WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

R99 diesel

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
you trust this stuff or keep using petroleum diesel fuel? First I’ve seen it.

F989DBEB-A404-4698-BD85-B397CF5C9794.jpeg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Lots of people with filter issues and that stuff. If they change their fuel filters more often it seems to help. No thanks $$

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Out here I've never seen it. I wonder if the filter issues are like the gelling issues with old school biodiesel or veggie oil? In which case, I wonder if it would be a good alternative for idi motors and older tractors.

LC925

Reaction score
Haven’t seen it at the pump yet in Ca. Where you at?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine who was a chemical engineer at Chevron (retired a few months ago) and he said its the same as normal diesel and shouldn't react or operate any differently.

hman442

Reaction score
My opinion, based on no data, just my gut. I wouldn't use it on a later model pickup, for instance Ram wants both fuel filters changed every 15,000 miles as it is, at a cost of over $200, so I wouldn't want to "speed that up", but if I was running a old 7.3 for instance, if it was cheaper, or there was a reason to run it, I'd try it. But if the cost is close, why ask for potential trouble.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Paid $3.12⁹/gal. yesterday.
I wouldn't pay extra for possible problems. But it's a 7.3 PSD. It would probably run on pure waste motor oil. Or worse. 😜

Dan'l

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Paid $3.12⁹/gal. yesterday.
I wouldn't pay extra for possible problems. But it's a 7.3 PSD. It would probably run on pure waste motor oil. Or worse. 😜

Dan'l
Have a buddy up north with a tranny shop. He uses diesel to start up, then switches tanks. Rear tank is "fitered" atf! He's been doing it for 5 years to commute to and from work in a 96psd.

sintax

Reaction score
Funny, I begrudgingly put 20 gal of that stuff from 76 into my tank this morning. I normally wouldn’t have but it was the only station around.

I really haven’t looked into what exactly that shit is, hope it’s ok…. I normally run B20

boatnam2

Reaction score
Renewable is still the same old # 2 Dsl as far as I know, but blended with 4% renewable Dsl versus 20% bio diesel, higher cetane # with less emissions.

Mototrig

Reaction score
On biodiesel I lost power with higher EGT. Filled up with #2 power was restored and normal EGT.

sintax

Reaction score
On biodiesel I lost power with higher EGT. Filled up with #2 power was restored and normal EGT.

With the B20 I’ve noticed way better mpg and smoother / quieter. My EGTs are good either way, no cats or dpf’s getting in the way

Mototrig

Reaction score
With the B20 I’ve noticed way better mpg and smoother / quieter. My EGTs are good either way, no cats or dpf’s getting in the way
I don't have cats or DPF either 😎 7.3 LoL

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
I fill up with propel renewable diesel. No issues. But if you’ve been running Dino diesel it’ll clean out your fuel system so if you make the switch make sure you’re close to a fuel filter change interval.

4Waters

Reaction score
Have a buddy up north with a tranny shop. He uses diesel to start up, then switches tanks. Rear tank is "fitered" atf! He's been doing it for 5 years to commute to and from work in a 96psd.
I have a buddy that put almost 400k on his 7.3 Excursion running used ATF, he is a parts manager at a Ford dealership, he set up a pump system with a 100? micron filter, got it for free, started just fine on ATF

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have a buddy that put almost 400k on his 7.3 Excursion running used ATF, he is a parts manager at a Ford dealership, he set up a pump system with a 100? micron filter, got it for free, started just fine on ATF
When I changed the fuel filter in my 7.3, I always primed it with a fresh quart of whatever atf I had on hand. Maybe it was just to cold where he is?

C08H18

Reaction score
Consistent 5-10% decrease in mileage on long highway trips using the R95. I now try and avoid it. If i must, i find petroleum diesel and top off as soon as possible.

BamBam

Reaction score
The Costco in Torrance, where I fill with Diesel in the motorhome, is now R99 Diesel. I paid $4.05 a gallon and all of the stations in the area are $4.69-$4.89 a gallon. I spoke with the Phillips 66 guys about R99 at a training class a couple months ago and their take was that due to the refining processes, it is essentially the same as petroleum diesel. It is refined in a similar manner as petrol and not at all like bio-diesel, even though bio and R99 both start with renewable animal and vegetable fats. Seems to me if this stuff is as legit as they say we can create a renewable diesel energy source that lowers the carbon footprint of all diesel vehicles due to the fact that the plants that grow the fuel are making oxygen and using CO2 as they grow. It also lowers our reliance on OPEC and other methods of finding dino crude.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The refining process of normal diesel requires a great deal of heat I thought. I wonder what magical source of heat they use for this stuff to be made?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Vin used it and felt a power loss with more and much longer regenerations.
Not to be confused with Bio diesel.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The Costco in Torrance, where I fill with Diesel in the motorhome, is now R99 Diesel. I paid $4.05 a gallon and all of the stations in the area are $4.69-$4.89 a gallon. I spoke with the Phillips 66 guys about R99 at a training class a couple months ago and their take was that due to the refining processes, it is essentially the same as petroleum diesel. It is refined in a similar manner as petrol and not at all like bio-diesel, even though bio and R99 both start with renewable animal and vegetable fats. Seems to me if this stuff is as legit as they say we can create a renewable diesel energy source that lowers the carbon footprint of all diesel vehicles due to the fact that the plants that grow the fuel are making oxygen and using CO2 as they grow. It also lowers our reliance on OPEC and other methods of finding dino crude.
I'm just wondering when folks will start to realize that instead of growing food, we're growing fuel. Soon...what are we gonna eat?

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I had a great video of algae fuels that I used at Wyotech . I'll dig around and see if I can find it...

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I'm just wondering when folks will start to realize that instead of growing food, we're growing fuel. Soon...what are we gonna eat?

Actually no. It’s the waste oil being used. Do you eat dirty fry vat oil?

No your argument would be valid for e85 ethanol. But that has been a thing since 2006 so it’s not new

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
@ $4.59 it's gotta be good.
Yeah diesel in the OC ain’t cheap. I could drive into Long Beach/Wilmington to catch a break but then I’d risk getting robbed.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Soo this is not the one but this is a good simple description... Fresh oil with no contaminants from being in the ground (sulfur is just one)= less processing that can be done with current refinery's also produces less co2 per gallon! But fuck that will never work it is too easy. Let's get mor lithium!!!!!!!!!! They have also come up with strains that clean sewage to drinking water quality.

4Waters

Reaction score
The refining process of normal diesel requires a great deal of heat I thought. I wonder what magical source of heat they use for this stuff to be made?
It's my understanding that the first byproduct of refining gasoline is diesel fuel (in its rough form) that's why over a hundred years ago they threw it out/started selling it for lanterns

rrrr

Reaction score
It also lowers our reliance on OPEC and other methods of finding dino crude.
We can lower our reliance on OPEC by voting Biden and his useless idiots out of office. The United States has more than enough oil to meet our domestic needs, the country had reached energy independence before Biden was elected.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the first byproduct of refining gasoline is diesel fuel (in its rough form) that's why over a hundred years ago they threw it out/started selling it for lanterns
Until some guy named diesel (not "Vin") developed a tractor that was designed to run on peanut oil...then they had a use for the waste product.

rrrr

Reaction score
You have it backwards. Gasoline was a waste product from refining crude oil for its kerosene fraction. About thirty years after kerosene was first refined from crude oil in the 1860s for fueling lanterns, Rudolf Diesel discovered it was also a suitable fuel for his compression ignited internal combustion engine.

Kerosene was initially made from coal tar and shale oils in the 1840s before the first crude oil wells were drilled about twenty years later.

Gasoline was discovered nearly 160 years ago as a byproduct of refining crude oil to make kerosene for lighting. There was no use for gasoline at the time, so it was burned at the refinery, converted to a gaseous fuel for gas lights, or simply discarded. About 125 years ago, in the early 1890s, automobile inventors began to realize that gasoline had value as a motor fuel.

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Fuck no. Not when it priced almost the same. Same goes for B20. All newer Mercedes and Ram trucks can only run up to B5

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
We can lower our reliance on OPEC by voting Biden and his useless idiots out of office. The United States has more than enough oil to meet our domestic needs, the country had reached energy independence before Biden was elected.

Lol we didn’t vote for him. Coup d’état is what we got

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Until some guy named diesel (not "Vin") developed a tractor that was designed to run on peanut oil...then they had a use for the waste product.
The development of the first diesel engine is kind of a neat story....Rudolf Diesel and Robert Bosch had been working on it for a while, they didn't realize it was actually running until one of them noticed the slack was on the other side of the line shaft belt they'd been attempting to start the engine with.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Yeah diesel in the OC ain’t cheap. I could drive into Long Beach/Wilmington to catch a break but then I’d risk getting robbed.
Its quite a bit cheaper in sunset beach.

BamBam

Reaction score
Fuck no. Not when it priced almost the same. Same goes for B20. All newer Mercedes and Ram trucks can only run up to B5
R99 and any diesel that has a B in front of the % are not the same. R99 is renewable diesel. It IS approved by Cummins for all of their Diesel engines and in fact has a higher Cetane rating and burns cleaner than petroleum based diesel.

Carrera205

Reaction score
I run the r99 in my 7.3 and it seems to run quieter, start easier and have better power overall. I do get less mileage though. From what Iv read it has better lubrication than ulsd. I was expecting it to be cheaper. As of now its always 10 cents more than low grade but cheaper than mid. I also dont have black soot all over my rear fender when I run it.

Boat 405

Reaction score
R99 and any diesel that has a B in front of the % are not the same. R99 is renewable diesel. It IS approved by Cummins for all of their Diesel engines and in fact has a higher Cetane rating and burns cleaner than petroleum based diesel.
That is good to know. The B20 stuff I don't think many folks know that you can't run it in all diesels

Badchoices03

Reaction score
My wife pumped a full tank of R99 in my 6.7, after she was done pumping she sent me a pic of the R99 label and was like "I hope this is ok in your truck"....I immediately freaked out and told her do not start it, do not move it, let me look into it....after a quick google search I told her it was ok...I ran that tank pretty much empty, didn't notice any difference positively or negatively....but hearing how picky these motors are with fuel I feel safer with regular diesel.