WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

question about Intercoms

LomitaBob

Reaction score
so my kid likes to ride now but he wants to talk and we cant hear over our exhaust. I started looking into intercoms. Started looking at Rugged Radios, they are nice but I cant see spending 1000 bucks for this so I found a few aviation intercoms that look pretty much the same BUT since we now have to wear helmets in our rhino I cant use a cheapo aviation headset ( 2 separate plugs for the mic and phones).

is any one brand better than the other? I eventually want to add a cb radio and one in the trailer but I don't know if they all are compatible with cb

does anyone know of a helmet kit that has the 2 plug set up?

is there an adapter that would go from the standard 3.5mm ( I think) jack to the dual aviation plugs that doesn't cost 50 bucks a piece?

and last if you know anybody selling a used 4 place setup let me know!

JRS1939

Reaction score
Aviation radios don't work very well because there is NO noise canceling in the Mic. Rugged will be your cheapest setup probably and I think the 1000 you talk about is about double what it will cost....

TheKeysLife

Reaction score
I have pci intercom system, it's top grade way better then rugged hands down!!

alohajeff

Reaction score
I have known the Steinbergers since 1993 and can attest to the performance of PCI's product and the quality of their staff. I have helped "Rhi" with a few projects over the years and have sent many friends and family their way. Saying all that... from time to time Rugged offers some smoking deals. The OP didn't want to spend big bucks and if you want to hit a price point PCI isn't always the best option.

Aloha

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I have known the Steinbergers since 1993 and can attest to the performance of PCI's product and the quality of their staff. I have helped "Rhi" with a few projects over the years and have sent many friends and family their way. Saying all that... from time to time Rugged offers some smoking deals. The OP didn't want to spend big bucks and if you want to hit a price point PCI isn't always the best option.

Aloha

the PCI seems to be probably the best setup I have seen but I cant see spending that kind of cash on something I am only gonna use a few times a year.

and now I am thinking that I am bitching about a grand when I just bought a new trailer and rhino and they all get used the same!!! so I guess im just cheap lol

LomitaBob

Reaction score
LOL. The owner of rugged radios used to own AVCOMM who makes PCIs units.

after reading and researching I have found that this stuff is like custom boats. just because it has one name doesn't mean it wasn't built by a "competitor"

Meaney77

Reaction score
It looks like PCI uses the Icom Radio and Rugged uses the Vertex. You can go online and read the good and bad for each radio.

From a user standpoint- I have friends that have both PCI and Rugged in their cars and regardless of owner/previous owner of either company you can tell a difference in clarity between the 2. Not to say one is better than the other but its noticeable. Also the quality of the Rugged wasn't as great as the PCI after only a years worth of use. I have seen it first hand, these are guys that I go out to the desert with frequently.