WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the Hot Rod guys..

jesco

Reaction score
Been looking for a little while at hot rods. My stepdad and I were talking about a project to keep him busy, but he recently passed so I'm leaning more towards "turn key" or "minor project". Originally was looking at 32/33 Roadsters, and some C/10 and/or 50s trucks, and now switch gears to 55s. Found this... What says the RDP Hot Rod crowd? Worth the money? Overpriced? Found a pretty cool 55 on CL IE that needs completing but he's asking $35k... almost complete and has most the parts. This one "looks" pretty nice, and the wife likes the colors so that helps win her over.

https://www.smokymountaintraders.com/vehicles/362/1955-chevrolet-210

charlyox

Reaction score
I would buy something already done or close to it. I am restoring a '66 Mustang that I will NEVER get my money out of. Sometimes I wish I never started the restoration.

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm not a tri-five guy but that doesn't seem horrible to me, the downside is it has a 305 and a turbo 350 most guys will want a 350 and a 700 R4 at a bare minimum. Upside that's a driver, you could drive that thing everywhere. If it were me I would offer around 30k cash see what he says.

jesco

Reaction score
I'm not a tri-five guy but that doesn't seem horrible to me, the downside is it has a 305 and a turbo 350 most guys will want a 350 and a 700 R4 at a bare minimum. Upside that's a driver, you could drive that thing everywhere. If it were me I would offer around 30k cash see what he says.

My exact thoughts, that is the HUGE downside that I see... nothing $12k can't fix... hahahah. But I can probably find one with 350/700R4 for close to this one also, just something about this car

jesco

Reaction score
I would buy something already done or close to it. I am restoring a '66 Mustang that I will NEVER get my money out of. Sometimes I wish I never started the restoration.

Yeah, thats my concern, finish a car for $60/50k thats only worth $30/25k. I don't want a "show car" just something nice I can drive occasionally

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I would say if you could get it for 30K it would be a very cool cruiser. 55's are my all time favorites but I wouldn't want to find rust or restore one.

I don't think you would ever get hurt that bad as long as you didn't go HP crazy.

Not sure I would pay 38K for a 305/350 car that's an older build with some newer wheels.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I think if you buy an old to drive and enjoy worrying about what you can get later is a mistake. I have 67 lemans convertible I will never see what I have in it but I keep working on it anyways.

jesco

Reaction score
I think if you buy an old to drive and enjoy worrying about what you can get later is a mistake. I have 67 lemans convertible I will never see what I have in it but I keep working on it anyways.

Hahahaha, very true. I never worry about that stuff, never have. Every boat/offroad car I have built/bought and eventually sold was a "loser", but had a great time while I owned every one of them. Never looked back at what it cost to build vs what i sold them for, but ALWAYS had a smile while in the drivers seat.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Scan all the "Name" auto auctions, get a feel for what is out there and what they are actually selling for .

Lately the Barrett auctions on TV have shown some nice cars at very reasonable prices .

Some so cheap that I wouldn't even open my toolbox to work on a project car .

I would not be in a hurry, the right deal will come along ............

Groper

Reaction score
Find what you want that's "Completely Done" don't follow the others like myself included into the "Black Hole" :(

Kbach

Reaction score
For that kind of money I would expect an LS based motor trans.

I was in the same boat as you after selling an Offroad car - build something or buy something done. I found a '55 wagon with an LS truck based motor/trans that was all done for the right price (WAY less than $35k) and was able to enjoy it from day one. It's clean enough to get looks and compliments but not so clean I don't want to drive it so I'm glad I went that route. Of course now I've got the bug to build another truck so I'll probably end up selling it to make some room!! It's a viscous circle!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Seems high to me, that will end up being a 50k car quickly (and that the good guy price) when you freshen up the interior and do some mechanical work. Its a post car, with a very weak smog era motor / non-overdrive trans. I'd keep looking, or get the car sub 30k

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If you could get it for high 20's instead of high 30's you could help offset the inevitable LS swap....:)

I would not pay more than $25k for that particular vehicle, has had floor pans done and who knows what else on a 20 year old+ resto..that was a weird combo..305 really? :eek

But like everything in life, it may be better or worse when you get up close and inspect it a little. ;)

jesco

Reaction score
For that kind of money I would expect an LS based motor trans.

I was in the same boat as you after selling an Offroad car - build something or buy something done. I found a '55 wagon with an LS truck based motor/trans that was all done for the right price (WAY less than $35k) and was able to enjoy it from day one. It's clean enough to get looks and compliments but not so clean I don't want to drive it so I'm glad I went that route. Of course now I've got the bug to build another truck so I'll probably end up selling it to make some room!! It's a viscous circle!

Post up a pick, maybe I'll talk you into selling it... hahaha.

rvrrun

Reaction score
This is the best time to build a car. Patina and Mexican blankets are in, that means no expensive paint jobs or finished cars that are hiding a multitude of sins under that shiny paint. Mid-late 30s Fords are easy to work on and there are tons of inexpensive parts for them. We just finished this one and have just a hair over $10k in it. Like you mentioned, it's not a show car, but it does well on the highway, gets lots of looks and you won't be put out if it gets a door ding at the market.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Had to get the pics off my phone... IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Been looking for a little while at hot rods. My step and I were talking about a project to keep him busy, but he recently passed so I'm leaning more towards "turn key" or "minor project". Originally was looking at 32/33 Roadsters, and some C/10 and/or 50s trucks, and now switch gears to 55s. Found this... What says the RDP Hot Rod crowd? Worth the money? Overpriced? Found a pretty cool 55 on CL IE that needs completing but he's asking $35k... almost complete and has most the parts. This one "looks" pretty nice, and the wife likes the colors so that helps win her over.

Sorry about your loss. :(

It seems a bit over priced for what it is, what the others have said is spot on. But then again, these cars are getting harder and harder to find, that they are getting more and more expensive to build and buy.

Cars are weird in pics. Sometimes they look better, or worse, in person. You'd have to go see it to make a real judgment call. If all the suspension has been replaced too (tie rods, ball joints, bushing and all that) it could be worth Close to that asking price, if the body is as good as it looks.

An LS swap would be ideal. I LOVE the fact they really don't leak much at all, compared to a normal SBC! :thumbsup

rvrrun

Reaction score
For comparison, this car can be had for less than the 55. It was a six figure build in the early 90's and is immaculate in every way.

...but it's the wrong color and changing that is expensive. I almost bought it for my daughters first car, but it's too nice. The other car I posted is much more usable and more fun.

IMG_2451.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Here is the best advice I can give you, before you buy Anything, PLAN.

ie: I just had a guy bring us a 55 to get running. It has a monster LS build in it. A GEN3 block, a GEN4 intake, a GEN3 bear bones computer and wire harness, and he tells me the car is all wired. Yeah, no....

First thing I had to tell the poor guy was that all of the wiring is WRONG! Car would have probably burnt to the ground if they ever had tried to run it. We had to fix all the wiring and a ton of other stuff that was done wrong to this Frankenstein car. So much was wrong with this thing it was crazy. He had takin it to half a dozen different shops trying to save a few bucks. The guy had 40k in the car when it came to us, and it wasn't even drivable yet.

We put another 5k in the car just to get it to run. To say he was bummed is an understatement. AND, he has no interior in the car and the paint it the patina look!

He's in construction, so I told him....

When you go on a job, everything is already planed out, before the first shovel ever hits the dirt, right?!?

This is the correct way to build a car.

Get your costs all figured out first. Know who is gonna do what, and make sure they are capable of what they say they can do! Do you want a daily driver? A show car? A street racer? Figure out all this stuff FIRST!!!!

You can never plan too much, or ask too many questions. Know what the finished product will be before you start on a project and Know how much it will cost.

The headaches you will save, will be your own. :tbi

JayBreww

Reaction score
IMG_0161.jpg
You'll find a 55 out there for less. [emoji1303]

Cray Paper

Reaction score

Those are cool today, but will be the same burden that the purple car you showed later will be in 10 years. Clean resto-mods will always be in style and worth money. Hard to go wrong with e tri-fi chevy with white and pastel blue, other than the powertrane posted by the OP. WTF puts a 305 in anything on purpose? Would make me question the build, but that's just me.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Those are cool today, but will be the same burden that the purple car you showed later will be in 10 years. Clean resto-mods will always be in style and worth money. Hard to go wrong with e tri-fi chevy with white and pastel blue, other than the powertrane posted by the OP. WTF puts a 305 in anything on purpose? Would make me question the build, but that's just me.

The 350 that was in it blowed up.. a 305 was shoved in to sell the car.

rvrrun

Reaction score

Wel.... The engine in that '38 is a 305. One of the must haves for my '32 was the 283 (I love the sound of a small bore, high winding mill). Luckily, Trick Flow likes the 305 and makes an HO inspired aluminum head that works great and allowed me to use flat tops and run regular.

The 305 in the '38 was a freebie that turned out to need a complete rebuild. If you get rid of the dished pistons, they are not horrible.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has this since you had mentioned 32's...
Titled AS a 32 Ford Roadster pickup, Steel body, new 289 w/ C4 Trans. Asking 19k OBO Located in Salt Lake City, Utah

IMG_2486.JPG IMG_2487.JPG IMG_2488.JPG IMG_2489.JPG IMG_2490.JPG IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2493.JPG IMG_2494.JPG IMG_2495.JPG IMG_2496.JPG IMG_2497.JPG

rvrrun

Reaction score

I'm not sure what that is, but it certainly isn't a 32 RPU.

JayBreww

Reaction score
What's a project like that go for now days?

I paid $4,500 for it. No engine or trans. Trims all there, along with interior. Floors, rockers and quarters are solid. Been sitting since 71.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
I'm not sure what that is, but it certainly isn't a 32 RPU.

Ok, sorry about that, wasn't trying to mislead, that's the info i was given. Guess it was constructed and somehow got it Titled AS a 32RPU. I edited it to say "AS"

Kbach

Reaction score
Post up a pick, maybe I'll talk you into selling it... hahaha.

Here ya go. It's got its flaws and is easy to nitpick when you start looking at it closely but the way I see it, I didn't build it so I'm ok with that. I bought it to have some fun with the family and it's served its purpose perfectly. The only thing I've done since I've had it is put a vortech supercharger on it...just because!!

IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0289.jpg

whipple charged

Reaction score
Been looking for a little while at hot rods. My stepdad and I were talking about a project to keep him busy, but he recently passed so I'm leaning more towards "turn key" or "minor project". Originally was looking at 32/33 Roadsters, and some C/10 and/or 50s trucks, and now switch gears to 55s. Found this... What says the RDP Hot Rod crowd? Worth the money? Overpriced? Found a pretty cool 55 on CL IE that needs completing but he's asking $35k... almost complete and has most the parts. This one "looks" pretty nice, and the wife likes the colors so that helps win her over.

be very careful of these guys.. do a google search of them..
there some bad stuff about them.. as too body and paint work...

jesco

Reaction score
be very careful of these guys.. do a google search of them..
there some bad stuff about them.. as too body and paint work...

Yeah, Im already over that car. Looks good in pics but Im guessing not as good in person. I think CT said it best, 15 yr old resto with new wheels, worth mid 20s at best with that motor/trans package. Im gonna keep looking, maybe even hit Barrett in AZ, its on the bucket list to go to and buy a car.... maybe its time to take that off the list. :)

jesco

Reaction score
Here ya go. It's got its flaws and is easy to nitpick when you start looking at it closely but the way I see it, I didn't build it so I'm ok with that. I bought it to have some fun with the family and it's served its purpose perfectly. The only thing I've done since I've had it is put a vortech supercharger on it...just because!!

View attachment 583426
View attachment 583427

Thats a cool wagon, always liked those.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thats a cool wagon, always liked those.

Agree. Functional too!

The nice thing about the tri-fives is you can buy just about any part you want for them...

You drop in a LS powertrain, Vintage Air kit, Dakota Digital dash, tilt wheel and all Lokar components, and you have yourself a Real nice daily driver!!!

Plan, plan, plan. Do your own homework. It's not all that tough to do. :thumbsup

rvrrun

Reaction score
Yeah, Im already over that car. Looks good in pics but Im guessing not as good in person. I think CT said it best, 15 yr old resto with new wheels, worth mid 20s at best with that motor/trans package. Im gonna keep looking, maybe even hit Barrett in AZ, its on the bucket list to go to and buy a car.... maybe its time to take that off the list. :)

Be careful at the auctions, know exactly what you want and what problem areas to look for. We stay in business fixing "perfect" cars from those sales. We are just finishing this truck that was purchased at Mecum. It wouldn't even make it off the trailer and the new owner is another $15k in it over his purchase price. Some of that is changing wheels and other parts, but a good portion was fixing electrical and drivetrain.

IMG_3460.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Be careful at the auctions, know exactly what you want and what problem areas to look for. We stay in business fixing "perfect" cars from those sales. We are just finishing this truck that was purchased at Mecum. It wouldn't even make it off the trailer and the new owner is another $15k in it over his purchase price. Some of that is changing wheels and other parts, but a good portion was fixing electrical and drivetrain.

This x1000

Half of my work as well comes from people that went somewhere else, got completely ripped off, and then end up with us to fix it. It's sad. Hate to see this happen! But it happens on a regular basis. Same here as well, the electrical is almost Always an issue. :(

jesco

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Im in no hurry so just gonna wait it out. Following a few on eBay that I like to see where they end up price wise... I know eBay is not the best source, but at least something to watch

rvrrun

Reaction score
We buy lots of cars on eBay. That '38 I posted was worse than advertised but not horribly. We bought a '56 F100 and the owner claimed no rust or rot. When it got here all of the usual places were rusted out. The seller said "around here, we don't call it rust until you can stick your foot through it". If it's too far to look at yourself, the money paid for an independent inspection is worth it. It can be worse with finished cars, paint and upholstery can hide a multitude of sins.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Im in no hurry so just gonna wait it out. Following a few on eBay that I like to see where they end up price wise... I know eBay is not the best source, but at least something to watch
EBay is an excellent source!

Pick the car you want, and then scroll down, and on the left side you will see a check box that says: Sold Auctions.

Click that, and you'll see what those cars actually sold for vs. the insanity some people are asking! Lol

People can ask what they want. What they get is a whole different story. [emoji6]

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I would never trust an ebay purchase I have had so may buddies screwed over on expensive restored cars....unless it was a junker you knew you were gonna have to completely tear down.

Old cars are cool but they aren't the bowl of cherries that people make them out to be. Like RM stated you are buying someone else's problem and 50 years of gremlins and poor craftsmanship.

I would tell anyone interested to buy into a cheaper classic (not a car that brings a huge premium) that's a semi clean driver and give it a try. You need to cut your teeth on a 10K car before you go gung ho and drop 30K plus fixes or modifications....You better be handy and do your own work or you are going to get murdered $$$ wise.

I'm a total car guy and have built some fun stuff over the years and owned a very nice 1969 short bed chevy. I have now learned that classic car's don't do much for me. Yes I" loved having a bad ass classic but it honestly did nothing for me as a driver. It was slow and was never going to be what I wanted as a toy without a full roadster shop chassis and a blown LS/6 speed manual transplant. I'm not at the point financially (I will never be;)) where I am ok with building stuff that looses 20-50K dollars as I am not a long term car keeper.

If anyone is interested I have essentially a complete 1949 chevy 3100 truck that needs a full restore in my side yard....truck was running when disassembled and includes several pallets of new parts and body panels. (my buddy actually owns it and its a weird situation and doesn't currently have a title because they did a custom full tilt sema build and needed the vin tag for that truck on a custom chassis. he is working on a new titled frame.

I think there is $$$$ to be made in the Ford short bed truck game.....This could be a deal at the right price

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-f100-shortbed/6281391513.html

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I would never trust an ebay purchase I have had so may buddies screwed over on expensive restored cars....unless it was a junker you knew you were gonna have to completely tear down.

Old cars are cool but they aren't the bowl of cherries that people make them out to be. Like RM stated you are buying someone else's problem and 50 years of gremlins and poor craftsmanship.

I would tell anyone interested to buy into a cheaper classic (not a car that brings a huge premium) that's a semi clean driver and give it a try. You need to cut your teeth on a 10K car before you go gung ho and drop 30K plus fixes or modifications....You better be handy and do your own work or you are going to get murdered $$$ wise.

I'm a total car guy and have built some fun stuff over the years and owned a very nice 1969 short bed chevy. I have now learned that classic car's don't do much for me. Yes I" loved having a bad ass classic but it honestly did nothing for me as a driver. It was slow and was never going to be what I wanted as a toy without a full roadster shop chassis and a blown LS/6 speed manual transplant. I'm not at the point financially (I will never be;)) where I am ok with building stuff that looses 20-50K dollars as I am not a long term car keeper.

If anyone is interested I have essentially a complete 1949 chevy 3100 truck that needs a full restore in my side yard....truck was running when disassembled and includes several pallets of new parts and body panels. (my buddy actually owns it and its a weird situation and doesn't currently have a title because they did a custom full tilt sema build and needed the vin tag for that truck on a custom chassis. he is working on a new titled frame.

I think there is $$$$ to be made in the Ford short bed truck game.....This could be a deal at the right price

Oh boy, did you say a mouthful right there!!!

People don't realize that American muscle cars won't handle half as good, or be fun to drive, as most any new car is today! lol Technology wasn't exactly a priority in the 60's, or safety either. They are whole different animals to drive. :p

I had a customer that (said) he was offered 100k for a 64 mustang he built, from some guy from Australia, and turned it down. I was thinking: wtf dude, you coulda went and bought a new Vette for that kina money, are you nuts??? But he had spent eight years building this Mustang. He has just finished it, and wanted to drive it awhile. It's 108 here in the valley today, I bet he aint driving that no A/C mustang today!!! :D

If I was gonna buy something older, I'd buy something that I could replace (cause the parts are available) the whole front clip on it, and put some modern day suspension on it. This would be job one in searching for a car to restore.

I have an early 70's Buick on deck that is going to get a complete TCI suspension front and rear, and 600hp to push it around. JMS built engine. Remac built trans. FAST EFI to feed it fuel. Monster disc brakes all around. It's gonna be one kick azz car when it's done. Money is no object for this guy though. This will be the second car I've built for him. He knows the suspension is the heart of every performance car.

TCI just one of the companies out there that makes modern day suspension for the older cars. CT is on point with his statements. :thumbsup

https://totalcostinvolved.com/

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Oh boy, did you say a mouthful right there!!!

People don't realize that American muscle cars won't handle half as good, or be fun to drive, as most any new car is today! lol Technology wasn't exactly a priority in the 60's, or safety either. They are whole different animals to drive. :p

I had a customer that (said) he was offered 100k for a 64 mustang he built, from some guy from Australia, and turned it down. I was thinking: wtf dude, you coulda went and bought a new Vette for that kina money, are you nuts??? But he had spent eight years building this Mustang. He has just finished it, and wanted to drive it awhile. It's 108 here in the valley today, I bet he aint driving that no A/C mustang today!!! :D

If I was gonna buy something older, I'd buy something that I could replace (cause the parts are available) the whole front clip on it, and put some modern day suspension on it. This would be job one in searching for a car to restore.

I have an early 70's Buick on deck that is going to get a complete TCI suspension front and rear, and 600hp to push it around. JMS built engine. Remac built trans. FAST EFI to feed it fuel. Monster disc brakes all around. It's gonna be one kick azz car when it's done. Money is no object for this guy though. This will be the second car I've built for him. He knows the suspension is the heart of every performance car.

TCI just one of the companies out there that makes modern day suspension for the older cars. CT is on point with his statements. :thumbsup

https://totalcostinvolved.com/

If I had a huge garage and stupid $$$ I would love to have a full ilt custom classic. Like you said a 15K 5 year old infinity G37 with a manual is going to destroy most hotrodded classic's while sitting in that comfortable AC.

I just know what I like and that's a good handling car with alot of HP AC and a stereo. My G8 is now my hotrod and I just recently picked up a super clean 2 owner 2000 Camaro SS convertible with a 6 speed and 59K miles on the odo. The Camaro is a blast to drive and still gets with it and has unlimited potential with an ls based motor.

stoker22405

Reaction score

Yikes....!

stoker22405

Reaction score
If I had a huge garage and stupid $$$ I would love to have a full ilt custom classic. Like you said a 15K 5 year old infinity G37 with a manual is going to destroy most hotrodded classic's while sitting in that comfortable AC.

I just know what I like and that's a good handling car with alot of HP AC and a stereo. My G8 is now my hotrod and I just recently picked up a super clean 2 owner 2000 Camaro SS convertible with a 6 speed and 59K miles on the odo. The Camaro is a blast to drive and still gets with it and has unlimited potential with an ls based motor.

Double Yikes...

P.S.Those Infinity's are cute cars...