WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the LOWER RIVER JUNKIES...

jesco

Reaction score
How is the cell coverage down around Fishers and Hidden Shores. I'm planning an Offroad trip from Ehrenberg (AZ side of Blythe) to Yuma and will be using LeadNav (iPhone app) for our GPS. I can download certain areas if needed in the areas with bad cell coverage, but it takes up some memory and depending how big a file you save determines how far you can zoom in. I think I have a pretty good route plotted, stays close to the river most of the way. Plan is to leave Friday AM on Veterans Day from Ehrenberg, head to Fishers for fuel, then off to Hilton in Yuma for the night. Do the reverse route on Saturday AM, might pick an alt route depending on how our time works out going there. It's about 110 miles each way, should have around 12 rzrs making the trip. We will have a Jeep with a small trailer ready back at our park for extract if needed.... hopefully it won't be but with 12 cars..... Somebody's bound to break something.

Any additional info on the area would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
How is the cell coverage down around Fishers and Hidden Shores. I'm planning an Offroad trip from Ehrenberg (AZ side of Blythe) to Yuma and will be using LeadNav (iPhone app) for our GPS. I can download certain areas if needed in the areas with bad cell coverage, but it takes up some memory and depending how big a file you save determines how far you can zoom in. I think I have a pretty good route plotted, stays close to the river most of the way. Plan is to leave Friday AM on Veterans Day from Ehrenberg, head to Fishers for fuel, then off to Hilton in Yuma for the night. Do the reverse route on Saturday AM, might pick an alt route depending on how our time works out going there. It's about 110 miles each way, should have around 12 rzrs making the trip. We will have a Jeep with a small trailer ready back at our park for extract if needed.... hopefully it won't be but with 12 cars..... Somebody's bound to break something.

Are you running down the AZ side or the CA side? We've run from Yuma up to Walters on the AZ side. If you want me to take a look at your route, I know that side pretty well. We're planning on doing a similar ride (But different lol). Start at Hidden Shores, go up and cross over at blythe, then come down the CA side and back to Hidden Shores.:thumbsup

Cell service will be spotty with both verizon and ATT, but Verizon is generally better it seems (I have ATT)

jesco

Reaction score
Are you running down the AZ side or the CA side? We've run from Yuma up to Walters on the AZ side. If you want me to take a look at your route, I know that side pretty well. We're planning on doing a similar ride (But different lol). Start at Hidden Shores, go up and cross over at blythe, then come down the CA side and back to Hidden Shores.:thumbsup

Cell service will be spotty with both verizon and ATT, but Verizon is generally better it seems (I have ATT)

We will be on the AZ side the whole way, trying to avoid crossing over in to CA so the adults don't have to worry about helmets. We were originally thinking we may have to meet up with a chase truck south of Cibola a little ways for fuel but Fishers is reachable. We are just gonna cut through Cibola now and take more of a direct route there. I can send you the route in a .GPX file to you if you PM me your email address, that would be AWESOME!!! I appreciate it.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We will be on the AZ side the whole way, trying to avoid crossing over in to CA so the adults don't have to worry about helmets. We were originally thinking we may have to meet up with a chase truck south of Cibola a little ways for fuel but Fishers is reachable. We are just gonna cut through Cibola now and take more of a direct route there. I can send you the route in a .GPX file to you if you PM me your email address, that would be AWESOME!!! I appreciate it.

We've gone from hidden shores to the AZ side of the river by walters and back. That's a full tank in a 900 and running on fumes at the end. You guys should be fine.

What kind of ride are you looking for? Mostly just chill trails? Want to stop by any mines?

jesco

Reaction score
We've gone from hidden shores to the AZ side of the river by walters and back. That's a full tank in a 900 and running on fumes at the end. You guys should be fine.

What kind of ride are you looking for? Mostly just chill trails? Want to stop by any mines?

Not too gnarly, wives and kids are going also, but nothing too boring. Mines would be AWESOME!!! Kids would love that. I sent you the GPX file, appreciate any input.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Not too gnarly, wives and kids are going also, but nothing too boring. Mines would be AWESOME!!! Kids would love that. I sent you the GPX file, appreciate any input.

Got it, most of it looks good, just a couple areas need tweaking.

One thing to be aware of is that one of the areas you are driving through is a preserve and no OHVs allowed. We've had people turned around before if their rzr is plated as an OHV. You need to have the 9010 plate or a motorcycle plate.:thumbsdown

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score

Are you using google earth to map this?

Couple issues down to the south. You are coming right through the back area of the adair park shooting range. I've got another trail I can send you as a google earth file or can convert to gpx.

Also, the bridge to nowhere can't be crossed, you have to go along adair park rd another 1.5 miles or so to get to the crossing. You should also try and stop at 'From the Farm' it's a taco stand that is really close to where you are dropping out of the mountains.

DLC

Reaction score
Wow that sounds like a great time! Have fun and post some pics! Might be worth bringing a few gallons of fuel just in case, 4 seat / 2 seaters ( weight ) might vary in the mileage, and with up to 12 cars going....

not sure what the rzr gets mileage wise per tank

Jealous - I'm stuck in the rhino days!

jesco

Reaction score
Are you using google earth to map this?

Couple issues down to the south. You are coming right through the back area of the adair park shooting range. I've got another trail I can send you as a google earth file or can convert to gpx.

Also, the bridge to nowhere can't be crossed, you have to go along adair park rd another 1.5 miles or so to get to the crossing. You should also try and stop at 'From the Farm' it's a taco stand that is really close to where you are dropping out of the mountains.

Hahahah, yeah dropping into a range might be a BAD IDEA!!! I'm pretty sure all the rzrs on this trip are street legal plated, but might be a good idea to re-route around that area to be safe. I figured the "Bridge to Nowhere" wasn't crossable, I was going to route another path around it (was thinking water may be very low that time of year and possibly cross the river where it goes over). Taco stand sound AWESOME!!!! You can send it either way, GPX Downloads straight into the app, or I can covert a Google file. Whatever is easier for you.

I really appreciate the help and info.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Hahahah, yeah dropping into a range might be a BAD IDEA!!! I'm pretty sure all the rzrs on this trip are street legal plated, but might be a good idea to re-route around that area to be safe. I figured the "Bridge to Nowhere" wasn't crossable, I was going to route another path around it (was thinking water may be very low that time of year and possibly cross the river where it goes over). Taco stand sound AWESOME!!!! You can send it either way, GPX Downloads straight into the app, or I can covert a Google file. Whatever is easier for you.

I really appreciate the help and info.

Cool. I'll send some over tomorrow. I'm headed to bed.

Unfortunately there is no way around that refuge section. You are locked into that path by the river and the Proving Grounds. Not a huge deal and it's not always enforced but I figured I'd let you know lol.

jesco

Reaction score
Wow that sounds like a great time! Have fun and post some pics! Might be worth bringing a few gallons of fuel just in case, 4 seat / 2 seaters ( weight ) might vary in the mileage, and with up to 12 cars going....

not sure what the rzr gets mileage wise per tank

Jealous - I'm stuck in the rhino days!

Most the cars are 1000 4 seaters, (1) 2 seat, (2) 2 seat 900s and (1) 2 seat 800, all non turbos. A few of us have 3gl RotoPax and will def have them full just in case. Should be a fun trip, great group of people. I'll start a new thread after and post the entire trip.

jesco

Reaction score
Cool. I'll send some over tomorrow. I'm headed to bed.

Unfortunately there is no way around that refuge section. You are locked into that path by the river and the Proving Grounds. Not a huge deal and it's not always enforced but I figured I'd let you know lol.

Cool, thanks again for the input. Look forward to getting your info. If your out there that weekend we can meet up on the trail for a beer or shot of whiskey, I'll buy...hahaha

KAP

Reaction score

Cell service is spotty at best but if your on a high spot you will get cell service.

If your coming down from the I-10 just how are you going to cross the YPG without a military pass and range clearance?

I would really like to know as I have never found a route that doesn't involve crossing into the YPG.

KAP

jesco

Reaction score
Cell service is spotty at best but if your on a high spot you will get cell service.

If your coming down from the I-10 just how are you going to cross the YPG without a military pass and range clearance?

I would really like to know as I have never found a route that doesn't involve crossing into the YPG.

KAP

From the 10 we are following the river into Cibola, just south of Cibola we will be cutting into the mountains a little and and heading to Fishers. From Fishers we stay close to the river for a while and go past Hidden Shores and into Yuma through some farm land. From our park in Ehrenburg we go into YPG quite often. There are (2) towns they built out there for training, we call them Falluja and Baghdad. During the winter both places are ghost towns, they train there in the summer when its hot apparently. Only two times we have had security show up, both times they were really cool. Just told us we are on an active base, you packed it in, pack it out, do not take any pics, do not drink alcohol (we kind of ignored that one), do not fire any weapons, and be safe. Im trying to stay away from the YPG if at all possible though because farther south seems more like a legit base then the YPG up closer to us. I think we have a pretty good route. Mostly on Red Clouds Mine Rd and a few other mine roads. Hopefully Paradise will chime in if he sees any other areas where Im gonna get myself in trouble (i.e. dropping into a shouting range...hahahaha). I will try and take a screen shot of the route on my iPad tonight and upload it in here. Not sure if you'll see anything from that but maybe something will jump out as a "NO GO" area. Im open to all suggestions and intel possible.

jesco

Reaction score

KAP

Just looked it up on google maps. When we pass HS we are gonna hug the canal that goes by the YPG base and runs parallel with Laguna Dam Rd. That looks like the start of the base (I could be wrong on this). If thats a public road, worse case we jump on that until we get away from the base and dive back into the mountains where possible.... PLEASE correct me if i am wrong on this. Our group is new to this far south, we know our part of the desert really good, this is all uncharted areas for us south of Cibola.

HotRod82

Reaction score

KAP

We run through there all the time on our bikes. Going north, run redcloud mine road through the refuge and the road then runs for a few miles through YPG. Well signed, 100% legal as long as you don't venture off the road.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Just looked it up on google maps. When we pass HS we are gonna hug the canal that goes by the YPG base and runs parallel with Laguna Dam Rd. That looks like the start of the base (I could be wrong on this). If thats a public road, worse case we jump on that until we get away from the base and dive back into the mountains where possible.... PLEASE correct me if i am wrong on this. Our group is new to this far south, we know our part of the desert really good, this is all uncharted areas for us south of Cibola.

You're fine down there.

The yellow line is the route you were talking about taking to Adair park/bridge to nowhere. I would take the green trail until it runs into the red trail and then run that over to Adair park rd. I'll send over the files later with some points of interest but this will give you a little bit of an idea.

IMG_1572.jpg

Wadernation

Reaction score

Im curious on your return trip on the CA side. are you on the highway or on the dirt? not many trails from palo verde to ogilby unless you are on the roads parallel to the 78/ogilby rd. Ive done walters to glamis and back but never down to the picacho area.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Im curious on your return trip on the CA side. are you on the highway or on the dirt? not many trails from palo verde to ogilby unless you are on the roads parallel to the 78/ogilby rd. Ive done walters to glamis and back but never down to the picacho area.

It's almost all dirt. Just a couple miles on the 78 by Walters. We will go down Walters camp rd and start from there. Here is the path. We have come from the south all the way up to where the yellow and orange meet. Only area that is a question is from black mountain to the wash by Walters camp. (Red and green trails)
IMG_1573.jpg

Wadernation

Reaction score
It's almost all dirt. Just a couple miles on the 78 by Walters. We will go down Walters camp rd and start from there. Here is the path. We have come from the south all the way up to where the yellow and orange meet. Only area that is a question is from black mountain to the wash by Walters camp. (Red and green trails)
View attachment 513089

very cool. Yes Vinegar (sp) wash runs west from walters and thats a major traveling route. Once you head south near Drapers cabin (south of walters) it turns into BLM land and they actually blocked off some of the trail (some protected areas). Thats how we went to glamis...took that main wash on your map then hopped out and B-lined it west to ogilby. We were on bikes so it was easier.

If you guys plan another trip up that way let me know.

EDIT: also, if you take black mountain to the 78..jump over and thats midway wells. that road and washes also travel north along the 78 to Milipitas Wash road (which is across the street from walters dirt road turn off). There is a trail on milipitas that winds north through the mountains and ends at the palo verde dump. (in case you need a new path)

jesco

Reaction score
You're fine down there.

The yellow line is the route you were talking about taking to Adair park/bridge to nowhere. I would take the green trail until it runs into the red trail and then run that over to Adair park rd. I'll send over the files later with some points of interest but this will give you a little bit of an idea.

View attachment 513074

AWESOME!!!!! I really appreciate the help/info. I look forward to getting your map, THANK YOU!!!

lf2

Reaction score
very cool. Yes Vinegar (sp) wash runs west from walters and thats a major traveling route. Once you head south near Drapers cabin (south of walters) it turns into BLM land and they actually blocked off some of the trail (some protected areas). Thats how we went to glamis...took that main wash on your map then hopped out and B-lined it west to ogilby. We were on bikes so it was easier.

If you guys plan another trip up that way let me know.

EDIT: also, if you take black mountain to the 78..jump over and thats midway wells. that road and washes also travel north along the 78 to Milipitas Wash road (which is across the street from walters dirt road turn off). There is a trail on milipitas that winds north through the mountains and ends at the palo verde dump. (in case you need a new path)

I gone from Rio Del Sol down to Picacho a few times there is some cool stuff down that way. A few years back we went down to the upper Picacho state beach and tent camped overnight the kids enjoyed that.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
wish we could go back there some day... got kicked out for not know ing the rules.... oh well... cool place....scouters hospitality was top shelf:thumbsup

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I have taken jeep trail's from Martinez Lake north through red cloud mine and yuma wash that take you all the way to Cibola Lake. Then it was all roads from there but I never saw any signs or restrictions.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Hey dude, did you end up finding the video? Any other questions?

jesco

Reaction score
Hey dude, did you end up finding the video? Any other questions?

I did, it helped a ton!! So much good info, really appreciate it. My buddy was able to convert your maps also so I'll be putting that in 2 of the handheld Garmins and in the LeadNav app. I will let you know when we will be passing by Fishers and Hidden Shores, if your around would love to meet up on the trail for a handshake and a cold one... Or two...or three.... Already re-routed to the Taco Stand, that place looks cool. Thanks again for all the help. I will post a thread with lots of pics after we do the run, all set for Veterans weekend ( Nov 11 and 12).

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did, it helped a ton!! So much good info, really appreciate it. My buddy was able to convert your maps also so I'll be putting that in 2 of the handheld Garmins and in the LeadNav app. I will let you know when we will be passing by Fishers and Hidden Shores, if your around would love to meet up on the trail for a handshake and a cold one... Or two...or three.... Already re-routed to the Taco Stand, that place looks cool. Thanks again for all the help. I will post a thread with lots of pics after we do the run, all set for Veterans weekend ( Nov 11 and 12).
We'll likely be at Fisher's that weekend. A round of drinks on me if you guys stop off for a break!

jesco

Reaction score
We'll likely be at Fisher's that weekend. A round of drinks on me if you guys stop off for a break!

We are gonna fuel up there, I'll try and figure out what time and update this thread. :thumbsup:thumbsup

jesco

Reaction score
I started a new Thread in the "offroad section" for this, we leave FRIDAY!!!!! I will update that thread so its in the proper section...