WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question For The Concrete Folks.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We just put an offer on this place and I'm pretty sure I know what causes this, is there anyway to actually repair this driveway or will it have to be completely redone?
driveway.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
I can't think of a way to repair it but the power of RDP could strike again. Watching

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I am wondering if @headlesshula would have a suggestion, I don’t know if an overlay would work on that or not it might be just as expensive.

@Headless hula

cofooter

Reaction score
Watching, I have some of that as well. Wondering what causes it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Might be able to use this product. Seems like you would have a big area. I would test it or find someone who has done it. Seems like a gamble to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Nice place! Where is it?

HocusPocus

Reaction score
Nice place! Where is it?
It's in the High Desert, near Phelan where I live now. I currently have 2 homes on one property and my daughter and son in law want to rent out the main house and my son and his fiancee want to rent out the back house.. so I gotta move. :)

jetur

Reaction score
Looks like it was poured with way too much water in it, or there could have been something wrong with the batch from the plant. If it was a walking surface you might have a shot at a skim coat. Being that it's a driving surface remove and replace or the failures will return over time.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
That concrete was tamped. Exterior flatwork should never be tamped.. pushes the aggregate down, and bring too much water to the top.

Tear it out and start over. It’ll only get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraDave

Reaction score
I kinda like the stained and tell it’s stamped idea. People pay good money for those imperfections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Overlay would be a bandaid, but it would look better...... For a while.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Sandblast it all and go with the exposed aggregate look

I like this idea. Maybe just replace the apron in front of the garage if that too is nasty and deteriorating. I just can’t imagine the cost of removal and repour for purely aesthetic reasons. If it’s all cracked and falling apart, that’s another story, but doesn’t appear to be the case.

500bbc

Reaction score
Contact Sinak, most likely high sulphates in the soil, they have a fix.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My pops did concrete his whole life. He said it’s asr aka concrete cancer and it’s got to go
What would be the cause? No point in repouring it if it will just happen again.

We don't have those issues in SoCal.

cofooter

Reaction score
What would be the cause? No point in repouring it if it will just happen again.

We don't have those issues in SoCal.

I just gogled ASR Concrete. Chemical reaction between the alkaline and concrete.

cofooter

Reaction score
Yeah I searched up on it. Alkaline come from the soil or the batch plant?
Where I am I suspect it comes from the soil, it migrates up due to the high water table. However, not all concrete is affected so theres got to be some type of relation between concrete recipe and soil and moisture in the soil I would think.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
My understanding that asr is a combo of free silcates and excess alkali metals reacting to form NaOH or KOH. Which degrades the concrete. Its been years since i have messed with that stuff

I know there are several test of the materials used to make the mix that can be tested at the batch plant

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So does this come down to removal, grading down and putting in a base, then pouring concrete over it?

Just my 2c's, but I'd seal it and call it intentional texturing unless you have the funds to completely remove and replace.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
7C390A9C-ADF0-4D46-8C2C-6C80D245B2ED.jpeg
Yeah I searched up on it. Alkaline come from the soil or the batch plant?
Where I am I suspect it comes from the soil, it migrates up due to the high water table. However, not all concrete is affected so theres got to be some type of relation between concrete recipe and soil and moisture in the soil I would think.
I suspect it’s a combination of both especially out here in the desert. In the late 80s early 90s I drove cement mixers out here and there was always a problem with washing the aggregate and getting it as clean as it should be. I am far from an expert but I know this was talked about a lot back in the day.
I think a lot depending on the time of year and what batch plant your load of mud came from, I have the same problem at my own house. Some parts of my patio that were poured at a different time are a lot worse than other parts.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It seems that that gradual damage that occurs after rains from alkaline coming up though the slab is a little different than the drive way, which seems like it happened during the pour or right after.:confused:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Will the 10 mill plastic keep it from happening? You have any issues ever? I have never seen it by me or had a issue. Have heard that Havasu and some parts of Parker have issues but Todd said he doesn't like to use plastic.

HocusPocus

Reaction score
I am under the impression it was put on too wet, or tamped down like mentioned earlier, I made this mistake before and this was the end result, there is nothing exposed from what I have seen as far as rebar. This driveway is pretty big and I don't want to have to replace it anytime soon, may just have to leave it for now. I appreciate the input and ideas, I have a little better understanding on what I'm up against.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Have you already bought the place? If not ask for a credit for the drive way. I just poured 20 yards at house that is already in Escrow. The drive way helped it sell. It was a package deal remove replace with rebar $12,500.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Would it help to chemically strip it, maybe stain it as mentioned above, and then use a concrete sealer? Or is that coming from the bottom up?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
One other thing I didn’t mention in my earlier post, when I was driving a mixer truck I saw a lot of poor workmanship as far as adding way too much water to the mix to make it easier to work and poor, I’m wondering if this may be a result of that.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Have you already bought the place? If not ask for a credit for the drive way. I just poured 20 yards at house that is already in Escrow. The drive way helped it sell. It was a package deal remove replace with rebar $12,500.
20 yards with remove, replace and rebar for 12,500? That is a great price.

NicPaus

Reaction score
20 yards with remove, replace and rebar for 12,500? That is a great price.
I added 6 tons of base and compacted to fix the grade as well. Repeat customer package deal price. I was able to use the machine to do most the work myself while crew did the inside of the house. Had to sub out the finishing. 2 finishers 2 days 1 truck a day.
20200109_110726.jpg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

You should see that shit perk into the walls and fill electrical boxes.

HocusPocus

Reaction score
Didn't buy it yet, we just put in an offer. It's a big house.. well for us anyway 2800 sq ft on 3 acres and has a 40' deep garage with room for 4 cars in the other 2 bays, it's a short sale and 3 banks have loans on it, so it has to clear them then it would go into a 30 day escrow, so it's still up in the air but I know our offer was the highest and we are ready to pay. Here is another pic that shows the size of the driveway.
drivway1.jpg

cofooter

Reaction score
Didn't buy it yet, we just put in an offer. It's a big house.. well for us anyway 2800 sq ft on 3 acres and has a 40' deep garage with room for 4 cars in the other 2 bays, it's a short sale and 3 banks have loans on it, so it has to clear them then it would go into a 30 day escrow, so it's still up in the air but I know our offer was the highest and we are ready to pay. Here is another pic that shows the size of the driveway.
View attachment 839414
Any sign of the spalling inside the house? Under carpet or popped tiles? May want to double check.

WYRD

Reaction score
I honestly wonder if it is from salt in the winter for de-icing?

HocusPocus

Reaction score
The house slab seems sold and according to the original owner who had the house built, the driveway was added a few years later with the help of a "family friend" and not a contractor.
There is a lot of nice tile work inside and we checked to see if anything was off and nothing stood out and the smaller bedroom had the carpet removed and it looked fine as well. If the offer is accepted all of that will be inspected by a pro, which I am not.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Try Xypex. It is waterproofing coating. But it uses "Crystalline Technology" LOL. It enters the substrate and fills in all the little holes and capillaries with crystals, making it waterproof. Experiment in one section. Read the instructions, as Xypex needs to stay damp for a while.

It is a powder, mixes with water and you sort of roll it on like paint, then use a bristle brush to work it into the surface. Two coats of that... then use that Quickcrete overlay. It would probably stick and last pretty well.

https://www.quikrete.com/productlines/concreteresurfacer.asp

Easy enough to do yourself and and you could work at your own pace, doing a section every weekend.