WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for so cal LE

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It’s been suggested to me a couple of items in my truck my get me in trouble on a traffic stop?
31F4392E-2A05-4B84-8121-423D600C5919.jpeg

The hand axe I keep under the back seat, with a collapsible shovel, a heavy snap cord and a couple other extraction cords, toe downs, gloves and various hand tools.
The tire thumper I keep in the drivers door pocket, as it’s handy to get when one needs to check 6 truck tires and however many are on whatever trailer imay or may not be behind the truck.
Do I need to modify my program?

Backlash

Reaction score
CA PC 22210. Possession of a billy club, baton, etc.

I didn't double check the details of the section, but that's where I would look to clarify the baton with the lanyard.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
CA PC 22210. Possession of a billy club, baton, etc.

I didn't double check the details of the section, but that's where I would look to clarify the baton with the lanyard.
Should I take off the lanyard?🤔😇

Edit** it does say “Tire thumper” on the other side.🤷‍♂️

Backlash

Reaction score
I don't think the lanyard is what matters. You just need to determine if it fits within the details outlined in that section. I know the prohibited weapons sections are sometimes pretty vague. I would just hate to see you hooked up because some young uneducated boot was trying to make an arrest off a simple traffic stop.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I don't think the lanyard is what matters. You just need to determine if it fits within the details outlined in that section. I know the prohibited weapons sections are sometimes pretty vague. I would just hate to see you hooked up because some young uneducated boot was trying to make an arrest off a simple traffic stop.
That’s sorta why I’m asking these guys, lol

Bear Down

Reaction score
This was about 25 years ago... but I use to carry a club/pipe like that in-between my seats.... I got pulled over, cop was super cool, asked why I was carrying it in the car.. being a kid, I told him the truth and he said "next time lie and say its a tool"

zhandfull

Reaction score
Looks like the tool kit of a serial killer that you would see on the news or dateline.

Still have an old 6 cell maglite that I use to carry in the truck years ago. Wonder if that would be legal?

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Sad that this has even become something that even needs to be questioned . Its a frickin stick . If your not caught beating a old person with it its still just a stick in your truck . Tell them its none of there buisness what its for.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
It’s been suggested to me a couple of items in my truck my get me in trouble on a traffic stop?
View attachment 955937
The hand axe I keep under the back seat, with a collapsible shovel, a heavy snap cord and a couple other extraction cords, toe downs, gloves and various hand tools.
The tire thumper I keep in the drivers door pocket, as it’s handy to get when one needs to check 6 truck tires and however many are on whatever trailer imay or may not be behind the truck.

The "toe" downs are a problem issue. 🤔

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
They "smelt" a gas leak and needed to enter your vehicle because they feared for your safety

If they "LOOK" under your seat and find these items, it is considered "A Concealed Weapon" My Son found out the Hard Way with a Night stick behing his PU Seat. Then several other Minor deals. "Stacking The Charges" = Gaining Points in the "System"😞 A Great way to give Young People a Reason to Think Twice about The Legal System.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If they "LOOK" under your seat and find these items, it is considered "A Concealed Weapon" My Son found out the Hard Way with a Night stick behing his PU Seat. Then several other Minor deals. "Stacking The Charges" = Gaining Points in the "System"😞 A Great way to give Young People a Reason to Think Twice about The Legal System.

Maybe that could have been avoided if you had told him to calm down before leaving the house.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 955937

So who was making this suggestion? Your girlfriend?

😁

hallett21

Reaction score
Looks like the tool kit of a serial killer that you would see on the news or dateline.

Still have an old 6 cell maglite that I use to carry in the truck years ago. Wonder if that would be legal?

Got pulled over with one wedged between my seats. Cop says “that’s an illumination device right?” Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Gelcoater, you should toss that stuff and just get some super whoop ass pepper spray. You’ll be better off....

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Funny story . . . maybe 30 years ago I was just a kid working as a helper laying quarry tile on a large super market project. One day on the way home from work, the guy I was driving with got into a road-rage deal on the freeway w/ another construction dude. So they both pull over at an off-ramp . . . I look back and the other guy jumps out of his truck and reaches over the bed and pulls a framing out of a bucket and starts walking over . . . meanwhile, the joker I'm with reaches into his tools and pulls out a 3/8"x3/8" notch trowell !!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: . . . once he realized the other dude was coming at him w/ a hammer, he flipped around and jumped back in the truck and we peeled out . . . . I was laughing SO HARD, I said, "What were you planning on doing with that trowel, spreading him all over the road"?????? LOL !!!!!!!

4Waters

Reaction score
The hatchet would be a problem, the tire thumper I would think is fine especially since it says "tire thumper" on it, and every truck driver carries one in their trucks to check their tires everytime they stop. Maybe don't have it in your reach.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have 2 teenagers in travel ball so I almost always have a bat bag in my truck so I am good to go.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Fuck.😡
Thinking about it now, there is a roll of shrink wrap tape in there. And a roll of sheet plastic.
The plastic has been in there for some years now. I do atomize “paint” for a living.🤷‍♂️

But all combined I could see how some unsuspecting LE might think I’m...
F23923A0-0411-4F20-8D21-1A5C2DD6046B.jpeg

Guess I need to clean some shot out of the truck.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The hatchet would be a problem, the tire thumper I would think is fine especially since it says "tire thumper" on it, and every truck driver carries one in their trucks to check their tires everytime they stop. Maybe don't have it in your reach.

But tires are black.....

probablecause

Reaction score
First off, why would a cop "toss" or search your vehicle without your consent or some sort of probable cause or arrest, etc?
Here is your 12020 PC - "possesses any leaded cane, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a billy, blackjack, sandbag, sandclub, sap, or slungshot, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year."

Manufacturing of these weapons is also a crime so I guess Louisville Slugger Corp is guilty of thousands of Felonies...

18" Bat

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
View attachment 955937

I think you are fine with both of those in your car/truck. The hatchet is not illegal until you use it against somebody and you are not justified in defending yourself life/death situation. I would get rid of the lanyard on the tire thumper/measuring stick. If asked why you have it in your truck, its a tool you use for work. It's not likely that your truck would get searched for any criminal reasons. The only other way would be if you gave consent.

I have seen items like this get good folks in serious trouble many times. They get mad at someone, road rage incident and the like. You get pissed, they are readily available and the next thing you know, you have turned a minor issue into a FELONY. If you have time to stop and get under the back seat, you likely have time to drive away and avoid any conflict.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t know why they would ever know you had it?

Then I can’t understand what is with the hatchet??

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Bunch of hooligans up in here.

Question....... if said weapons......errrrr..... I meant tools where used in a fiery but mostly peaceful protest, are they legal?

What if one can play the race card, are those items then legal?

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Always carry a shotgun in the cab shells in the toolbox in back if asked going to gunsmith .

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Dam and to think I’m worried about my rifle.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Being the son of a Retired CHP moto officer (CHIPS my favorite show growing up) I always kept the old school "D"" cell OG CHP issued Mag Lite in my truck as a kid driving. It's a flashlight, not a "weapon" sir 😂 I still have his Old Baton w/ the side handle on it.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Shit, hook me up. Gloves in every door pocket. Two of four doors have utility knives, I do carry a hatchet,duct tape,bungee cords and an old table cloth and tent stakes. Supplies from scouting days.