WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Questions about a 21 Howard V drive

Your ad here

Reaction score
Looking for details on the 1974 Howard 21 day cruiser. How the layups were on them and the stringer setup. 2 or 4 and full length? I looked at a 1974 Howard 21 v drive today. It had 2 stringers but didn't check if they went past the V drive. The deck has cracks where the front corners of the cowl meets the deck. The fiberglass belly tanks on the port and starboard sides that have had the tops cut off and aluminum tanks installed. The boat is used and could use some cosmetic work. It has a 396 and velvet drive currently. Over time I would like to install a 454+ BBC in it but keep the velvet drive. Is it still a good platform to fix up or should I look for another model year and/or make?

Last edited:

the lynch mob

Reaction score
I have a 1978 and it had 2 stringers but fiberglass gas tank had leaked. so replaced one stringer and added 2 more. That 1974 should be a heavy layup. The stress cracks where you stated are common, I have them too. Mines just a solid 60 mph boat set the factory shaft angle and a slightly warmed over 468 Chevy.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
I had a 1974 and it had 2 stringers that went forward well under the deck. It was a much heavier layup than the 1983 that I currently have. I found them to be very good boats and have had the 1983 since it was new.
HPIM0734.JPG

sintax

Reaction score
I have a 1978 and it had 2 stringers but fiberglass gas tank had leaked. so replaced one stringer and added 2 more. That 1974 should be a heavy layup. The stress cracks where you stated are common, I have them too. Mines just a solid 60 mph boat set the factory shaft angle and a slightly warmed over 468 Chevy.

yup, same situation with the 76 that I had. 2 full stringers, built like a tank. The stress cracks are common, you can try to reset the bulkheads under the bow and try grinding out the cracks and filling them again if you wanted. I recall someone mentioning that it comes from a combo of spraying the gel too thick w/ poorly implemented bulkhead designs? End of the day its a 45-50 yr old boat, you're gonna get some cracks.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
yup, same situation with the 76 that I had. 2 full stringers, built like a tank. The stress cracks are common, you can try to reset the bulkheads under the bow and try grinding out the cracks and filling them again if you wanted. I recall someone mentioning that it comes from a combo of spraying the gel too thick w/ poorly implemented bulkhead designs? End of the day its a 45-50 yr old boat, you're gonna get some cracks.

Stress cracks are common on Schiadas in that era also. They were built with polyester resin and mat glass instead of vinyl-ester resin and bi-directional glass. They just didn’t have the materials available today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
My 79 howard was a 2 stringer and also had the famous bulkhead cracks as well. My tanks went bad and ate into the bottom somewhat. Ended up cutting them out and laying balsa in the floor. I did all the demo and some of the prep and a friend helped with the rest. A lot of time and $$$.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I've been researching these hulls, Howard and Spectra, and must have confused myself on which one has 2 and 4 stringers. Howard is 2 all years? Spectra is 4 in early 70's and late 70's and on? Spectra had 2 in the mid 70's? I understand the boat is 46 years old but it sounds like as long as nothing major is damaged its still a good hull to fix up the small details, like holes from windshield and bow rail, and run.

sintax

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I've been researching these hulls, Howard and Spectra, and must have confused myself on which one has 2 and 4 stringers. Howard is 2 all years? Spectra is 4 in early 70's and late 70's and on? Spectra had 2 in the mid 70's? I understand the boat is 46 years old but it sounds like as long as nothing major is damaged its still a good hull to fix up the small details, like holes from windshield and bow rail, and run.

thats a true story, the early spectras had 4 full stringers on the v-drive boats, i dont know when or if they stopped that. All the v-drive howards i've seen have been 2 full stringers. I'm not convinced that the 4 stringers gets you anything but more weight though. Maybe for a coast guard boat, as some were, it might pay off.

As far as the condition goes man, its all a total crap shoot until you get under those floors and see what you're dealing with. Its no different than a 50 year old house or car. There can be a total mess living under fresh drywall and paint! Theres guys who take immaculate care of their stuff, and theres guys who dont. You have to just take inventory of what you have, and be an educated consumer.

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
All years of the Spectra v-drives have four stringers, the jets are the hulls that Spectra went to the motor
Box (75-78), (79-81) back to the four stringers.

Brent