WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Questions about 18' advantage/rogers with JE berkley

Daytona22

Reaction score
I have a 1986 18' advantage with Berkley JE jet. The boat tends to be real loose and spin out on occasion. Is this normal for this boat, and are there any mods to correct this?

ibelio

Reaction score
I have a 1986 18' advantage with Berkley JE jet. The boat tends to be real loose and spin out on occasion. Is this normal for this boat, and are there any mods to correct this?
my old Rodgers put fin aprox at front of engine pulley damper through hull big difference

Daytona22

Reaction score
Thanks, I may look into that. I made a new ride plate and welded on fins, seemed to help for the short time I ran it. I managed to hydro lock my motor in the first 15 minutes.:mad: I am probably out the rest of the season.

guest hs

Reaction score
Skeg just before the engine will help dramatically

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Circle raced Rogers and Advantages for many years. I believe Rogers put a single fin 39 " from the back of the boat. Some guys ran double fins like a flat bottom, personally I wasn't fond of them. Old Rigger on here would know for sure he built and rigged most of the Rogers and Advantages.
Greg Shoemaker at G.S. Marine or Harold Bruce at R & D Marine would be good sources for set up on your Advantage.

old rigger

Reaction score
Circle raced Rogers and Advantages for many years. I believe Rogers put a single fin 39 " from the back of the boat. Some guys ran double fins like a flat bottom, personally I wasn't fond of them. Old Rigger on here would know for sure he built and rigged most of the Rogers and Advantages.
Greg Shoemaker at G.S. Marine or Harold Bruce at R & D Marine would be good sources for set up on your Advantage.

I'll have to get out my notes but I believe the trailing edge of the fin should be no closer than 43 inches (Damn, I can't remember for sure, it might be 53") to the edge of the transom and we never installed fins off the shelf without cutting them down to the right size. Any deeper or any closer to the intake, you'll starve the pump in a tight turn, any further forward the hull will hunt.

I wasn't a fan of that hull with that E pump installed, Roger never did this. It was only done at Advantage to try and gain a few inches of interior space...3 inches if I remember right with the SBC. Makes me depressed to think about. lol

Last edited:

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I'll have to get out my notes but I believe the trailing edge of the fin should be no closer than 43 inches (Damn, I can't remember for sure, it might be 53") to the edge of the transom and we never installed fins off the shelf without cutting them down to the right size. Any deeper or any closer to the intake, you'll starve the pump in a tight turn, any further forward the hull will hunt.

I wasn't a fan of that hull with that E pump installed, Roger never did this. It was only done at Advantage to try and gain a few inches of interior space...3 inches if I remember right with the SBC. Makes me depressed to think about. lol

I didn't always agree with Harry. I don't think the E pump was ever a good idea as far as service goes. And if 3" of interior was a big deal he should have bought the 19' Rogers mold.

old rigger

Reaction score
I didn't always agree with Harry. I don't think the E pump was ever a good idea as far as service goes. And if 3" of interior was a big deal he should have bought the 19' Rogers mold.

hahaha, that mold wasn’t for sale at the time and I still can’t believe Roger sold the 18 bubble mold, keeping the flat deck. He swore that the flat deck bottom turned better than the other, for racing, not being a racer I don’t know if it was true.
I actually was still at Rogers when the molds left, I loaded them on Harry’s flatbed trailer, then a year or so later I was working there.
Rogers molds were so nice and he babied the shit outta them, only time they saw the sun was when we’d wash one out then it was back under the roof. Lotta fun working for him, I was lucky to be able to do it, didn’t make a hell of a lot but learned a ton.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
hahaha, that mold wasn’t for sale at the time and I still can’t believe Roger sold the 18 bubble mold, keeping the flat deck. He swore that the flat deck bottom turned better than the other, for racing, not being a racer I don’t know if it was true.
I actually was still at Rogers when the molds left, I loaded them on Harry’s flatbed trailer, then a year or so later I was working there.
Rogers molds were so nice and he babied the shit outta them, only time they saw the sun was when we’d wash one out then it was back under the roof. Lotta fun working for him, I was lucky to be able to do it, didn’t make a hell of a lot but learned a ton.

I don't buy it, But Harold Bruce swears the flat deck is better for circles. CG might be different with the shorter deck ? but I don't think anyone could really tell the difference.

ELCHINGONROGERS

Reaction score
here is my 18 ft rogers when i bought it it had a skag in it because it spun out on the old owner and when i bought it it spun out on me once after that has not spun out since and i even took the skag out because i was in shallow water hit a rock and loosened the skag so leaked water in.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 289

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

The trailing edge of my turn fin is 44 inches in front of the transom. About 20 inches in front of the leading edge of the pump. It is a 19' Miller Flat Deck.

Turn fin is ~12" long.

Dan'l

Daytona22

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I love the look of the boat, I dreaded the idea of going in a different direction. I agree with old rigger, not a big fan of the E pump set up. The engine is so close to the transom, fitting transom headers is going to be a nightmare. Now that Ive blown the motor Im married to it. I will probably take it to Greg for a skeg install. The ride plate fins help a ton. That may change when I add more power.

Disco

Reaction score
here is my 18 ft rogers when i bought it it had a skag in it because it spun out on the old owner and when i bought it it spun out on me once after that has not spun out since and i even took the skag out because i was in shallow water hit a rock and loosened the skag so leaked water in.
That looks like Todd's old boat. If it is, it's a super nice boat.