WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Questions about ceramic coating ?

rush1

Reaction score
For you guys that have your boat ceramic coated what do you use to wipe down your boat after you pull it out of the water ? And does it effect the ceramic coating ? Does the ceramic coating really help eliminate water spots ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Short answer is yes the ceramic coating works.. I don’t wash the cars or boats but Griner provides a wipe down spray that actually maintains it though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My truck actually has a “glow” to it since he coated it.

3C9C1CE1-A18F-4D38-B34D-60DA7A15B569.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
So need this done on my truck.
What is the maintenance program? Annual checkup, etc?
DS gives you a care guide, and the wipe down spray is included, they will refill your bottles when you are out. Handwash no machine washing is the core to it. BMW has been done for 2 years now and essentially looks like the day they did it. Same with the other stuff they've done for us.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I love the ceramic coat makes cleaning a breeze. I noticed the difference right away. I used to have boat polished and waxed only. Towards the end of the season I would notice the wax wear off and needed more elbow grease when cleaning up. Now with ceramic the cleanup is a breeze even after the boat has been in the water without wiping down for a week. My guy offers 2 options, a 2yr or 3 yr ceramic. Ive been using boat bling for wipe down several years now, love the stuff. I get it done every two years. I think im over doing it though it always stays glossy.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
OK somebody had to ask, what about the McGuires Ceramic DYI cream wax?
I know it is not the same durability as the professional coatings but does it do any good and for how long? You Know I am asking for a Friend!

Singleton

Reaction score
I know it is not the same durability as the professional coatings but does it do any good and for how long? You Know I am asking for a Friend!
Based on my research, ceramic is only as good as the prep work.
Bad prep before ceramic, you are just wasting money.

jbird

Reaction score
Based on my research, ceramic is only as good as the prep work.
Bad prep before ceramic, you are just wasting money.
This ^.
It has a lot to do with the correction, prep as well as the application of the ceramic. Done and maintained correctly, with a quality ceramic product you will easily get several years out of it.
Unfortunately there are very few that are actually doing the process correctly, even some of the bigger name shops are cutting corners.
Beware of the $650 ceramic job for your vehicle, you will get exactly what you pay for.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Its a wax, not a sealant like ceramic coat. Imho its a gimmick and won’t last.

DWC

Reaction score
Absolutely works. We just used a bottle of water and microfiber to wipe down. The first year with it was awesome, especially if you leave it in the water for multiple days. Make sure to use a ceramic friendly product if you do need a deep clean.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I love the ceramic coat makes cleaning a breeze. I noticed the difference right away. I used to have boat polished and waxed only. Towards the end of the season I would notice the wax wear off and needed more elbow grease when cleaning up. Now with ceramic the cleanup is a breeze even after the boat has been in the water without wiping down for a week. My guy offers 2 options, a 2yr or 3 yr ceramic. Ive been using boat bling for wipe down several years now, love the stuff. I get it done every two years. I think im over doing it though it always stays glossy.

So that's kinda the fucker of it.. LOL. Chris washes the boat exclusively, his wife washes the cars exclusively..

I got all my shit ceramic coated.. It keeps it clean longer, and makes it easier to wash later. Think I get a discount on the washes now that it's all coated? LOL. nope.

That said, I will say everything they coated, does look way better now than it ever did before, and it retains that glow, and almost repels dust for a lot longer. Black truck in the desert is tough normally. I'm on a two week wash schedule and my truck never looks that bad.

RD

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
This ^.
It has a lot to do with the correction, prep as well as the application of the ceramic. Done and maintained correctly, with a quality ceramic product you will easily get several years out of it.
Unfortunately there are very few that are actually doing the process correctly, even some of the bigger name shops are cutting corners.
Beware of the $650 ceramic job for your vehicle, you will get exactly what you pay for.
Prep is very important but what you do after its applied is just as important to make it last.

gqchris

Reaction score
This ^.
Yup. I just got my Maserati Paint Corrected and Coated. It was just over 2k. But looks better than from showroom floor!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Yeah it works well, just like other have said, damp rag and your are good, I use a cleaner/spray wax to help with longevity. One thing my guy said is to not use any cleaner that has vinegar in it. It will actually start to take the coating off and will not last as long. It really helped my old sled shine. You might want to get it buffed before you coat it unless gel or paint is not faded or scratched at all.

Riverryder

Reaction score
can anyone point me the section that proves this stuff isnt snake oil?
i want to believe it works, my boat shines really good after a days use with cooler water like OSB. have seen memebers boats that have been ceramic coated and wasnt impressed felt mine shined better with wax.

Justfishing

Reaction score
With summer coming up what about bugs? Are they easy tockean off? What if they bake for a week. How does commercial car washes affect the coating.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
With summer coming up what about bugs? Are they easy tockean off? What if they bake for a week. How does commercial car washes affect the coating.
as stated above you can't use an automatic wash. It will wreck it..and void any warranty on the coating.

Reactions: DWC

rush1

Reaction score
Yeah it works well, just like other have said, damp rag and your are good, I use a cleaner/spray wax to help with longevity. One thing my guy said is to not use any cleaner that has vinegar in it. It will actually start to take the coating off and will not last as long. It really helped my old sled shine. You might want to get it buffed before you coat it unless gel or paint is not faded or scratched at all.
So that means hot sauce is out of the question , so what do you use on a boat when you haul it out of the water ?

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
So that means hot sauce is out of the question , so what do you use on a boat when you haul it out of the water ?

Riverryder

Reaction score
The free shit..lol
And that doesn’t have vinegar in it at all? What about Ammonia? What does it have in it that makes it ceramic safe? Or is it more snake oil? Take a picture of your boat with a bright light next time your in havasu would like to see it. I want to believe in the snake oil.

Have seen some boats that have came out of that shop and wasn’t impressed. Have seen boats come out of the Howard shop and was next level.

@Justsomeguy thought I read someone that shine supply has some vinegar in it? Anyone see a break down of what’s in all that?

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
90 percent of the ceramic coat is the paint/gel corrections. Then the ceramic that locks it in for 2 years. No snake oil if done right. It’s not the ceramic that your paying for...it’s the 200 hours of polish prior

Riverryder

Reaction score
90 percent of the ceramic coat is the paint/gel corrections. Then the ceramic that locks it in for 2 years. No snake oil if done right. It’s not the ceramic that your paying for...it’s the 200 hours of polish prior
Thank you. It’s the cut and buff that they do before they apply the ceramic correct? The heat that the gels reaches in the sun is enough to cook any protectant of the surface. Thats says why I wipe the boat down all day long!

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. It’s the cut and buff that they do before they apply the ceramic correct? The heat that the gels reaches in the sun is enough to cook any protectant of the surface. Thats says why I wipe the boat down all day long!
Hell yeah! It’s so much more than just a cut and buff! I don’t have havasu qualified people in my area...I have spent so many hours polishing! And I wouldn’t dare seal my crap work with ceramic. At least I have an excuse to be at the dock daily...lol

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
It's 100% all about the prep before the coating. The coating just helps maintain. According to Jeremy it doesn't utilize vinegar as that promotes oxidation and dries out the gel. Can I confirm? It certainly doesn't have a hint of a smell of vinegar, but no I don't have the chemical break down.

Ceramic lasts longer than wax in my experience. Is perfect? No. Is it forever? No. Is it snake oil? It's as much snake oil as wax, I would say..

Riverryder

Reaction score
It's 100% all about the prep before the coating. The coating just helps maintain. According to Jeremy it doesn't utilize vinegar as that promotes oxidation and dries out the gel. Can I confirm? It certainly doesn't have a hint of a smell of vinegar, but no I don't have the chemical break down.

Ceramic lasts longer than wax in my experience. Is perfect? No. Is it forever? No. Is it snake oil? It's as much snake oil as wax, I would say..
Exactly. Most spray cleaners have some hard chemical in it to cut the water spots. If it is taken hard water spots off that have baked all day it’s breaking down the ceramic coat down a little too. I know wax breaks down especially with heat. That’s why thru out the day I will wipe the boat, it gets waxed when the gel is cool and not in the sun.
Wonder how so many hot rods or show cars did it before ceramic.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I can say with out question ceramic coating is not snake oil. My sandrail i had coated during paint.
years later after crash, i had panels powder coated instead of duplicating graphics. powder coater called me to ask what the fuck paint was used because his chemical stripping took days per panel versus hours. He ended up having to blast side panels because he couldn’t get chemicals to strip.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Melloyellovector who did the sandrail? Reading that makes me want to use that person! Because I have seen work of some of these shops and like I said Howarddetail is the only company that has impressed me.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

Correct No Hot Sauce. I got another one at Spankys that didn’t have vinegar. It’s was just a standard cleaner can’t remember the name. . I’ve also used Lucus oil spray wax cleaner (stuff smells like big red gum) and some other basic cleaner from autozone. You don’t need anything fancy when it’s ceramic coated.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
He’s a buddy of mine that used to spray show trucks and cars for me.
jrf auto body / elite car restorations off Lakewood in paramount
entire paint, graphics, candies, fades, lace, and ceramic was 28,000 range, stupid money. Didn’t feel like a friend when I got the invoice
No idea what the ceramic only would cost, lol

night and day difference dust/sand would fall off or I could wave my hand and the air movement alone would clean it. cordless blower looked detailed.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Coming up on 2 years after doing my 2006 Tundra myself with Griots Garage 3 & 1 Ceramic Spray Wax.
Still beading . . . so good enough for me.
$16 bucks a bottle & some elbow grease.
EZ-PZ.
:cool:

Riverryder

Reaction score
Correct No Hot Sauce. I got another one at Spankys that didn’t have vinegar. It’s was just a standard cleaner can’t remember the name. . I’ve also used Lucus oil spray wax cleaner (stuff smells like big red gum) and some other basic cleaner from autozone. You don’t need anything fancy when it’s ceramic coated.
Lucas oil spray has vinegar in it..

Riverryder

Reaction score
@SKIDMARC 😑 nvm I found myself trying to enlighten people today, it doesn’t have any chemical to effect the coating you did.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
And that doesn’t have vinegar in it at all? What about Ammonia? What does it have in it that makes it ceramic safe? Or is it more snake oil? Take a picture of your boat with a bright light next time your in havasu would like to see it. I want to believe in the snake oil.

Have seen some boats that have came out of that shop and wasn’t impressed. Have seen boats come out of the Howard shop and was next level.

They have their own brand of ceramic, and since its a pretty large shop holding the warranty on ceramic coatings as well as providing their own maintenance spray (at no charge as far as I know for refills)..I'm just going to take a wild guess and think that they likely know what they are doing when it comes to maintenance/wipe down spray though of course I've been wrong about a lot of things in life 🤣

There are a number of boats with extremely high resolution photos on this very site with their product on them.. IDK if the feature on this one was done before or after..but this would be one... https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/articles/dixxon-flannel-eliminator-28-fundeck.919/ & there are plenty of other examples again with very high resolution photos, check their social media as well.

bocco

Reaction score
I used this and got great results. Spending $1000.00 or more to get my truck coated is out of the question for me. It's not 100% ceramic but it still looks good after almost a year. I didn't really need paint correction since the truck was pretty new. I think I spent $100 for both products.
20211008_090611.jpg
20211010_063921.jpg

Javajoe

Reaction score
I pour my cooler water into a bucket and use damp microfiber towels to wipe down. Easy peezy.
We use cloth diapers. Super soft and absorbent. That cooler water works great. Takes hard water spots off easy

707dog

Reaction score
its been mentioned already but prepping it right will make the difference. iv done three of my vehicles using the NexGen product all hand applied minus the paint correction/polish i used Maguire's finishing polish with a rotary polisher. two of them are black and the other red/white it really brought out the depth of the colors and easy to wash or wipe down. I just started using chemical guys synthetic detail spray stuff works great. the boat will be getting done very soon hoping for the same results.
20211108_112945.jpg
20210507_101621.jpg
20220330_172404.jpg
20220330_172342.jpg

Last edited:

MagicMan

Reaction score
The ceramic works great for me snake oil and all. Cleans up effortlessly smooth every time. Everyone always ask why the gelcoats so glossy.

Attachments

• 24C0A5C6-2D06-4B17-8015-7B4FD22942A0.jpeg
    24C0A5C6-2D06-4B17-8015-7B4FD22942A0.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 33

jbird

Reaction score
Did you see this boat at ds?
If this was coated then this is even more reason that it’s snake oil…
I sure hope it wasn't. And if so, it got the $650 special.

The white & blue 33 that eliminator also had on display at DS was a apparently a brand new boat with testing time only. The gel, windshields and accent pieces were in such bad shape the boat looked like it had been used for several seasons.

I see a couple manufactures turning out new boats that the finish is terrible on, scratched, swirled and even burned from a poor polish job.
More reason to get that new boat in for a correction and coating, it will look better than new.

Quality ceramic coating done and maintained right is definitely not snake oil. It will last several years and makes clean up easy without having to wax once or twice a season.