WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question - Carry on baggage - Small fishing lures

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
Has anyone ever carried on a small fly fishing box, with a few flies in it. My son is flying to SLC on Thursday and wants to bring his fly lure kit, and a few flies he tied. Can he carry this on?

thanks

Wadernation

Reaction score
i never personally have...but this is from TSA. Fly hooks are tiny..i dont think he would have a problem.

"Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage."

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
yes, that is the info I found, and the same when I called. HOwever, flies are tiny.... just looking to see if anyone ever took them in carry on. He's just bringing his backpack, and phone with him.

2Driver

Reaction score
Put them in an envelope and mail them today priority mail for about $5. They will beat him here

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
Put them in an envelope and mail them today priority mail for about $5. They will beat him here

He's flying into West Yellowstone, my parent's are already there with their Moto-home, they are retrieving him. not sure if there would be mail where they are

sirbob

Reaction score
I travel to Missoula MT often on Delta from John Wayne through SLC. I always bring a small fly kit and a 4 piece fly rod as a carry on.

I will be on the 6:55 am flight next Monday carrying the same stuff I always do.

I don't think he will have a problem.

Tell him to leave the 8in knife he uses to skin bears at home.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
I travel to Missoula MT often on Delta from John Wayne through SLC. I always bring a small fly kit and a 4 piece fly rod as a carry on.

I will be on the 6:55 am flight next Monday carrying the same stuff I always do.

I don't think he will have a problem.

Tell him to leave the 8in knife he uses to skin bears at home.

LOL, knife for bears is staying home!!
I called Delta, and it was confirmed that a small, secure fly kit in his carry on back pack will be fine.
He leaves on Thursday morning flies into SLC and on to West Yellowstone. Grandpa has a fly fishing tour guide set up for a couple days, they (my dad and my son) are so excited!! Thanks for the info Sir!

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
That information about "expensive reels" is bogus. I tried to carry on my reels to Brazil once. The reels are fine, but the line...no go. I guess I could disable the plane and ensnare the flight crew with my 100# power pro braid.:cool

sirbob

Reaction score
That information about "expensive reels" is bogus. I tried to carry on my reels to Brazil once. The reels are fine, but the line...no go. I guess I could disable the plane and ensnare the flight crew with my 100# power pro braid.:cool

Hmmm I carry an Orvis real or two (with line) with me every time...

2Driver

Reaction score
What the TSA does and doesn't do makes no sense to me.

TURN THIS PLANE AROUND! I HAVE A MEPPS #2 AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT. :D

milkmoney

Reaction score
This thread makes me miss fly fishing.
Only kind of fishing I will do.
Hope ur son and dad have a great time, memories right there [emoji106] [emoji202] [emoji4]