WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the experts

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
looking at a boat with a Merc 150 and it apparently has issues. Owners says it starts and idols fine but the second you give it some throttle it dies.

I am assuming that it’s a “accelerator pump” issue but I don’t know shit about OB motors.

Thoughts from the pros??

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
looking at a boat with a Merc 150 and it apparently has issues. Owners says it starts and idols fine but the second you give it some throttle it dies.

I am assuming that it’s a “accelerator pump” issue but I don’t know shit about OB motors.

Thoughts from the pros??

I don't think the Merc carbs have an accelerator pump. I've been on EFI so long I can't remember for sure. What I can say is if you accelerate slowly it doesn't need an accelerator pump and you could choke it as you bring it up to prove it's a fuel problem. Could be main jets but with 3 carbs it's unlikely that all three carbs have a problem.

HST4ME

Reaction score
The stator has high and low speed windings 1800-2200 rpm is usually the cross over point. If you have a DVA meter it is easy to check.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
The stator has high and low speed windings 1800-2200 rpm is usually the cross over point. If you have a DVA meter it is easy to check.
Good call! I have had a high speed side of a stator fail but for me it just wouldn't pull a load above idle. He said it dies? I was thinking about that last night. I agree it does seem more like he has an electrical problem. One thing came to mind is that the trigger could have a broken wire and when the throttle is moved the connection breaks. One of the ways I check ignition problems is with a timing light. You can watch it as you advance the throttle and see if the spark drops out or gets intermittent. Also helps to track down a bad coil or switch box by moving the timing light to each plug wire.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I may have some parts available if you find the problem.