WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the Hot Rod guys..

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I hear ya rivermobster....Just giving Brandin a hard time...He regrets selling his C-10 and is trying to justify the little cute Infinity...:)

IMG_0526.jpg

I'm good with my new hotrod...lol

700hp suspension and brakes to back it all up[emoji41][emoji12]

stoker22405

Reaction score
Some people are ok with looking cute if there winning the race;):D

What race...The 91fwy from Corona to Tustin....Common dude....Old cars have character....New cars are cookie cutters.....You should of done a LS package in that c-10 ....You would of had the best of both worlds....And dont start with the "Invest" 50k in a classic that is worth 20k....New cars lose more than old....You build or buy to enjoy it...Not profit off of it...

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
If I had a huge garage and stupid $$$ I would love to have a full ilt custom classic. Like you said a 15K 5 year old infinity G37 with a manual is going to destroy most hotrodded classic's while sitting in that comfortable AC.

I just know what I like and that's a good handling car with alot of HP AC and a stereo. My G8 is now my hotrod and I just recently picked up a super clean 2 owner 2000 Camaro SS convertible with a 6 speed and 59K miles on the odo. The Camaro is a blast to drive and still gets with it and has unlimited potential with an ls based motor.

Call me crazy but i'm the opposite! Lol
Nothing gets the blood pumping like man handling, dodging potholes in my original 65 year old and 48 year old classics around these piece of shit streets in western Pennsylvania :D

SpectraPat

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, save your $$$. Soon you will have 2 in college! Every once in awhile, rent a classic and use it for date night.

In a few years you can build the truck in the back ground with your son and the cart with the grandson.....because you'll be RETIRED" :eek

IMG_0184.JPG

jesco

Reaction score
View attachment 583617

I'm good with my new hotrod...lol

700hp suspension and brakes to back it all up[emoji41][emoji12]

Cool car, but not what I'm looking for. I know it's not gonna be a "race car" and I'm fine with that. I want a cruiser, something that makes heads turn when driving down PCH (or Santa Margarita Pkwy, hahaha)

jesco

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, save your $$$. Soon you will have 2 in college! Every once in awhile, rent a classic and use it for date night.

In a few years you can build the truck in the back ground with your son and the cart with the grandson.....because you'll be RETIRED" :eek

View attachment 583673

Retiring is for old people.... I'm still a good 20 yrs from that stage of life... College is taken care of for my daughter and my son will take over the Jesco Empire, Hahahaha.

MOUZER

Reaction score
i know of a 55 chevy 210 2 door 327 hurst 4 speed running car but sitting in barn with 4 flat tires on old crager rims,,interior ok no rust he wants 16k...im hopeing i can figure out how i can get it.....

did not read all the post on this so...............try racingjunk.com

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Cool car, but not what I'm looking for. I know it's not gonna be a "race car" and I'm fine with that. I want a cruiser, something that makes heads turn when driving down PCH (or Santa Margarita Pkwy, hahaha)

Nothing wrong with a cool cruiser...I would love to do an old laid out Caddy or Lincoln I just know I would get bored with it.

jesco

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a cool cruiser...I would love to do an old laid out Caddy or Lincoln I just know I would get bored with it.

My business partner had a cool Lincoln (62 I think, with suicide back doors) and now has a late 60s convertible Caddy (use to be 49ers parade car supposedly). Really cool cars, when you're not wanting to get anywhere in a hurry. Hahaha

rvrrun

Reaction score

The pop-in-law got back from Havi last night and mentioned he might be selling his car. It's another older, high quality build. I'm not sure if he's just talking or really serious but can hook you guys up if interested. It has a B&M blown SBC/TH350 with Jag XKE under it.

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Chevro...%3A34354c1a15e0a88a43ddea70fffe0789%7Ciid%3A1

Anybody ever hear of Notorious ?? This car looks pretty legit. Never been a big fan of red but this one is starting to rub off on me.

Red is a great color, when it's time to sell. It looks like someone tried to fake a high dollar build (wheels, paint, interior) with a fairly run of the mill 56. It looks honest, but I would have a pro check it to make sure nothing is lurking under the paint.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

jones performance

Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
ive never heard of them, but thats a nice looking car. my favorite tri 5 is the 56. the only thing i see that would make it even better is an ls swap and AIR conditioning!
Oh shit. Your right Kev. I was so impressed with the interior, I didn't even notice it didn't have a/c! And on second look, I don't like the way that alternator is mounted either.

I still dig that interior though. It is going need Some work.

SpectraPat

Reaction score

jones performance

Reaction score
id love to pick up a 56 chevy, 68 camaro, 69 charger and some others, but those cars are just out of my price reach these days. so a couple other "hotrods" ive been thinking of picking up lately..

3 cars ive always wanted,

00D0D_hgl32djSMvw_1200x900.jpg
00f0f_hEsgaRawESA_1200x900.jpg
00z0z_e7KinpRCCV6_1200x900.jpg
00q0q_dNx2dGZskF0_1200x900.jpg
00S0S_eYWvmTDNLv3_1200x900.jpg
00T0T_ljyhSmzhbJT_1200x900.jpg
00101_iNl9SPvAUGL_1200x900.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think the third gens are making a come back. Honestly think a clean 4th gen is a good place to be as well.

Hard to find a clean well cared for Fox body for a good price.Shit I struggled to find one 10 years ago before the secret was out.

Those Aero Monte carlos SS's are already bringing some pretty good $$$. Engines are all terrible but I think a regular clean SS with a LS swap would be awesome.

80's elcaminos will always be a deal

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party here, been on the road but here's my two cents. :D

That first car was overpriced. Nice Tri-5's are pulling good money these days but that said, they built a gazillion of them and there are lots of them for sale. An LS is nice but certainly not required. You can add a throttle body FI system and improve drivablity and gas mileage. You most likely would want an overdrive trans too.

My recommendation is to figure out what you want first, then go hunting. Go to a lot of car shows, take lots of photos, talk to a lot of owners, get rides if you can. Big engine bad ass hot rods are fun but not always practical or nice to drive. Some nicely finished cars might be too slow for you. Lots of cars look really nice but don't drive well or have uncomfortable seating positions.

Watch out for "mish mash cars". This is what I call cars that were built by someone that couldn't decide what style car he wanted and ended up with a car that's a little of this and a little of that. Some resto-rod, some pro-touring, some smoothy high tech billet, some old school traditional, etc. Look for a car that was built with the same theme/style throughout.

I favor traditional builds that are timeless and don't follow trends. A lot of guys want the latest thing but then a few years down the road they want to dump them for something more up to date. That's a good way to buy a car cheap and then do a mild rebuild to make it your way. This is as long as they didn't fuck it up too much to begin with. I recently watched one of those Discovery channel TV shows on YouTube where they took a bitchin' all steel full fender Deuce 5 window with a flatty in it and hacked off the dropped bean axle and put in a cheap ass FatMan Pinto IFS! They didn't even go with the nicer Heidt's or similar tubular stainless setup, just the crappy coil spring and hat style that is clearly visible on a 32. Who ever buys that car will probably hack that shit off and put a dropped beam ax back in it!

A lot of guys have asked me to find them a nice clean restored muscle car. I ask if they ever owned one before and most of the time they say no so I tell them they don't want a stocker. We didn't leave them stock in the 70's for a reason. A resto-mod is what I usually recommend, stock looks but upgraded brakes, LS or other Fi engine, overdrive trans, a/c, etc. These will drive like a new car but retain the classic looks.

I've had a ton of early cars (1940's or older) that were "real hot rods" with big blown engines. Lots of fun but you have to be a bit hard core to drive them. I now have a couple early 60's full size muscle cars, a '64 Catalina 2+2 and a '63.5 Galaxie. Both air big block 4 speed cars. I prefer these over the later 60's/0's muscle cars and call them "pre-muscle cars'. They are big and comfortable with a/c and not the usual Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle, etc. You could drive them across the country in comfort and style. I'll be taking one of them on the Hot Rod Power Tour next year. I'll get another early car at some point soon but will be for short drives to local runs. I'm too old to be sweating my ass off and getting beat up in them for a long run.

So like I said, I recommend narrowing your search down to the type of car you want and trying to at least go for a ride in one before buying. Absolutely drive one you are looking at buying and bring someone with you if you are not experienced. Don't buy one over the internet without looking at it first! Don't be in a rush to get something either. Take your time and have fun looking. :thumbsup