WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question About Underwater Lighting....

Tishimself

Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at the boat in the pic I have included.....you can see the light on the far left of the transom. How many of you guys have these?? Are they considered "gimmicky?" I kinda like the idea, as long as they don't turn all kinds of colors....who makes them and how much do they cost? How much is the total install gonna run me?

Scan_Pic0009.jpg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Take a look at the boat in the pic I have included.....you can see the light on the far left of the transom. How many of you guys have these?? Are they considered "gimmicky?" I kinda like the idea, as long as they don't turn all kinds of colors....who makes them and how much do they cost? How much is the total install gonna run me?

View attachment 269866

I put in a drain plug led from RunningHotRacing on the boards. I like it, it could be brighter though. He's making them with more LEDs now.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I have ocean LED a3's on my boat. A lil spendy but i like them. They have ones that go in your drain plug also. There are many mfgs google search and choose. I like night boating and my lights are pretty bad ass in copper canyon at 9 pm.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have ocean LED a3's on my boat. A lil spendy but i like them. They have ones that go in your drain plug also. There are many mfgs google search and choose. I like night boating and my lights are pretty bad ass in copper canyon at 9 pm.

Yours are really bright. I like them a lot.

Chestah Cheetah

Extra Medium
Reaction score
I forget who makes mine, but we installed these last season and think they're great. Due to weather and temperature, we just don't get to use them much.

zemety9u.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i dont understand the point of underwater lighting... plus isnt it illegal to run with them on?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Do you boat at night? As far as I know white is legal.

ive done parker at night. damn water level dropped a foot and i couldnt get the boat back on the trailer. i dont think lights would have helped. :grumble:

im pretty sure u can only have the front red green and a white at the rear. nothing else.

some site offshore something or other said:
=========================================
Part C - Lights and Shapes

Rule 20

Application

(a)Rules in this part shall be complied with in all weathers.

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

(c) The lights prescribed by these rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.

(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.

(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Regulations."

======================

i think its more of a "use these lights and only these lights in the designated positions so others can tell your direction/state" kinda thing. also i believe its a federal law more than a state thing. wheres boatcop?

Last edited:

Advantage 1

Reaction score
i dont understand the point of underwater lighting... plus isnt it illegal to run with them on?

I was pulled over in Parker during a dusk booze cruise... had my bow decorated with these string lights... no citation, but had to remove before the LEO let me go. They were a distraction.

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 14

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Catalina Island at 10 PM underwater lights out.

McRib

Reaction score

They are only illegal while underway. Moored or beached not illegal at all. Mine attract fish at night. Its pretty cool.

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

Tishimself

Banned
Reaction score
OK, so one set of answers, answers the next question. I was going to ask whether you wired them into your running lights, or gave them an individual switch...I will wire them separately from the running lights...I am thinking blue lights also...just the two bars...mostly for night running and for swimming off the back of the boat...

McRib

Reaction score
I wired mine into my interior lights switch. i dont run with my interior lights on cause it messes with my night vision.

McRib

Reaction score
Do not wire to running lights because then you cant run at night. Individual switch or interior lights is ur best bet. Gotta keep it isolated from the running lights

rivergames

Reaction score
I have a pair of the abyss leds on my boat to attract the squid in parker at nite

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score
I think they look bad ass at night. I wanna get 2 of the Shadow-Caster SCM-10 , but just can't bring my self to drop that much cash for them.