WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question On Winterizing

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
We live in a place where we have hard freezing. Every year I pull the hose out of the raw water pump and drain. I drain the block by on one side pulling the line going to the water pressure gauge and on the other just a brass plug. Then I get what I can out of the headers by pulling the hose there. I leave everything unhooked till spring. My question is I’d like to hook everything back up while I’m there, maybe some winter boating, maybe just so it’s hooked and ready to go. Would there be a problem with freezing and cracking the block if I drain the water and hook everything back up. Thanks in advance.

rrrr

Reaction score
Prepare a six foot piece of garden hose with a male connector on one end, and fill a five gallon bucket with a gallon of water and a gallon of propylene glycol RV antifreeze. Run the boat on a muff with a standard hose hooked up and allow the engine to warm up.

Stop the engine. Disconnect the water hose from the muff, connect the short piece, put the end in the bucket, and restart the engine. Allow it to run until the water and antifreeze mixture is almost gone, then stop the engine.

Your engine and outdrive are now protected from freezing to about -30° F, and you didn't have to take anything apart. When spring comes, just launch and go. The propylene glycol antifreeze is water soluble and won't hurt the environment.

If you go winter boating, just repeat the procedure.

BTW, the propylene glycol mix will also provide anti corrosion properties, preventing the internal rust that occurs in a drained but still internally wet engine.

Last edited:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I lik
Prepare a six foot piece of garden hose with a male connector on one end, and fill a five gallon bucket with a gallon of water and a gallon of propylene glycol RV antifreeze. Run the boat on a muff with a standard hose hooked up and allow the engine to warm up.

Stop the engine. Disconnect the water hose from the muff, connect the short piece, put the end in the bucket, and restart the engine. Allow it to run until the water and antifreeze mixture is almost gone, then stop the engine.

Your engine and outdrive are now protected from freezing to about -30° F, and you didn't have to take anything apart. When spring comes, just launch and go. The propylene glycol antifreeze is water soluble and won't hurt the environment.

If you go winter boating, just repeat the procedure.

BTW, the propylene glycol mix will also provide anti corrosion properties, preventing the internal rust that occurs in a drained but still internally wet engine.
I like this idea. Two gallons is enough to fill the block and headers?

rrrr

Reaction score
No more like 3.5 - 4 gallons

The two gallons isn't meant to replace 100% of the water in the block and headers, when mixed with what's already in the engine it provides protection to temperatures below -10° F. I was wrong about the earlier temp I posted. A 50-50 mix is required for -30°.

Last edited:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
So if I take a five gallon bucket and mix two gallons of antifreeze and two gallons of water for 50/50 mix, the raw water pump will suck it out of the bucket and I should be good. Is four gallons enough? I don’t need any problems, I have enough of those already. Just want to make sure it’s handled. Thanks

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I lik

I like this idea. Two gallons is enough to fill the block and headers?
I just did my inboard ski boat yesterday. It took a little over 3 gallons until it started coming out the exhaust. I used the RV stuff and it says not to add any water, so I just use it straight. I did the same thing, put in 5 gallon bucket and put the hose into the bucket and start it until I hear it coming out the mufflers.

buck35

Reaction score
I run the pink stuff undiluted, it's cheap and like you , no issues needed. The engine must be warmed up with thermostat open beforehand!

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. Keep the info coming👍

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
LOL Ok I’m not done overthinking this yet. I have a through hull water pick up so it’s the flush deal that looks like a plunger and sea strainer. Will the raw water pump pull through all this. I’m prob going to need five gallons with oil cooler and big lines. C-mon help me overthink this LOL

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
LOL Ok I’m not done overthinking this yet. I have a through hull water pick up so it’s the flush deal that looks like a plunger and sea strainer. Will the raw water pump pull through all this. I’m prob going to need five gallons with oil cooler and big lines. C-mon help me overthink this LOL
Yes, mine did. No problem. Just make sure the plunger is tight against the hull with no gaps so it doesn't suck air and wipe out an impeller. Not that I would have done that.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
The propylene glycol, that’s the stuff you put in rv water systems right? It’s ok for engines with raw water cooling? Sorry I’m not done overthinking it yet. LOL How about a brand name. Thanks.

renodaytona

Reaction score
The propylene glycol, that’s the stuff you put in rv water systems right? It’s ok for engines with raw water cooling? Sorry I’m not done overthinking it yet. LOL How about a brand name. Thanks.

Yes, you aren't using it for "cooling" only freeze protection. This stuff actually turns into slush when frozen, there is a video on you tube. It doesn't freeze solid, that's what causes popped freeze plugs and cracked blocks.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Yes, you aren't using it for "cooling" only freeze protection. This stuff actually turns into slush when frozen, there is a video on you tube. It doesn't freeze solid, that's what causes popped freeze plugs and cracked blocks.
👍

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I just had my sprinklers winterized today, $45.

King P.V.

Reaction score
RV ( the pink stuff) antifreeze is NOT compatable with water. Its good down to -50 degrees , it will get slushy around -20 but wont freeze hard till -50. If you choose to go 50/50, but why would you as its less than $3.00 per gallon) then you are kinda..... dumb and like living life on the edge . Mercruiser makes a "blue" propylene thats good to -100 degrees at full strength and -50 when mixed with water. But its 2xs the cost too. I do this for a living. And take no chances. Drain each side of the block, both manifolds, back fill block, manifolds and the incoming water, showers and heater. With the pink stuff. I charge one hour labor
( for 1/2 hr of work) and $15 for stabil, fogging oil and antifreeze. Showers and heater are a tad more labor.
I would highly recommend to NOT mix pink rv antifreeze with water!!!