WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Race air/Parker pumpers

Socalx09

Reaction score
Added the race air boost dual to the RZR. It doesn’t feel like we have enough air flow going to the helmets. We have the PCI helmets that the hose is hooked up from the side. Our friends have the helmets that hook up from the top and seem happy with theirs.

Also, thinking it could be our windshield blocking airflow to the race air? Anyone running a windshield with their system? Really wanted to love it, but we used our open faced helmets the last few rides since it feels too hot with the closed faced helmet.

beerrun

Reaction score
Same problem for us don't feel like we are getting enough air

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Added the race air boost dual to the RZR. It doesn’t feel like we have enough air flow going to the helmets. We have the PCI helmets that the hose is hooked up from the side. Our friends have the helmets that hook up from the top and seem happy with theirs.

Also, thinking it could be our windshield blocking airflow to the race air? Anyone running a windshield with their system? Really wanted to love it, but we used our open faced helmets the last few rides since it feels too hot with the closed faced helmet.
Same problem for us don't feel like we are getting enough air
Are you guys using helmet skirts? Without helmet skirts you will never feel like you have enough air.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Use the skirt for sure. It is near useless without the skirt. The pumper should have no problem getting air behind the windshield. I ran mine behind the windshield.

This probably is no help now but the cheaper bilge blower style pumpers seem to move more air.

Run as few bends as possible and as short of hose as you can. Every bend will drop airflow to the helmet.

My blower is single speed, and my wife likes a little less air.. I just put a Z in her line.

Run the lightweight expandable hose too of you don’t already.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
From what I’ve been told, the side hose helmets don’t move air as well as the top hose. I have a 2 outlet Rugged MacAir with speed control, with top hose mount Bell Qualifiers. I usually run 3/4 speed, you feel the air, it’s not blasting- but it’s enough to keep the visors clear. At high speed, it gets pretty loud. I don’t notice a whole lot of difference if I’m riding alone with one side capped.

It works just fine with or without the skirt- but you get a little less dust with the skirt on. If I’m on a group ride that stops a lot I leave the skirt off.

I will say, it works great, it’s amazing how quick the filter gets full of dust. I wear contacts, and I don’t have any issues with dust or dry eyes like I do using goggles.

DLC

Reaction score
I use the S&B blower set up w/ qualifier helmet and I like no skirt on the helmet

The skirt seems to hold in heat from your body & minimizes air flow!

although the best set up is Head Phones / ear muff headsets! Plenty of air flow

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
From what I’ve been told, the side hose helmets don’t move air as well as the top hose. I have a 2 outlet Rugged MacAir with speed control, with top hose mount Bell Qualifiers. I usually run 3/4 speed, you feel the air, it’s not blasting- but it’s enough to keep the visors clear. At high speed, it gets pretty loud. I don’t notice a whole lot of difference if I’m riding alone with one side capped.

It works just fine with or without the skirt- but you get a little less dust with the skirt on. If I’m on a group ride that stops a lot I leave the skirt off.

I will say, it works great, it’s amazing how quick the filter gets full of dust. I wear contacts, and I don’t have any issues with dust or dry eyes like I do using goggles.

I think the side hose air setup is louder than the top hose as well.

I have the Bell helmet with top mounted air.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Most of these units aren't meant to be a helmet AC system, they are just supplying a slight positive pressure for the inside of the helmet that doesn't allow dust to get inside.

This also gives you a filtered pool of clean air to breathe from, as long as you keep the filter clean. The unit itself being behind a windshield would not affect anything.

With regards to temperature, when you are going slow flip your visor up. Take that opportunity to grab your visor rag and wipe the dust off, and then when speeds pick up flip it back down. This is the same thing that we do whether in the race car or the side by side.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Are you guys using helmet skirts? Without helmet skirts you will never feel like you have enough air.
Yes, we have the helmet skirts.

Use the skirt for sure. It is near useless without the skirt. The pumper should have no problem getting air behind the windshield. I ran mine behind the windshield.

This probably is no help now but the cheaper bilge blower style pumpers seem to move more air.

Run as few bends as possible and as short of hose as you can. Every bend will drop airflow to the helmet.

My blower is single speed, and my wife likes a little less air.. I just put a Z in her line.

Run the lightweight expandable hose too of you don’t already.

I think the side hose air setup is louder than the top hose as well.

I have the Bell helmet with top mounted air.

We have ours on the middle bar of the 4 seater with the 4ft hose. We actually were going to move it all the way back for more airflow, but since the windshield isn’t a problem and that creates a longer run, we won’t. It is really loud! I’m thinking the top mounted air might have better flow. We did get the regular race air by pci and not the better models.

From what our friend says about his top mounted air, and the comments here, I’m beginning to think we should have went with the top mounted helmets for a little better flow. We mainly got them for my skin disease issues so I was protected. They definitely work great at protecting us from the elements, but I am getting overheated in it. You can barely feel the flow across your mouth and the visors sometimes do get fogged up. I will check if maybe a pad is blocking the airflow portion of it.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Is your filter clean??
It’s only been on two trips to Glamis, so I’m assuming yes, but will check that in the morning.

Most of these units aren't meant to be a helmet AC system, they are just supplying a slight positive pressure for the inside of the helmet that doesn't allow dust to get inside.

This also gives you a filtered pool of clean air to breathe from, as long as you keep the filter clean. The unit itself being behind a windshield would not affect anything.

With regards to temperature, when you are going slow flip your visor up. Take that opportunity to grab your visor rag and wipe the dust off, and then when speeds pick up flip it back down. This is the same thing that we do whether in the race car or the side by side.
Gotcha. I was thinking it would be ambient temperature or close to with regards to the airflow. Maybe one of the pads is blocking the airflow a bit since the helmet visors do get fogged up sometimes and we have to lift it up. Or, the side mount really isn’t the way to go since it feels like it blows across your mouth, instead of down your face. Will definitely take your advice on flipping the visor up on slow speeds to wipe off the dust. We wanted the clean air and to protect my skin better. Just didn’t do much research before we brought the system and helmets.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes, we have the helmet skirts.

We have ours on the middle bar of the 4 seater with the 4ft hose. We actually were going to move it all the way back for more airflow, but since the windshield isn’t a problem and that creates a longer run, we won’t. It is really loud! I’m thinking the top mounted air might have better flow. We did get the regular race air by pci and not the better models.

From what our friend says about his top mounted air, and the comments here, I’m beginning to think we should have went with the top mounted helmets for a little better flow. We mainly got them for my skin disease issues so I was protected. They definitely work great at protecting us from the elements, but I am getting overheated in it. You can barely feel the flow across your mouth and the visors sometimes do get fogged up. I will check if maybe a pad is blocking the airflow portion of it.

Try it on the back bar to experiment.. it will be a straighter shot with fewer bends, that could help.

Dunerking

Reaction score
I’m also running the Bell Qualifers with the Top hose mount and skirt and very happy with the air flow.
Side note I’ve a small Bell qualifier with the top hose mount and skirt for sale in great condition if anyone is looking .