WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Radiator Leak on Seneca

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Got home from work last night and the wife told me there was some fluid coming from the engine area of the motorhome. I keep it stored on the side of my house. My last trip was 2 weeks ago when I went to King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley. This was only about a 200 mile round trip and I was not towing anything.

I went outside to inspect and sure enough there is a small amount of radiator fluid on the ground under the driver's side. I inspect and the fluid appears to be coming from the area of the driver's side bottom corner of the radiator. I pulled all of the rubber shroud from around the radiator see if I could determine where the leak was coming from and still could not determine the source.

I know there were problems with the the radiator in the medium-duty Kodiak's this generation. I bought the motorhome used from a RV Dealer and purchased a bumper to bumper 3/36 mile warranty (I know probably waist of money but I wanted a little piece of mind buying used) that I am thinking about using. Not sure if they will cover it but i'm hoping they will.

The previous owner left his receipts in the coach and it shows he replaced the radiator in 4/18 at Lake Chevrolet (Lake Elsinore) and I bought it in 11/18. This was done at a local GM dealer.

Were these radiator's (GM) that flawed that they would only last a few years? If I replace, i'm going to be hesitant going with another OEM part?

Anyone have a similar issue with the older Senecas?

c_land

Reaction score
Got home from work last night and the wife told me there was some fluid coming from the engine area of the motorhome. I keep it stored on the side of my house. My last trip was 2 weeks ago when I went to King of the Hammers in Johnson Valley. This was only about a 200 mile round trip and I was not towing anything.

I went outside to inspect and sure enough there is a small amount of radiator fluid on the ground under the driver's side. I inspect and the fluid appears to be coming from the area of the driver's side bottom corner of the radiator. I pulled all of the rubber shroud from around the radiator see if I could determine where the leak was coming from and still could not determine the source.

I know there were problems with the the radiator in the medium-duty Kodiak's this generation. I bought the motorhome used from a RV Dealer and purchased a bumper to bumper 3/36 mile warranty (I know probably waist of money but I wanted a little piece of mind buying used) that I am thinking about using. Not sure if they will cover it but i'm hoping they will.

The previous owner left his receipts in the coach and it shows he replaced the radiator in 4/18 at Lake Chevrolet (Lake Elsinore) and I bought it in 11/18. This was done at a local GM dealer.

Were these radiator's (GM) that flawed that they would only last a few years? If I replace, i'm going to be hesitant going with another OEM part?

Use that warranty you paid for. 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Who knows what they replaced it with, and who know what might be available for a MH. You might have to have something custom built, to get a real dependable unit?

These guys would always be my first choice to have something custom built: https://the-fan-man.com/

Beerme

Reaction score
Who knows what they replaced it with, and who know what might be available for a MH. You might have to have something custom built, to get a real dependable unit?

These guys would always be my first choice to have something custom built: https://the-fan-man.com/
I have the receipt from the replacement and it shows GM OEM radiator. But I think that was the problem, apparently there were known flaws in the crimps on these things. I read one Motorhome thread where the guy replaced the Radiator three times. I'm going to see what the Warranty does and go from there. If it happens again I appreciate the link you mentioned. Those are some bad ass radiators. May be an option as I plan to have this MH for several years and going to start traveling the US at the end of the year.

Beerme

Reaction score
Got on Mike Thompson RV's (Colton) website on Friday morning. Alert comes up that says due to the impacts of Covid they are experiencing unprecedented volume increases, limited employee availability, delays in the supply chain of parts and delivery time frames, we appreciate your patience 😂 Used the online Chat. "MIKE" was extremely helpful and took my email and phone number and told me service would be in touch. I waited until Friday evening and never heard back. I went online and filled out their form to schedule service. No call Monday, no call Tuesday, no call Wednesday:mad: I go on their website again and chat. "Oh, sorry sir can you confirm the information we have for you and did you check your spam" yes that is it and yes I did. They say they will have someone contact me😂

This is exactly what @RiverDave was talking about with these businesses not giving two shits about customers because they are so busy. I realize my appointment could be months out, but all I expected was a phone call the same day, but that is too ambitious on my part.

Called Colton Truck and RV yesterday, talked to someone right away who confirmed they would take my extended warranty. Scheduled me an appointment for March 9😁 I've heard good things about this place so I'm hoping they get me back rolling.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Got on Mike Thompson RV's (Colton) website on Friday morning. Alert comes up that says due to the impacts of Covid they are experiencing unprecedented volume increases, limited employee availability, delays in the supply chain of parts and delivery time frames, we appreciate your patience 😂 Used the online Chat. "MIKE" was extremely helpful and took my email and phone number and told me service would be in touch. I waited until Friday evening and never heard back. I went online and filled out their form to schedule service. No call Monday, no call Tuesday, no call Wednesday:mad: I go on their website again and chat. "Oh, sorry sir can you confirm the information we have for you and did you check your spam" yes that is it and yes I did. They say they will have someone contact me😂

This is exactly what @RiverDave was talking about with these businesses not giving two shits about customers because they are so busy. I realize my appointment could be months out, but all I expected was a phone call the same day, but that is too ambitious on my part.

Called Colton Truck and RV yesterday, talked to someone right away who confirmed they would take my extended warranty. Scheduled me an appointment for March 9😁 I've heard good things about this place so I'm hoping they get me back rolling.

you won’t be disappointed with Colton truck and rv they do amazing work!!

Beerme

Reaction score
you won’t be disappointed with Colton truck and rv they do amazing work!!
Dropped it off with them today. Ed checked me in. What a professional business. Was thoroughly impressed with their check in process and also the product they were working on. From fire trucks to bad ass pushers.

Beerme

Reaction score
Got a call back yesterday. They could not reproduce it:oops: They told me they initially thought, especially from my description, that it was a cold leak. They put it in the lot and waited and nothing. They then took it for a drive, got it up to temp, and nothing. Bummer! This notorious leak is described all over the Jayco forum as being hard to track down, but the radiator has a known flaw at the crimp. They were super cool about it and I have confidence in their abilities. Shit, they had some serious machinery (pushers, fire engines, you name it) on their lot. They did not want to charge me so I kicked them some cash for lunch because I will definitely use this place again. Heading out to Ocotillo in a couple weeks so I guess I'll pick up a couple gallons of premixed coolant and keep them in the coach.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Got a call back yesterday. They could not reproduce it:oops: They told me they initially thought, especially from my description, that it was a cold leak. They put it in the lot and waited and nothing. They then took it for a drive, got it up to temp, and nothing. Bummer! This notorious leak is described all over the Jayco forum as being hard to track down, but the radiator has a known flaw at the crimp. They were super cool about it and I have confidence in their abilities. Shit, they had some serious machinery (pushers, fire engines, you name it) on their lot. They did not want to charge me so I kicked them some cash for lunch because I will definitely use this place again. Heading out to Ocotillo in a couple weeks so I guess I'll pick up a couple gallons of premixed coolant and keep them in the coach.

Order yourself some dye and a blacklight. Works every time.

(These are just examples of what I'm talking about. I've never used these particular products!)

Make sure to get some yellow tinted safety glasses too.

Beerme

Reaction score

Beerme

Reaction score
Update. I brought it home and parked it on the side of the house. Put a bucket underneath the area of the leak. After about 5 days, sure enough, about an ounce of radiator fluid in the bucket :oops: It is in the same area (driver's side bottom). Fuck! I cleaned bucket and nothing since then. So my last few desert trips were cancelled so I just went with the wife to Santa Barbara this weekend for my nephews wedding. I pulled it out and ran to the gas station to top off. As I was filling I decided to check it. It was dripping :mad: Shit! Went through O'Reilly and got two gallons of Dexcool. Fuck it, i'm hitting the road. Drove all the way up to Santa Barbara (161 miles one way) and get parked. Not a single drip all weekend. Wife and I had a great weekend with our 5 dogs. Went to a great bar the first night called the Uptown Lounge. Great food and live music. They did a meat pizza with tri-tip on it that was bomb! As always sported my RDP swag! Drove home and still not a single drop as of today🤔
Santa Barbara.jpg