WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Questions for those that have built a house

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
FYI: Down south just north of San Antonio. Custom is going about $200-210 sq ft.....with many many options, up to $250 all decked out to the hilt. (land not included)

Yah, these semi-custom builds are ending up at $260 or so, including the land. It's starting to get expensive, but still affordable.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Someone mentioned backyard fencing in an earlier post. Since the OP's lot is on a corner and backs up to a greenbelt, I have some advice about the subject.

The Texas sun and weather really takes a toll on fences. The expansive clay soil can make the posts move out of level. Some due diligence now will prevent future issues. The choices are broad, and if the OP intends to live in the house more than 10 years, upgrades are a good investment.

Find out what the builder will provide. The usual fence is made from pine pickets with 4" X 4" posts. Galvanized steel posts set in concrete with a 36" depth will keep the fence vertical over time. Upgrades on frame and picket materials are treated pine or cedar. Obviously those choices add expense, and I don't know what the delta is. I recommend treated wood. It will make a significant difference in performance and appearance. Plain pine will degrade quickly, warp, and require some picket replacement after just a few years. Cedar is the best choice for longevity, but the cost difference for the corner lot will be huge.

The two things that will determine how long the fence will look good and perform well are staining with a preservative and correctly installing and maintaining the landscaping sprinkler system.

There are companies in North Texas that specialize in fence treatment, and good materials properly applied can make a fence last 30 years or more. The fence should be prepped and resprayed everything four years. I recommend treating both sides of the fence facing the greenbelt. The cost to treat fence common to neighbors can be split if they want to step up, but if they decline, spraying one side will still provide significant benefits to appearance and structural integrity.

An improperly installed and poorly maintained sprinkler system will inflict serious damage on the fence. The heads should be placed four to six inches away from the fence, and aimed so they don't wet the fence when active. This is really important. The overspray can cause aesthetic and structural damage that will require replacement of pickets. The spray patterns must be continually monitored and adjusted as needed to avoid these issues.

Our board on board clear cedar backyard fence was installed in 1998, a few months after we purchased the house. It was pressure washed and retreated a few weeks ago, and 24 years later it looks like it is almost new.

View attachment 1025268

That house looks familiar [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

72Hondo

Reaction score
Your 15 mins up the road! I’m Over near the In n out on 114 across from the speedway. Denton county, northwest ISD.

Ours was built in 2018. I won’t mention the builder and the super was awesome. He actually bought a house across the street. A few things we’ve learned from a new house.

After home is completed, get your own home inspector. Regardless of what the builder says. They try to build as quickly as possible and to min code. Plan on your punch list taking 4-5 hours, be meticulous. If possible, try to schedule it during a day it will rain.

Your house will settle! If doing floor tile, it will crack. Our builder only did replacement tile once. We had one big tile replacement at the end of our first year. Check sprinkler system too. Two spots didn’t work, one had a broken head.

Grading could be a problem. A lot of neighbors had French drains put in, we lucked out.

We’ve had very minor issues: paint, doors realigned, touch up texturing, cabinet fixes, really nothing major.

Check in often, make a few contacts with the trades. We got the stone guys to come back out after everything was done to do flower beds and tree rings. Saved a ton there.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yah, these semi-custom builds are ending up at $260 or so, including the land. It's starting to get expensive, but still affordable.

Compared to CA for sure.....Just need to add the local prop tax and the PID if you have it.

These are the ones that have our attention with some modification with either layout. Its different when you want a wall moved or mix different layouts together and its not a problem. Very different to CA.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Your 15 mins up the road! I’m Over near the In n out on 114 across from the speedway. Denton county, northwest ISD.

Ours was built in 2018. I won’t mention the builder and the super was awesome. He actually bought a house across the street. A few things we’ve learned from a new house.

After home is completed, get your own home inspector. Regardless of what the builder says. They try to build as quickly as possible and to min code. Plan on your punch list taking 4-5 hours, be meticulous. If possible, try to schedule it during a day it will rain.

Your house will settle! If doing floor tile, it will crack. Our builder only did replacement tile once. We had one big tile replacement at the end of our first year. Check sprinkler system too. Two spots didn’t work, one had a broken head.

Grading could be a problem. A lot of neighbors had French drains put in, we lucked out.

We’ve had very minor issues: paint, doors realigned, touch up texturing, cabinet fixes, really nothing major.

Check in often, make a few contacts with the trades. We got the stone guys to come back out after everything was done to do flower beds and tree rings. Saved a ton there.

It looks like we are going to have to get a N Texas crew together.

Our Realtor said the same thing about an independent inspector. She said that was a must. Unfortunately we’ll be in CA during the majority of the build, but we’ll fly out a few times for the big milestones. Hopefully we can build some good relationships while we’re out there.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Compared to CA for sure.....Just need to add the local prop tax and the PID if you have it.

These are the ones that have our attention with some modification with either layout. Its different when you want a wall moved or mix different layouts together and its not a problem. Very different to CA.

Those are some great layouts. We decided on single story as well, but a little smaller since it’s only two of us.

Have you checked out Glacier, Noble, Independence, or Providential? Some really nice layouts when I was trying to get into The Highlands in Northlake.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Those are some great layouts. We decided on single story as well, but a little smaller since it’s only two of us.

Have you checked out Glacier, Noble, Independence, or Providential? Some really nice layouts when I was trying to get into The Highlands in Northlake.

I haven't but will check them out. thx.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Has anyone ever painted the brick of their house before? Did it last? Any structural issues after a while? My wife and I are thinking about going for elevation A, painting the brick white, and switching to a black shingle roof. "She likes the modern farmhouse look" $7,500 upcharge which doesn't seem bad.

Elevation A is included with the home, but it looks a little plain.
A Elevation.jpg

Elevation B is better, but not worth the $15k upcharge to us.
B Elevation.jpg

Elevation C is our favorite, but they want $20k for it because of the stone at the bottom. Personally, I like the design features and could do without the stone, but they won't do it.
C Elevation.jpg

c_land

Reaction score
Has anyone ever painted the brick of their house before? Did it last? Any structural issues after a while? My wife and I are thinking about going for elevation A, painting the brick white, and switching to a black shingle roof. "She likes the modern farmhouse look" $7,500 upcharge which doesn't seem bad.

Elevation A is included with the home, but it looks a little plain.
View attachment 1028450
Elevation B is better, but not worth the $15k upcharge to us.
View attachment 1028452
Elevation C is our favorite, but they want $20k for it because of the stone at the bottom. Personally, I like the design features and could do without the stone, but they won't do it.
View attachment 1028455
Review your CC&R's before you make that decision. The HOA may have authority to approve color changes. They may not allow painting at all if the exterior is brick.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Review your CC&R's before you make that decision. The HOA may have authority to approve color changes. They may not allow painting at all if the exterior is brick.
Good catch.

This has already been approved by the HOA as it will be done during the initial build. The painted brick and different color shingles are an off-book builder option.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That stone on the bottom dates the house quickly, seen it used and after months it doesn't look good.

Elv A looks good, maybe the builder could add some exterior shutters like on B, then you don't have the rock bottom

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
That stone on the bottom dates the house quickly, seen it used and after months it doesn't look good.

Elv A looks good, maybe the builder could add some exterior shutters like on B, then you don't have the rock bottom
Agree 100%. It doesn’t flow to me.

That’s a good idea. I’ll see what they can do. There are a lot of choices and combos floating around that would seem nice, but it complicates the hell out of things with my wife. Hahah