like ponds. You guys need to come up to NorCal to see what real lakes are.:D

River and Havasu are closer.:skull I have always wanted to check out Naci or San Antonio.:D

cxr

Reaction score
Pyramid IMO is the nicest So Cal lake.

but that being said i drive 5 hours to Mohave/Needles/Havasu to me those are 1000X nicer

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Castaic is bigger and has nicer coves and beaches.:thumbsup
Big launch ramp.:thumbsup
Closer. :thumbsup
LEO will ticket for drinking and speeding.:thumbsdown

Pyramid is easier to speed around on and you can drink. :thumbsup
Very small ramp. :thumbsdown
Water is green. :thumbsdown
No beaches. :thumbsdown
30 min further. :thumbsdown

You will have a good time at either one but its not the river. ;) Have fun and if you can go on Sunday a group of us will be at Castaic -Richie Rich because he never shows up anymore. :p;):D

hallett21

Reaction score
pyramid for early am waterski otherwise flip a coin imo

NoDoz

Reaction score
Always have gone to Pyramid for the day. Heard Castaic is kind of trashy and get's blown out a lot. Pyramid has a small picnic area and way in the back I have beached it where it gets shallow. Won't go to Piru ever again, multiple bad experiences

hallett21

Reaction score
Always have gone to Pyramid for the day. Heard Castaic is kind of trashy and get's blown out a lot. Pyramid has a small picnic area and way in the back I have beached it where it gets shallow. Won't go to Piru ever again, multiple bad experiences

like what?
never been, but always wondered about skiing it

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Went to piru once years ago in our mastercraft and it was ok until the wind kicked up. Swear it took 45 min to get back from the other side of the lake and thought the boat was gonna sink it was so damn rough. Another lake about equally as far from my house is silverwood lake out by hesperia. All the years I have been boating and I have never been there. Anyone ever been to silverwood?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score

You will have a good time at either one but its not the river. ;) Have fun and if you can go on Sunday a group of us will be at Castaic -Richie Rich because he never shows up anymore. :p;):D

I would love to head up there on sunday but I work nights and my monday is sunday night.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
One of these days we will be out there. We have had a lot going on lately and sadly, boating has suffered.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

x2

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Well it has been years since I have been to pyramid, does anyone know if there is a huge line on the weekends like there used to be. I am planning to get there around 7am so am I gonna wait in line? Or should I be good?

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Well it has been years since I have been to pyramid, does anyone know if there is a huge line on the weekends like there used to be. I am planning to get there around 7am so am I gonna wait in line? Or should I be good?

You will be fine up till 9am

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

Huge line at Pyramid, go to Castaic and Jeff will back your boat in and park the truck.:thumbsup:D:D

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Last edited:

NoDoz

Reaction score
like what?
never been, but always wondered about skiing it

Piru is great for early morning skiing because it's warm (shallow lake) and of course water conditions on the lake in the morning are nice.
Won't go again because I have been on at least 2 drownings there, 1 where the victim was found and the other where it led to a body recovery. Just bad memories. Also, had a lot of inexperienced boaters there. seemed like more than other lakes. Sorry, not trying to knock the lake. have had good times there in the past with the family but the last handfull of times left a sour taste in my mouth