WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the east Texas fellas

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
This afternoon I sent off a deposit check for a boat in magnolia Texas. My plan was to make the run from southern California to Texas via the 10. It shows 1900 miles one way, anybody have advice for the trip?

Google maps shows it to be around 22hrs but I have a feeling the traffic in the major cities will add significant time to that trip.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

shunter2005

Reaction score
The drive sucks any way you go. When I went to Havasu (1400 mi) from Houston to get my boat, I went I10 going out and I40 coming back. I really hate I10 from Kerrville to El Paso. You can run 80 out of Kerrville for a looonnnngggg while and then 85 on into EP area, but it's still a long hard drive with nothing but jackrabbits and rattlesnakes to look at. An FYI, saw more state boys from EP to about 50 mi east of EP than on the whole rest of the trip. Another place you have to be careful is around Lordsberg NM. They will hammer you on speed. From all I heard, no breaks and go directly to the judge to post bond. What ever the limit is there, I ran about 3-4 mph UNDER the limit. I did detour around Phoenix via I8 thru Gila Bend (I think), but that was worse than the I10 in west Texas. Going out, I made it from Houston to Las Cruces in about 12 hrs or so. Coming back, I made it from Havasu to Clovis NM and then came on in.

You go to Magnolia to see this boat before you buy? If you need anything, let me know. I live about an hour away from Magnolia. Keep my boat at Lake Conroe, just east of there.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
The drive sucks any way you go. When I went to Havasu (1400 mi) from Houston to get my boat, I went I10 going out and I40 coming back. I really hate I10 from Kerrville to El Paso. You can run 80 out of Kerrville for a looonnnngggg while and then 85 on into EP area, but it's still a long hard drive with nothing but jackrabbits and rattlesnakes to look at. An FYI, saw more state boys from EP to about 50 mi east of EP than on the whole rest of the trip. Another place you have to be careful is around Lordsberg NM. They will hammer you on speed. From all I heard, no breaks and go directly to the judge to post bond. What ever the limit is there, I ran about 3-4 mph UNDER the limit. I did detour around Phoenix via I8 thru Gila Bend (I think), but that was worse than the I10 in west Texas. Going out, I made it from Houston to Las Cruces in about 12 hrs or so. Coming back, I made it from Havasu to Clovis NM and then came on in.

You go to Magnolia to see this boat before you buy? If you need anything, let me know. I live about an hour away from Magnolia. Keep my boat at Lake Conroe, just east of there.
Great info, thank you. I am local to havasu as well, what made you drive to pick up your boat vs shipping it. I'm trying to weigh out all my options. I have a crew cab dually diesel that I would most likely use for the trip. My other thought was to take my parents class c motor home that I could pull off and sleep if needed vs trying to do the hotel bit.

Yeah the boat I bought I went out on a limb with. It's actually a bass boat that wasn't a common model and especially with this one in the shape its in, optioned out the way it is and for the price I had to roll the dice before I lost my opportunity.

-Chet

rrrr

Reaction score
I've done the drive from the Houston area to San Diego, it was around 1,500 miles. What's your location? The 1,900 miles doesn't sound right.

A 1,900 mile trip in 22 hours is averaging over 85 MPH. I don't think that's gonna happen. One trip I made we drove straight through with three drivers, 1,500 miles, and it took 26 hours. Only stopped for gas and fast food. Ran 70 MPH as much as possible, and that was about a 58 MPH average. You won't beat that towing a boat. It's gonna be at least 30 hours of driving.

You should consider finding a Discount Tire store and buy new tires for the trailer. Take bearing sets with you, and change 'em out before you hit the road. If you blow a tire or burn up bearings between Midland and Van Horn in the middle of the night it won't be pretty.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I've done the drive from the Houston area to San Diego, it was around 1,500 miles. What's your location? The 1,900 miles doesn't sound right.

A 1,900 mile trip in 22 hours is averaging over 85 MPH. I don't think that's gonna happen. One trip I made we drove straight through with three drivers, 1,500 miles, and it took 26 hours. Only stopped for gas and fast food. Ran 70 MPH as much as possible, and that was about a 58 MPH average. You won't beat that towing a boat. It's gonna be at least 30 hours of driving.

You should consider finding a Discount Tire store and buy new tires for the trailer. Take bearing sets with you, and change 'em out before you hit the road. If you blow a tire or burn up bearings between Midland and Van Horn in the middle of the night it won't be pretty.
I'm actually in temecula so close to you. I believe door to door it showed around 1550 miles.

Yeah the plans are for bearings to be done, tires on the trailer and shrink wrap the boat.

I'm also looking into bids on u ship but I have some reservations about the smaller hotsot guys with insurance and such. All and all I'm it will be fine it's still a thought in the back of my mind though

shunter2005

Reaction score
Great info, thank you. I am local to havasu as well, what made you drive to pick up your boat vs shipping it. I'm trying to weigh out all my options. I have a crew cab dually diesel that I would most likely use for the trip. My other thought was to take my parents class c motor home that I could pull off and sleep if needed vs trying to do the hotel bit.

Yeah the boat I bought I went out on a limb with. It's actually a bass boat that wasn't a common model and especially with this one in the shape its in, optioned out the way it is and for the price I had to roll the dice before I lost my opportunity.

-Chet

I have used a shipping co before and had a great experience. Had my old Checkmate shipped from Michigan to Texas back in '09. It was about $1300 back then. It would have cost a lot more when I got the current boat in Havasu. Just weighed the cost of going myself vs shipping and making the drive was the most economical for me at that time. Fuel, food and 2 nights in hotel was a lot cheaper than to have it shipped. I planned to make the drive and find a place to stop every two hrs or so, just to break up the trip, whether for gas, bathrooms or just to walk around for a few minutes to stretch the legs.

It was about 19 hrs door to door for me. I do remember going I40 and going through a lot of small Texas towns on farm to market roads to get home was a little longer, but at least it wasn't nearly as boring as the I10 route.

If you do use uship, make sure they have their DOT papers and insurance. The better ones will have a large insurance policy, like $1 mil + in coverage. If they have all that, they won't mind emailing it to you beforehand. My guy called me a couple of times a day to let me know where he was at. I followed him on google maps during his drive. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a guy who dropped a load and needs to get back to the west coast and doesn't want to deadhead back. Might get a little discount that helps both of you.

Good Luck

TexasJet

Reaction score
Avoid Houston I10 during daylight hours. It's a bitch for sure.

Edit: I just looked at Google Earth. Coming in on I10 on the west side of Houston take 99 North to 249 to Magnolia.

Curious, who are you buying the boat from? I know a few people that live there and kind of are in the boat selling business. One guy in particular has the initials R.A.

Last edited: