WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Quads

Jimmyv

Reaction score
F44B6EAE-B863-4347-8171-6ED950983CAE.png

Probably not a popular opinion around here, but here it is 😃😃

Jimmyv

Reaction score
As much fun as they are quads and sxs have killed the back country as much as sitdown jet skis have littered the water ways.

Between those and the internet Im not sure isolated special places exist anymore.

This is unfortunately true. They’re everywhere and the trails have never been in worse shape.

I remember learning to ride a dirt bike as a young man, and a pickup with four guys, one quad and no helmet would pull into camp. They would spend the day taking turns riding only around camp and dusting us all out.

Those same guys now have four financed SXS’s and their kids ride thru camp all night with big lights and music.

Or maybe I’m just an old curmudgeon.

f12517

Reaction score
This is unfortunately true. They’re everywhere and the trails have never been in worse shape.

I remember learning to ride a dirt bike as a young man, and a pickup with four guys, one quad and no helmet would pull into camp. They would spend the day taking turns riding only around camp and dusting us all out.

Those same guys now have four financed SXS’s and their kids ride thru camp all night with big lights and music.

Or maybe I’m just an old curmudgeon.
^^^Truth^^^

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Don’t
Worry
In 15 years none of the upcoming generations will be doing anything off road , so your trails will be back, but you will all be in your 70’s lol

Do a poll of how many of you guys in your 50’s and over that have river places or camped
At the river and have adult kids that do now on THEIR OWN DIME

very few

No country for old men,very Few of the future generations will be, riding anything off road

The way it is

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I hadn’t ever really thought about how our younger generations may lack the same interest, but I can see how that may be.

I’m only 42, so I’m probably the youngest old Curmudgeon around! But no, i can’t imagine what things will look like in 20 years. My kids are 6 and 4 and love their time in the desert, but that’s because mom and dad love their time in the desert.

I’m in California, so it probably won’t matter here. You won’t be able to buy a gas motorcycle by then, and all our land will be diverted to solar fields.

40AED4A7-6AB0-46CF-8753-5E2F84BF911C.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Well it so happens I grew up riding and racing motorcycles. Carlsbad GrandPrix of MX was litteraly in my backyard. I flopped to quads for riding the dunes together with my wife and kids......but I was one of the rare guys that could keep up with the best of my mx friends and outrun those less capable on a mx course.
My daughter started at 3 1/2. By time she was 10-11 she was dusting the boys in the dunes on a Banshee.
My son(10 yrs older than sis) gravitated back to his roots of 2 wheelers and is an avid Ocotillo Wells patron.

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
Around here in the north East we call quads Tapered shaft. Some people really like riding them.

96scarab

Reaction score
I hadn’t ever really thought about how our younger generations may lack the same interest, but I can see how that may be.

I’m only 42, so I’m probably the youngest old Curmudgeon around! But no, i can’t imagine what things will look like in 20 years. My kids are 6 and 4 and love their time in the desert, but that’s because mom and dad love their time in the desert.

I’m in California, so it probably won’t matter here. You won’t be able to buy a gas motorcycle by then, and all our land will be diverted to solar fields.

View attachment 954035
Bad ass picture!!

pixrthis

Reaction score
As much fun as they are quads and sxs have killed the back country as much as sitdown jet skis have littered the water ways.

Between those and the internet Im not sure isolated special places exist anymore.
I can show you plenty of places quads can’t go in So Cal but you have to be sworn into secrecy first.

Attachments

• 5A5ABFED-4DE8-4564-9D5B-8984D3404A43.jpeg
    5A5ABFED-4DE8-4564-9D5B-8984D3404A43.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 191

240Hallett

Reaction score
3931CF62-98F0-41CD-88B5-698C0FC5055B.jpeg
8C56B2E3-7A49-4C8F-BA5C-AD15B82B42B1.jpeg
81877A5C-E490-43A3-B68C-1CE1AAE13532.jpeg

View attachment 954035
My daughter and SIL are about your age and they are all about the Desert scene. In a reversal of roles now my wife and I tag along with them for the occasional off-road weekend.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Quads and Jet Skies are living proof that, if you can afford the payments, you can buy stupidity. I grew up on the water and the Oregon dunes. People all had a common goal of being safe and responsible with true respect for one an other. I watched first hand as that all changed and not for the better. I still see families that uphold those standards. They post pictures on this forum and the time they spend with their family can never be replaced. The master plan is to close all public land to water craft and ATV's. Wendall Wood said it best, "we don't close it all at once, we do it foot by foot". Environmental groups have excellent standings with the courts and the offroad industry have none. More and more land and water ways will be closed. Don't believe me, go sit on a planning committee.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

View attachment 954035

To me it’s an experience like anything else.
My kids are on quads, I put more time into getting them proficient with firearms and fishing. They can try out two wheelers when they get older if they want.
Seen too many die hard two wheelers turn into tweakers and pot heads, like the stand up jet ski crowd in the late 90’s.
It’s all about experiences, the kids will carry on what they liked best about them and carry that on.
As said earlier , of five families I went to river with , only one has their adult kids now going and they (adult kids) don’t own their own stuff.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I switched to a quad about 10 years ago. After shattering my neck in a rollover, I deemed it a better move. The weight of the helmet hurts after a few hours on a quad cruising with kids. With two wheels, I knew it was a matter of time before a "hold my beer..." moment. Maybe an enduro someday, for trail rides. My days of the CR500 have come to an end.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
We are all about providing the little ones as many heathy life experiences as we can. No shelter life here, and though we don’t have a big family around, there is more than enough love.

If they choose to continue doing these things when they grow up will be up to them. I don’t care if they enjoy the dirt and water, as long as they’re passionate about something and willing to work for it.

8CA258B8-3D3F-4603-A511-2ED827043804.jpeg

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I grew up riding motorcycles starting with an MR 50.. Than an xr80.. We had a tractor atc we used to launch jet skis mainly KLT 200.. then randomly we had a 250x atc. I liked it quite a bit because I could take a girl with me. When I was 12 I saw a early version of a Yamaha warrior.. I thought that was the nearest thing I had ever seen in my life. My dad got me an 88 warrior on Easter and I had just about died and gone to heaven.. there isn’t too many places in Parker that thing didn’t go.

other than the Honda Pilot that a few friends had, I thought that thing was the cats pajamas.. sold it to riverratmike in mylate 20’s a few years before moving out here for 750.00 and still regret it.
I bought my kids two crf 50’s.. one larger and one stock. They had little interest in them.

I built them a crazy ranger 150 which they like.. I got a Yamaha raptor 90 quad and that thing runs from sun up to bed time and then the older kids ride it until late night.. I just bought it and I’d bet it’s already do for a service.

Just got a 250ex yesterday.. the kids are salivating while it’s sitting on the trailer.

They aren’t near as fast as two wheelers, but the fun factor is hard to beat on a quad / ATC

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I think the intimidation factor for a quad/atc is lower. With little to no experience, you can jump on and figure it out as you go down the trail. As others have said here, kinda like the guy with the new wave runner. No talent required, just a down payment.

We can’t keep all our toys Dave. When we’re young we usually sell them to fund other toys. As we grow older, most of us get sick of the clutter and just want to simplify things.

We took the kids out to the desert over thanksgiving. First camping trip in over a year for us (I’ve stated in other threads I have cancer and have been in treatment all year - doing well right now). But that trip out means a lot of work; prep and go-through the toy hauler, and prep four bikes, all of which needed tanks drained and carbs rebuilt ( thank you California gas). Maintaining toys can be a full time job for a healthy person!

I do still have my first bike though, 1969 yamaha enduro I bought for $100 from a guy in HB. That one stays, but there have been many other bikes, trucks and cars that have come and gone. Most I don’t miss!

RVRKID

Reaction score
I don’t think my son will be able to ride a 2 wheeler but he absolutely loves riding in the RZR and riding his quad. Nothing better then hearing him say “Dad we didn’t go enough miles today, I want to keep going.”
99429AF8-1E21-431A-A5E6-D42C48929559.jpeg
A0E438D1-31D8-41F5-BC1E-4915BE946DE7.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think the intimidation factor for a quad/atc is lower. With little to no experience, you can jump on and figure it out as you go down the trail. As others have said here, kinda like the guy with the new wave runner. No talent required, just a down payment.

We can’t keep all our toys Dave. When we’re young we usually sell them to fund other toys. As we grow older, most of us get sick of the clutter and just want to simplify things.

We took the kids out to the desert over thanksgiving. First camping trip in over a year for us (I’ve stated in other threads I have cancer and have been in treatment all year - doing well right now). But that trip out means a lot of work; prep and go-through the toy hauler, and prep four bikes, all of which needed tanks drained and carbs rebuilt ( thank you California gas). Maintaining toys can be a full time job for a healthy person!

I do still have my first bike though, 1969 yamaha enduro I bought for $100 from a guy in HB. That one stays, but there have been many other bikes, trucks and cars that have come and gone. Most I don’t miss!

If you need help making memories with your family post up your location. I am more than sure several members will help you with carbs and loading up. He’ll buy some beer they will probably go camping with ya abd help ya unload and reload again..

I’m crippled and need help myself with some stuff but if you are anywhere near me I’ll help.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Ha thanks Dave. One day I’ll be out in Havasu and I’ll buy the beers.

I’m in So Cal, Upland to be exact, but while I complain about the work, I also kinda like it and its good for my rehabilitation. I’m getting stronger everyday.
Now if we could just do something about the COVID....

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
My 10 year old son rides both his 110 bike and the 250 quad. Rocks them both. My daughter sticks to her 110 quad.

I ride my 450 for a little, then get tired. LOL That's why I got the Cam Am.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Then ya got those -- ALL Season Quads! --Them two wheel ride'n Prius drive'n neighbors shovel'n snow stop and say!! ... Hey! maybe when the weather gets better we can go riding together? .... OK maybe! But it's $50 bucks for the driveway! .... Cash!

Real Quads 01.jpg

DSCN7453.JPG

77charger

Reaction score
My kids are on quads, I put more time into getting them proficient with firearms and fishing
Seen too many die hard two wheelers turn into tweakers and pot heads, like the stand up jet ski crowd in the late 90’s.
Hey easy on that stand up jet ski and 2 wheelers comment old timer. I still ride a cr500 and a 550sx. 😂

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Hey easy on that stand up jet ski and 2 wheelers comment old timer. I still ride a cr500 and a 550sx. 😂
You know the majority of guys were on something back then

I had two 550’s , a few of us (you/me) weren’t
We liked beer lol

77charger

Reaction score
You know the majority of guys were on something back then

I had two 550’s , a few of us (you/me) weren’t
We liked beer lol
I was too young to drink when I last had a 550 😂like 1993. But I had to see like a group of 20 stand ups at needles 4 years ago and had to buy another I use it more than my boat now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score