WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the contractors....

harleypauls

Reaction score
I have to build a 5' x 16' ( below the inlet) seepage pit for the "granny house" I am building. My question is how do I dig the hole. It is going to need to be about 6' in diameter(rough, so I can add the brick walls) and I need to go down about 20'!! Any suggestions?

Paul

Sharpy

Reaction score
An Excavator or possibly a 510 J.D. backhoe would work but I wouldn't set foot in that deep'a hole. You'll prolly need to bench it every 3-4' to insure some saftey. This method will make for a large excavation area. Another way would be to dig the trench and use hydraulic shoring and plywood to secure the banks. If you have the room the larger excavation would be the cheaper way to go.

harleypauls

Reaction score
Thanks Sharpy. Do you think I can get away with just "benching" one side. I have really good access on one side, but not on the other 3.
:smackhead

rocket98

Reaction score
Thanks Sharpy. Do you think I can get away with just "benching" one side. I have really good access on one side, but not on the other 3.
:smackhead

Would you want to be down in that hole only benched on one side? I would bench it all the way around or use shoring.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I'm no contractor, but, I'd beg you to PLEASE shore it as you go.

I've been on trench rescues, never a good thing for the fella in the hole.:(

rocket98

Reaction score
I have to build a 5' x 16' ( below the inlet) seepage pit for the "granny house" I am building. My question is how do I dig the hole. It is going to need to be about 6' in diameter(rough, so I can add the brick walls) and I need to go down about 20'!! Any suggestions?

Paul

Another thought. How about using a precast storm drain then you could just lower it in the hole. When I have built septic systems. When the supplier bring the tanks out they set them in place. This way you would not have to build the walls. If you build the walls you are going to have to incorporate scaffolding in the walls as you come up. Then cut it out later.

harleypauls

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will probably just sub it out, but it will depend on the $$$$...
I will let you knowhow it goes.:beer:D

wishiknew

Reaction score
You might want to think about hiring a contractor to do this part of your project SAFETY IS #1 in this case!!!!!!!!!!

atomickitn

Time for a Change
Reaction score
1 to 1 is the rule of thumb.....in anything over 5 deep...or bench it out, if you don't the city might shut you down, or the fire dept will close your site as well for safety, then osha will be on your azzz, like a stinky diaper

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
I think you should blast... lots and lots of dynamite!!! Repeat as necessary. :beer:D

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
That is the best idea I have heard of yet!! I knew I could count on you Jordy!!:D:beer

People helping people. I just want an invite to the dynamite show!!! :beer:D

p.s. I know people who can get dynamite if you have a hard time finding it, although I'm sure it's abundant in Fontucky. They sell it right down the street from my office in fact. :D:D:D

harleypauls

Reaction score
People helping people. I just want an invite to the dynamite show!!! :beer:D

p.s. I know people who can get dynamite if you have a hard time finding it, although I'm sure it's abundant in Fontucky. They sell it right down the street from my office in fact. :D:D:D

Maybe we could go fishing:D:D:D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
best advise I can give you is to get the check book out.:D