WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question-Boating Related

dribble

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the broken plastic Drive Lube Monitor Fitting on the Bravo 1 in my 2003 Caliber 1 with a 496 Mag. That in itself is worthy of a thread as it is the most buried part I've ever seen in 45 years of wrenching on shit.

The question is that since I had to pull the exhaust riser on the starboard side to get my very limited access to the fitting, should I go ahead and remove the Turbulators? I've read that people have done this and picked up a couple of MPH due to the exhaust breathing a little better. Has anybody done this? If so, what was the result?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t think you’d see any significant gain by removing them. A couple mph is a pretty big jump too.

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
I read every thread about this I could get my hands on and the best I could come up with was, no.

Singleton

Reaction score
Researched this a bunch. Even talked to a merc engineer off record and response was - waste of effort, no gain to be made. Replace headers and get slight gain and weight reduction. If you want to go faster, sell motor and get 525.

dribble

Reaction score
There people who claimed that since doing it, their boat would now hit the rev limiter and they needed to go bigger on the prop. I'm thinking they were on crack.

rvrrun

Reaction score
There people who claimed that since doing it, their boat would now hit the rev limiter and they needed to go bigger on the prop. I'm thinking they were on crack.

There's a placebo effect anytime you modify or upgrade anything mechanical. The butt dyno swears that flipping the lid on your stock air cleaner or swapping cherry bombs for stock mufflers makes something faster when power and performance have remained the same or gotten worse.

Andy01

Reaction score
There's a placebo effect anytime you modify or upgrade anything mechanical. The butt dyno swears that flipping the lid on your stock air cleaner or swapping cherry bombs for stock mufflers makes something faster when power and performance have remained the same or gotten worse.
Your saying he should replace them with Cherry bombs? :D Sounds good, pun intended lol

dribble

Reaction score
There's a placebo effect anytime you modify or upgrade anything mechanical. The butt dyno swears that flipping the lid on your stock air cleaner or swapping cherry bombs for stock mufflers makes something faster when power and performance have remained the same or gotten worse.[/QUOT

When I decatted my Harley (because of the heat) and put pipes on it, I did notice a difference. It was slower from 1000- 3000 RPMs and no faster anywhere else.

rvrrun

Reaction score
When I decatted my Harley (because of the heat) and put pipes on it, I did notice a difference. It was slower from 1000- 3000 RPMs and no faster anywhere else.

I've mentioned this before, but we did a muffler shootout for Hot Rod magazine using one of our dyno mules and 2.5 straight exhaust for baseline. Every set robbed power with the exception of Borlas that increased hp and tq over baseline. Every once in a while something unexpected happens.

fishing fool

Reaction score
I too have a 496 mag. I think your biggest gain would be to get the computer reflashed to increase the rpm limit from 4800 to 5150 (or something like that).
You will gain more mph out of higher rpm. Unless the hp you gain let's you run a bigger prop.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I read this the first time, I was thinking of something else.. I thought you were referring to the internal flapper deals. I'm not sure if you'd see gains or not removing those out of the exhaust system.

RD

farmo83

Reaction score
My Dad removed his and said his boat ran a little better. Granted the next year I think he put on Dana headers and it ran a LOT better.