WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Quitting tobacco products.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I decided the other day that I was going to quit, Copenhagen had its hooks me pretty deep. My wife told me she would buy me a porsche if I quit, we made a sticker chart and everything just like we do with the kiddo. So here we are 6 days in and I have not had any tobacco. The first day was a real mother fucker, minute by minute straight dope fiend type shit. I was pretty loopy all day, dizzy, could not focus, agitated etc.. I bought some good beef jerkey, altoids, bubble gum and kept it handy for the day. It was a long day, day 2 was not to bad at all, couple times I was agitated with the situation but it soon passed. I think I'm in the clear now, no jerky or breath mints, just kinda cruising along. I don't know that I even want a porsche after doing a bunch of research now, but I will say that the thought got me through the first day and its been down hill since then.

Just thought I would put this out there for those of you that struggle with giving up these type of vices, its possible to quit. A little will power is all it takes:thumbsup

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good for you!! Stay strong! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Blubyu

Reaction score
That's awesome man! Good job.

My Dad smoked for some 20+ years. I remember every morning I would get up in the morning and he would be taking me to football practice hacking/ coughing up a lung and I always said quit smoking I bet you wouldn't do that every morning anymore. Finally one day he just up and quit, he was a crank some bitch for a couple days but hasn't smoked since. :thumbsup

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Good for you Dylan.... :thumbup:

I never got into dip or cigarettes, but I enjoy cigars alot.....

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
I've got a chew in my mouth damn near every waking moment. 30 years now. Yes, I still have all my natural teeth in good condition and no I don't have any visible issues in my gums or lips.

It's been said that it's more difficult to quit than smoking.

I've tried before and always fell back on it. Certain triggers make me want a chew in the worst way.

Good for you for dropping it like a hot coal. Keep it up :thumbup:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Awesome!!

Just go test drive some Porches when you think you might fail!
Should do the trick!

3 months smoke free for Deb and I now.
She is off the E-cigs, I am down to about 2 a week, but smoke free.

PVHCA

Reaction score
One good thing comes from this, I won't be finding that shit in my shop anymore!!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds just give it a shot.

I started to chew in medic school, and it's been a bad habit since. I found for me it was a matter of keeping my mouth busy. And when I felt the urge for a dip, I'd ball up a piece of gum and stick it in my lip. Just having the sensation of something there pretty much worked. Haven't bought a can in 2 years.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Good luck!!! I know a lot of people who quit after decades of smoking. It's tough but you'll feel like a million bucks!!!

So if not the Porsche what's your back up reward?

Sent from my Bat Cave

As far as the backup reward, I'm thinking good health and a longer life is pretty fucking great LOL.

As my daughter would say "yeah me" :)

Cajun

Reaction score
I'm 43. I quit over. 5 years ago, after smoking for 20 years. The first 3 months sucks ass, but you'll get over it. Sunday, a buddy (he smokes) and I went to the store before the game. Carried a couple of bags to the car, I was amazed at how winded he was just from walking to the car with a few groceries.

jet496

Reaction score
Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. That being said, I quit smoking after almost 40 years. The 1st month or two is the hardest, than you start calming down & start forgetting about it as more time passes. You just need to watch out for weak moments like being drunk. Drinking is where I would usually pick up again. Anyway, after a year the craving is completely gone. Well worth it.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. That being said, I quit smoking after almost 40 years. The 1st month or two is the hardest, than you start calming down & start forgetting about it as more time passes. You just need to watch out for weak moments like being drunk. Drinking is where I would usually pick up again. Anyway, after a year the craving is completely gone. Well worth it.

That's good to know. I've been considering giving up heroin. :thumbup: :D

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds just give it a shot.

I started to chew in medic school, and it's been a bad habit since. I found for me it was a matter of keeping my mouth busy. And when I felt the urge for a dip, I'd ball up a piece of gum and stick it in my lip. Just having the sensation of something there pretty much worked. Haven't bought a can in 2 years.

Something that works well too is Mint Snuff. It is just mint leaves.:thumbsup

Nordie

Reaction score
Dylan I have tried to quit this habit more then once, I chew skoal mint long cut, 2 bad things happen when I quit, I will eat like a fucking horse, and any little thing will send me off the deep end. My wife told me if I try to quit again, she will go stay with mom and pop for 10 days until the nicotine finally vacates my system. There is a company, "the name slips me right now " but they have natural mint, spearmint, and a couple others in a can the will line that Copenhagen ring in your jeans perfectly. Its a placebo, but it was working for me for a bit. I will try this strategy again soon. If that doesn't work hang out with a shit ton of mormons that will judge the shit out of you if you chew, you cannot hangout with just one mormon, because they will probably ask you for a dip!

rrrr

Reaction score
I quit Skoal Bandits cold turkey on New Years Day in 1998. I made up my mind to quit eight months before that but didn't tell anyone. I didn't want the pressure to be any worse than it already was. Those eight months allowed me to steel myself, to form positive thoughts about quitting.

When the day came, I had already purchased 10 rolls of sugar free Life Saver peppermint breath mints. Those were the key to my success...I kept a roll of those mints in my pocket for six years, going through a couple of rolls a day for at least three years. The desire to have something in my mouth was that strong.

So do your best, whiteworks. Quitting oral tobacco is harder than cigarettes, it has twice the nicotine and the oral fixation is much stronger. ROC, think about quitting. Using oral tobacco will eventually destroy your teeth and gums, and cancer is a real possibility.

Best of luck to both of you and others that want to quit using tobacco...it's been almost 15 years for me and I hate to think of the damage that would have been done to my health if I hadn't quit.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I chew and smoke. I'm in sales so I chew during the day when dealing with customers, smoke at night.

I've quit for a year at a time then all of a sudden I go to Vegas or just tie one on and let loose and next thing you know I'm standing in line at a gas station admiring that big wall of nicotine behind the clerk lol

Don't ever think you're in the clear, a few days ain't shit. All it takes is you thinking you can handle it one night and next thing you know you're buying.

My quit date is coming quick. I know what failure feels like and what not to do. This time I hope to kick it for good.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Great job :thumbup:

During my high school years playing baseball i started chewing. It was a hard habit to kick after 20 years. Every time i'm on the baseball field i alwasy have the urge to roll it up in my bubble gum.

Congrats again on your accomplishment.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Heres my deal, I quit, its done, its over, I've thrown in the towel and moved on.

Im the guy that would run out at 3am if my can was getting low. If I left my house without a can I would have anxiety and go buy a couple. Total crackhead fiend behavior, for years, its now over. I was just trying to remember the last time I ran out of Cope or went without, I could not, and did not. When I travel I would buy a log and then carry it on the plane with me because I did not want that shit getting lost. How about this one, going to 6 different stores in a row because they were either out or their shit was not fresh.

Any of this behavior sound familiar to anyone?:D

GET SOME

Reaction score
Heres my deal, I quit, its done, its over, I've thrown in the towel and moved on.

Im the guy that would run out at 3am if my can was getting low. If I left my house without a can I would have anxiety and go buy a couple. Total crackhead fiend behavior, for years, its now over. I was just trying to remember the last time I ran out of Cope or went without, I could not, and did not. When I travel I would buy a log and then carry it on the plane with me because I did not want that shit getting lost. How about this one, going to 6 different stores in a row because they were either out or their shit was not fresh.

Been there... Drives you nuts.. Quit 3 weeks ago and going strong..
Something's are just better with a chew.. Almost all garage projects.. Mowing the lawn.. Not a day has gone by without thinking about one..

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Good luck. I've been trying to quit for years. Fuckin tobacco is evil.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score

100% me. Copenhagen has a grip on me.

In fact, the morning I got deployed to New York, my wife asked me if I needed anything before I left the station (About 10AM). I asked her to get me 20 cans of Cope. She had it to me within the hour, right before I was headed out. I needed every bit of it in ten days.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I can go days without a cigarette. As soon as I work, or drink, I'm right back in. I don't wake up wanting one. I don't need one after I eat. Most of the time I don't think of it. I hate the smell of second hand smoke. Yet certain activities trigger it. It drives me crazy.

whiteworks

Reaction score

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381277048759.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381277048759.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 19

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Have you tried a sticker chart? :D

No, but I don't think a Porsche could keep the smokes away. I mean it's not like I don't know I'm killing myself, wasting money, shortening my life, making my clothes smell, wasting energy and time as well as possibly giving myself cancer. That hasn't seemed to deter me, how is a car I can't afford going to help???

whiteworks

Reaction score
No, but I don't think a Porsche could keep the smokes away. I mean it's not like I don't know I'm killing myself, wasting money, shortening my life, making my clothes smell, wasting energy and time as well as possibly giving myself cancer. That hasn't seemed to deter me, how is a car I can't afford going to help???

Its not the car, its the little girl that helps me put the sticker on at the end of the day.;)

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Im the guy that would run out at 3am if my can was getting low. Any of this behavior sound familiar to anyone?:D

I've been chewing since sixth grade and enjoy every spittin moment of it!

I buy bulk, I make sure that I never run out. :D

IMG_20131008_170541_601.jpg

rvrmom

Reaction score
Ugg I smoke and I hate it. There is nothing pretty or setting a good example for my son. I started smoking at 14/15. Quit twice. It is an embarrassing habit and nasty and expensive. I gotta step it up. :(

Slow What

Reaction score
I've got a chew in my mouth damn near every waking moment. 30 years now. Yes, I still have all my natural teeth in good condition and no I don't have any visible issues in my gums or lips.

It's been said that it's more difficult to quit than smoking.

I've tried before and always fell back on it. Certain triggers make me want a chew in the worst way.

Good for you for dropping it like a hot coal. Keep it up :thumbup:

Same here, 32yrs dippin Copenhagen, last time I tried to quit my Ex Wife went and bought me a can and said "and to think I thought you were a Asshole before" :D

havasu5150

Reaction score
I quit chewing in 2001 after 20 years of a Skoal habit.
It was hard to do...but the fact that it was an expensive habit was my motivation. Gained weight so now I'm working on that. but in the long run aquitting was a good thing. Don't even think about chewing any more.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I haven't smoked since October 2001. I was late 30's. Was kind of a closet smoker but I definitely enjoyed the nicotine thing. Got tired of the cloths and cars smelling like smoke. Also felt bad for my wife who had to smell me coming to bed stinking when she didn't smoke. Yea, cigarette smoking wafting in the air especially when I've been drink doesn't smell terrible to me but I'll never smoke cigs again.

rrrr

Reaction score
Same here, 32yrs dippin Copenhagen, last time I tried to quit my Ex Wife went and bought me a can and said "and to think I thought you were a Asshole before" :D

About two years after I quit the Skoal Bandits someone asked me if it had affected my temperament for a while. My wife was standing there listening...I said "Nahh, it wasn't too bad. I handled it OK."

She gave me a dirty look and said "You were a fucking asshole for six months!"

:D :D

whiteworks

Reaction score
20 days, no tobacco products. Seems to be going well other than I want to move to the middle of no where so I don't have to be around people LOL

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I think you've made it D. Now....about that Porsche..:D