WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RAAM, Any interest in a team?

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Holy shit...5 days coast to coast for the relay teams? That is fucking INSANE! 25MPH average for 5 days straight.... 🤘 Blazing!

Yeah, the train never stops. Typical 4 man team, 6 hour shifts. RV following, food, sleep etc.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
so, thats like 7 Century rides for each person in about a week. Sign me up, just keep me in the daytime hours.

That sounds like an absolutely miserable yet fantastically enjoyable time.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Funny, I never had any interest in Raam but know some guys who have done it as a team. I have some documentaries on it, and it is pretty insane (the guys who do it by themselves). Glen Plake invited me to do the 508 https://www.the508.net/ which I was sort of interested in but RAAM is just not on my bucket list.

I am going to do an Everesting hopefully later this year if I can get in damn shape.

"The concept of Everesting is fiendishly simple: Pick any hill, anywhere in the world and complete repeats of it in a single activity until you climb 8,848m (29,029 feet) - the equivalent height of Mt Everest. Complete the challenge on a bike, on foot, or online, and you’ll find your name in the Hall of Fame, alongside the best climbers in the world. "

The trick is, you have to find a climb that it hasn't been done on. Lucky for me, Nevada is pretty wide open in terms of climbs that have not been used. Only about 3000 have ever been done anyways. We will see. Just like riding my bike again and staying healthy.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Funny, I never had any interest in Raam but know some guys who have done it as a team. I have some documentaries on it, and it is pretty insane (the guys who do it by themselves). Glen Plake invited me to do the 508 https://www.the508.net/ which I was sort of interested in but RAAM is just not on my bucket list.

I am going to do an Everesting hopefully later this year if I can get in damn shape.

"The concept of Everesting is fiendishly simple: Pick any hill, anywhere in the world and complete repeats of it in a single activity until you climb 8,848m (29,029 feet) - the equivalent height of Mt Everest. Complete the challenge on a bike, on foot, or online, and you’ll find your name in the Hall of Fame, alongside the best climbers in the world. "

The trick is, you have to find a climb that it hasn't been done on. Lucky for me, Nevada is pretty wide open in terms of climbs that have not been used. Only about 3000 have ever been done anyways. We will see. Just like riding my bike again and staying healthy.

There was a British woman broke the UK's Everesting record last weekend. She broke the all time record for women AND men.

You were one of the cyclists I was thinking of here.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
so, thats like 7 Century rides for each person in about a week. Sign me up, just keep me in the daytime hours.

That sounds like an absolutely miserable yet fantastically enjoyable time.

This...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
There was a British woman broke the UK's Everesting record last weekend. She broke the all time record for women AND men.

You were one of the cyclists I was thinking of here.

Under 10 hours is super impressive, but I think there are a few guys that have done it in the 7 hour time frame. https://www.bicycling.com/news/a32585320/pro-mountain-biker-keegan-swenson-sets-everesting-record/

If I do it, I would like to be under 12 hours. I know a few guys that have done it, but they were in the 15 to 20 hour time frames. I am almost 50 now so under 12 hours would be pretty bitchen.

Yeah, I like to sleep too much. RAAM doesn't do much for me in terms of being fun whatsoever. hahahaha! And it has to be fun for me to do it.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Under 10 hours is super impressive, but I think there are a few guys that have done it in the 7 hour time frame. https://www.bicycling.com/news/a32585320/pro-mountain-biker-keegan-swenson-sets-everesting-record/

If I do it, I would like to be under 12 hours. I know a few guys that have done it, but they were in the 15 to 20 hour time frames. I am almost 50 now so under 12 hours would be pretty bitchen.

Yeah, I like to sleep too much. RAAM doesn't do much for me in terms of being fun whatsoever. hahahaha! And it has to be fun for me to do it.

Have you seen the big fight on Strava about the Mount Lemmon record in Tucson? Its comical.

Under 12 would be a great goal. You have a suitable climb in mind?

I'm a sleeper as well. But, these Ultra distance events, draw me in for some reason. I've got the Tour Divide and Cape Epic next year, both are super difficult. Perhaps its "that feeling" ? You know it, its bringing yourself to the brink and beyond. Pushing yourself so deep into the pain cave that you successfully are able to remove your physical being from your mental being. Most don't understand the euphoric sense of satisfaction derived from beating back those demons telling you to stop.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Have you seen the big fight on Strava about the Mount Lemmon record in Tucson? Its comical.

Under 12 would be a great goal. You have a suitable climb in mind?

I'm a sleeper as well. But, these Ultra distance events, draw me in for some reason. I've got the Tour Divide and Cape Epic next year, both are super difficult. Perhaps its "that feeling" ? You know it, its bringing yourself to the brink and beyond. Pushing yourself so deep into the pain cave that you successfully are able to remove your physical being from your mental being. Most don't understand the euphoric sense of satisfaction derived from beating back those demons telling you to stop.

I don't use or go on Strava but maybe I should. haha

I always have liked pushing myself in to a dark hole. That's why I love time trialing so much. But that's an hour, not 24 hours a day 7 days a week. hahaha. Even an Everesting is only one day.

I do have a short climb near by. I would have to do it 130 times and total ride length would be 109 miles. 218 watts average would get me well I under 12 hours which is moving. 218 watts doesn't sound like a lot but for 12 hours it's fricken brutal! I'm so out of shape still. Did my hardest ride in some time Saturday morning and the first hour my NP was 261. I was cooked. haha. Amazing I did 351 watts for an hour at 160lbs just four years ago!

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I will never say never but I need to retire first so I can train properly. Its on the bucket list. So is learning to eat correctly. :)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I will never say never but I need to retire first so I can train properly. Its on the bucket list. So is learning to eat correctly. :)

I am still working full time myself. I have a CTS coaching program specifically designed for time crunched athletes. I get 10-12 hours on the bike a week but its all quality power work and endurance. I hear ya on the eating. I've learned what works, doesn't work. Nutrition/Hydration/Sleep.

If you're interested, PM me and I can give you details of their program. My (FTP) power has gone up nearly 50 watts in six months.

old rigger

Reaction score
I can’t imagine the kind of shape someone would have to be in to compete at that level. I’m a swimmer and do 3 miles a day but I’m not racing anyone.

My cousin who competes for fun in tri’s has a cousin, they’re both full blooded Italian, who is for lack of a better term, an extreme athlete. 2 years ago he did a decathon (?) 10 Iron Mans together. I followed his swim which was the English Channel and I think he did it in just under 24 hours. The currents took him way out off his course.
After that he did a bike race from Mexico to
Canada. I’ve never met him but my cousin said he’s built like a bull. Lives in Sicily and eats pasta all day long when not competing. lol

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I can’t imagine the kind of shape someone would have to be in to compete at that level. I’m a swimmer and do 3 miles a day but I’m not racing anyone.

My cousin who competes for fun in tri’s has a cousin, they’re both full blooded Italian, who is for lack of a better term, an extreme athlete. 2 years ago he did a decathon (?) 10 Iron Mans together. I followed his swim which was the English Channel and I think he did it in just under 24 hours. The currents took him way out off his course.
After that he did a bike race from Mexico to
Canada. I’ve never met him but my cousin said he’s built like a bull. Lives in Sicily and eats pasta all day long when not competing. lol

That Mexico-Canada race was likely the Tour Divide. You can go either direction. I went Banff- Mexico in 2014. I failed to complete after Achilles Tendon problems in Montana. Going back to complete in 2021.

There's a movie on Netflix called "Iron Cowboy" Its a documentary about a nut-job who does 50 Ironmans, in 50 States, in 50 days. I'm an endurance guy but this feat goes to show what the human body is actually capable of. Highly recommend watching it.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I was following the RAAM several years ago when I was riding a lot. Something I've always wanted to be a part of. I'll volunteer my wife and I with our 40ft 5th wheel toyhauler, for support in 2022.

Keep me posted if you're serious about this.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I was following the RAAM several years ago when I was riding a lot. Something I've always wanted to be a part of. I'll volunteer my wife and I with our 40ft 5th wheel toyhauler, for support in 2022.

Keep me posted if you're serious about this.

Yea, I'm serious. I have a few "maybes" in my close cycling circle. It's a huge commitment. Knowing you're serious about a support role makes it that much easier.

Thank you!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That Mexico-Canada race was likely the Tour Divide. You can go either direction. I went Banff- Mexico in 2014. I failed to complete after Achilles Tendon problems in Montana. Going back to complete in 2021.

There's a movie on Netflix called "Iron Cowboy" Its a documentary about a nut-job who does 50 Ironmans, in 50 States, in 50 days. I'm an endurance guy but this feat goes to show what the human body is actually capable of. Highly recommend watching it.

My mind is blown just thinking about that....50 Ironmans in 50 days?

Much less in 50 different states?

Mind blown!

fmo24

Reaction score
What type of rv chase. We full time but would be fun to support a team on a ride like this. Our Moho is not really user friendly on the road but opened up is quite roomy? Does Moho run out to designated stop or just some place to sleep and eat on road ?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What type of rv chase. We full time but would be fun to support a team on a ride like this. Our Moho is not really user friendly on the road but opened up is quite roomy? Does Moho run out to designated stop or just some place to sleep and eat on road ?

I believe most teams rent cheapy class c's. They're gonna get pretty hard use. This is a pretty complex event logistically. Chase RV/cars, food prep, sleep and hell only knows what else. I wouldn't want to use my own RV much less someone else's. That's all considering, needing a team and qualifying. :cool:

Mikes56

Reaction score
Yea, I'm serious. I have a few "maybes" in my close cycling circle. It's a huge commitment. Knowing you're serious about a support role makes it that much easier.

Thank you!
I'm retired and my wife will be by then, or she can take a few weeks off. We live in Santa Clarita, CA so we're not far away from Oceanside. I'll PM you my cell phone number so you have it.

A couple friends and I that were doing Century's a couple times a year, thought about putting a team tougher several years ago. Now we've gotten older, it's just too much for us. If you come up short and need a rider, one of the chicks I used to ride with is a freaking animal and might be interested.

Call me when you have a chance and tell me your plans.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I'm retired and my wife will be by then, or she can take a few weeks off. We live in Santa Clarita, CA so we're not far away from Oceanside. I'll PM you my cell phone number so you have it.

A couple friends and I that were doing Century's a couple times a year, thought about putting a team tougher several years ago. Now we've gotten older, it's just too much for us. If you come up short and need a rider, one of the chicks I used to ride with is a freaking animal and might be interested.

Call me when you have a chance and tell me your plans.

Ha! I've been "chicked" more than once. Riding with my coach is a humbling experience. She was the Marathon MTB national champion last year (or the year before?) Girls have some type of genetic edge in ultra distance athletics. There's been some studies on this exact thing

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I am still working full time myself. I have a CTS coaching program specifically designed for time crunched athletes. I get 10-12 hours on the bike a week but its all quality power work and endurance. I hear ya on the eating. I've learned what works, doesn't work. Nutrition/Hydration/Sleep.

If you're interested, PM me and I can give you details of their program. My (FTP) power has gone up nearly 50 watts in six months.

Man, that's a lot of hours. I was racing masters and pro 1-2 on well under 10 hours a week. Inwould ride that much if I had the time. Now we're back in southern Nevada Im tryong to get back over 6-8 hours a week. We go to the gym and hike and walk a lot too. I only have so much time unfortunately. Want to get MTBs and start in to that as well.