WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for havasu renters

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
If you are renting a house in havasu for the weekend would you pay more for indoor boat parking? so if a regular home is $200 a night would you pay $250 a night to park your boat in the garage? We are looking at buying a havasu rental home and just curious if its worth paying more for a home with an RV/boat garage

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
If you are renting a house in havasu for the weekend would you pay more for indoor boat parking? so if a regular home is $200 a night would you pay $250 a night to park your boat in the garage? We are looking at buying a havasu rental home and just curious if its worth paying more for a home with an RV/boat garage
I rent for the weekend semi frequently. Becasue I am usually out and about during the day. The house is just a place to crash. I do look to make sure there is trailer parking, either for my boat or sxs. I am looking for the best deal usually and end up around 100-135 a night places. 200 a night is too much and not worth it IMO. I don’t care if it has a pool or a view because I am in the desert or on the lake.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

First the answer is yes to the question..

Second, have you called my wife regarding this Havasu house your buying Josh? Lol

928-706-4200

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I think you're going to find both types of people, for me it's definitely yes, because I like my stuff protected.
I also think as an investment it's the way to go.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Are people really paying $250 a night?

I may need to look into purchasing a rental.

Reactions: DWC

jones performance

Reaction score

some are... the covid lockdowns drove up prices and the friends i know that do airbnb stuff have been fully booked all year because of it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I average between 100-135 on non holiday weekends. Holidays I end up around 150-175 a night. I’ll never pay 200 a night.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I got buddies renting their houses for 500 a night for pretty avg (IMO) houses and they are booked solid.
Not saying they are not getting rented. But if they are paying 500 for an average house they are wasting money.

btw what is an average house to you?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’m thinking 400k house at $250 rent it out 8 nights per month and you covered the mortgage.

To easy what’s the catch?

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
The average night in the south side golf course area is 350 per night up to two boats 8 person big weekends 500 per night

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i dont have a dog in the fight because i have never rented in Havasu. but to me parking the boat in the garage is not something i would pay extra for.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I would absolutely pay extra for it, but...... it’s not just the garage, it would have to have single story, not a steep driveway, not a busy street, pool. View would be nice too

But I own in Havasu so sorry, I’m out 😉

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Sky was the limit earlier this year.
$250 was nothing.

I’ll tell you this, as a long term renter that lives next to an Air BnB.
If you buy and make it a dedicated Air BnB be prepared to have the neighbors want to skin you alive. Be prepared to have multiple complaints to the police about your house.
UNLESS you seriously screen renters and enforce house rules.

DanG

Reaction score
When I was renting, I would not have wanted to pay extra for secured parking.

That being said, for investment purposes, I would say get the RV/Boat deep garage if it's in the budget. If plans ever change and you decide to sell it or even move into it, you will be happy you did.

As Bones stated, I would make the garage off limits, or possibly rent that space to a long term boat storage client. The owners of the house we used to rent kept their toys in the garage and it was off limits to renters. Worked well for us and never had an issue not having access to their garage as we spend our time on the lake.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses!

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Other than quick weekend trips, we only rent houses where the boat fits into the garage.

PlanB

Reaction score
I got buddies renting their houses for 500 a night for pretty avg (IMO) houses and they are booked solid.

I was going to say, we were getting $175.00 a night for regular weekends and $300.00 a night on holidays (3 night minimums) 20 years ago. We don't rent at all anymore, but I would not deal with the hassle or renting for less than a couple hundred of bucks a night with a 3 night minimum.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m thinking 400k house at $250 rent it out 8 nights per month and you covered the mortgage.

To easy what’s the catch?

That is renting it 3 weekends a month. You still have insurance, taxes, utilities, maintenance and repairs. You also aren’t factoring in rental fees unless you are gonna manage bookings yourself.

If you are doing it to just cover some of the costs of your vacation home, that is one thing. If you are doing it to make money, breaking even is loosing money. I don’t know that I would bother with the current Havasu prices, unless you have cash and are just parking your money, or there is other ways to add value to you - writing off costs associated with your trips to Havasu, etc.

PlanB

Reaction score
That is renting it 3 weekends a month. You still have insurance, taxes, utilities, maintenance and repairs. You also aren’t factoring in rental fees unless you are gonna manage bookings yourself.

If you are doing it to just cover some of the costs of your vacation home, that is one thing. If you are doing it to make money, breaking even is loosing money. I don’t know that I would bother with the current Havasu prices, unless you have cash and are just parking your money, or there is other ways to add value to you - writing off costs associated with your trips to Havasu, etc.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future, because there are certainly people that are running vacation rentals out there as 100% rentals. The house across from us recently sold for 700K, and the buyer bought it and has a place in Maui that they are running as a business. When things eventually slow down, we will see who can hang on.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens in the future, because there are certainly people that are running vacation rentals out there as 100% rentals. The house across from us recently sold for 700K, and the buyer bought it and has a place in Maui that they are running as a business. When things eventually slow down, we will see who can hang on.

I’ve kept thinking of doing the same.. buying something as a 100% short term rental but at a cheaper budget. I keep getting cold feet and just don’t have a good feeling about the future uncertainty. Had I pulled the trigger 3-4 years ago I’d have enough equity built in I probably wouldn’t care.

I wish I would have had the balls to just liquify everything and buy 6-8 properties 7-8 years ago.. I probably wouldn’t even need to work today lol.

sintax

Reaction score

Thats whats tripping me out, Kelco just built a house across the street from us, it just sold for 630k. Its a nice house and all but man, it would scare me to be getting into the market at that price. I saw what happened in 2010...

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I rent out there when I can find a house. Yes, I’d pay a little more for indoor boat parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River918

Reaction score
We only rent houses that have garages large enough to fit the boat (don't want to take it back to storage every night, or leave it outside). Yes, the houses do generally cost a little more than the one's without inside boat parking, but it's worth it to us. Besides the peace of mind having it inside, we like to wipe the boat down and clean it out at the end of the day inside the garage instead of the boat ramp.

just_floatin

Reaction score
I rent my place out in the summer (two customers) in a gated community for one week stays to comply with the CCNR / HOA regulations. The 45’ RV garage is an extra 200 dollars per week for their boats. My advice, purchase the home with the RV garage and charge extra. RV garages also have better resale IMO. Good luck with your endeavors.

Mike K

Reaction score
No question about “with“ a RV garage ... not so much a question about will that renter give you another $50 a night ... the real question is “ will my house go up in value faster and higher with a RV garage ... that answer is a huge yes. ... answer this ... have you seen any new homes built in the past 5 to 10 years “without” an RV garage?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thats whats tripping me out, Kelco just built a house across the street from us, it just sold for 630k. Its a nice house and all but man, it would scare me to be getting into the market at that price. I saw what happened in 2010...

Food for thought.. you saw what happened in 2010 and look where it is now in 2020. By 2030 we will be wishing for 2020 prices.

hallett21

Reaction score
We keep our garage sealed off from renters. I’d say the garage would be worth and extra $50-75 per night.

We rent our 3/3 no pool for $325 3 night minimum. $4-500 on holiday weekends.

We went as high as $600 during the Covid summer rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
Food for thought.. you saw what happened in 2010 and look where it is now in 2020. By 2030 we will be wishing for 2020 prices.

possible, but I’d rather bide my time and wait for the next 2009-2010 and swoop up some duplex / triplex units. We ended up rolling in a SoCal rental into our havasu rental, so it was a straight across deal about 3 years ago.