WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question on smog in Arizona

Rivrat

Reaction score
Have a place in parker and want to register my truck there so i can actually do some mods and let it breathe. its a newer duramax. What are the smog laws of az? would i be able to smog it with taking off some smog equipment?

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Have a place in parker and want to register my truck there so i can actually do some mods and let it breathe. its a newer duramax. What are the smog laws of az? would i be able to smog it with taking off some smog equipment?

Only smog testing is in Phoenix and Tucson areas (Maricopa and Pima Counties). Parker would not require smog testing.

Rivrat

Reaction score
So that sounds like a green light.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Problem is if you bring it back into California registered to you in Arizona and you have a California Driver license.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Here it's run what you got no problem.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I'll let Boat Cop chime in here but I'm guessing that the law in AZ is that you WILL have all factory smog equipment in place regardless of where you live in the state.....the law however only requires you to test and insure that you comply in the 2 major metro areas (Phoenix and Tucson)..........interestingly enough if you lived in Earp, CA you would not be subject to smog inspections either (except on transfer) but you would not be in compliance there either if you made changes to the factory emissions system as well:rolleyes

Bottom line is that you are technically breaking the law wherever you are in AZ, CA or the entire USA if you change the federally mandated emissions system on any vehicle that has a closed system...............so what we are really talking about is compliance testing and NOT whether you are required to maintain the factory system. It's like driving over the speed limit on the freeway........almost everybody does it and according to the letter of the law you are breaking the law but is is highly unusual to get a ticket for 1 or 2 miles over the speed limit:D

So bottom line is it is NOT legal to take it off in Parker any more than Phoenix..............it's just a matter of testing to prove it!!

Robyn

68 schiada
Reaction score
and then your resale is now limited to that area:grumble:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
If you have both a Cali and AZ address, is it still an issue?

I have not ever had an issue.

Truck is registered in AZ, I have to keep a CA dl for work. I dont recall ever having the smog done. The catch to having it registered in AZ though, you must insure it there too (this becomes problematic to some who have poor credit, AZ insurance is based on credit).

Hallett270act

Reaction score

Truck is registered in AZ, I have to keep a CA dl for work. I dont recall ever having the smog done. The catch to having it registered in AZ though, you must insure it there too (this becomes problematic to some who have poor credit, AZ insurance is based on credit).

Thanks....I plan to register my truck in AZ. I suspect the insurance rates are much lower as well as the hidden tax, uh -ur - I mean registration....hmmm,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Isn't AZ auto insurance generally higher than CA?

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Auto insurance is way higher in the metro areas of AZ because of the high theft from the focken mexicans taking our stolen cars and trucks back to mexico to run guns, drugs, and illegals. Auto insurance in La Paz and Mohave county is about the same as the IE. When I moved here from the 909 my auto went up and home owners went down. Good credit too.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
If you have both a Cali and AZ address, is it still an issue?
Yes. California wants it's tax money. Don't drive like a dodo or give coppers some other reason to pull you over and you should be fine.

Just because you haven't been popped doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Maybe being a hosedragger helps. I don't know.

In my humble opinion you have to watch out for the CHP for this. Maybe traffic cops as well. Cops who just want to get the real bad guys don't want to write stupid tickets, they want to catch bad guys and just use stupid little reasonable suspicion deals to pull over and investigate. Don't act like a jerkwad and they let you go. Get stupid with them and then you get the fines. They probably don't even know about this stuff anyway. This is the kind of stuff that the Chippies sit in classes for. Also, someone gets mad at you and reports you because they see an Az plate always in your driveway etc.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
OK. Since y'all asked.

Metro Maricopa and Pima Counties (Phoenix & Tucson area) and the Prescott area require smog testing and compliance.

Everywhere else in the state doesn't even check, inspect or require any sort of testing. Any inspection done is for VIN#, lights, horn etc. No emission inspection required.

As was said, California requires that if you are a resident of CA you MUST register any vehicle owned by you in CA, IF it is ever operated on CA roads. If you claim CA as your residence for income taxes, employment, voter registration, any license (drivers, business, fishing, hunting, etc), kids in school or in college as resident, you are a CA resident.

The thing people don't seem to understand is that just because you own property or a vacation home in another state, that doesn't make you a resident of that state. You can only have one primary residence. And California wants their fees and taxes from their residents.

You may get away with having your vehicle registered in AZ for a while, but if you are caught you will pay up, many times what you'll save. They can impound your vehicle and require back taxes, back registration fees, fines, penalties, interest, not to mention towing and storage, etc. It's a misdemeanor offense and jail time is possible, but unlikely.

With the financial situation California is in, CHP and local PDs are strongly encouraged to enforce this provision. CHP even has a hotline for people to report out of state plates in their neighborhoods.

When my wife was going to to her mom's in Hemet 2-3 times a month, she was stopped several times, as HPD saw her car parked at her mom's house all the time with AZ plates. So they ARE looking and taking action when they suspect someone is playing scofflaw with CA registration requirements.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I Have a place in parker and want to register my truck there so i can actually do some mods and let it breathe.

Didn't you mean to say that Mommy and Daddy have a place in Parker? :p