WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rained aircraft parts today

caribbean20

Reaction score
Minding my own business and heard a loud boom, like a plane going supersonic, and a jet under full throttle. Didn’t think much about it until we got the emergency call from local PD to report any engine parts laying around in the yard that weren’t there an hour ago.

It was UA 328 bound for Hawaii that blew up an engine real good and returned safely to DIA. Kudos to those pro pilots.
38842C2D-7F64-4776-8F84-4E343B9AFBE4.jpeg

Carry on.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Makes you think that the airlines are rusty. Being put away for so long both pilot and planes have to be a bit rusty.

RichL

Reaction score
Just saw the story on this on the Cleveland news a little bit ago.

77hallett

Reaction score
Makes you think that the airlines are rusty. Being put away for so long both pilot and planes have to be a bit rusty.
They still have to stay current with different types of approaches and landings. The simulators weren’t shut down and still operational. The aircraft themselves have their maintenance done according to hours flown, which is the only preventative maintenance done. The rest is fix it when it breaks. These things are bound to happen. Just so happened to be today.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Just like breaking bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Minding my own business and heard a loud boom, like a plane going supersonic, and a jet under full throttle. Didn’t think much about it until we got the emergency call from local PD to report any engine parts laying around in the yard that weren’t there an hour ago.

It was UA 328 bound for Hawaii that blew up an engine real good and returned safely to DIA. Kudos to those pro pilots.

Carry on.

One of my buddies' mom was on the last hawaii bound united flight that popped an engine. I think it was a 757 around 3 years ago. She took a video...2 hours of violent shaking till they landed. She didn't fly for almost a year after that. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant on board.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, plane to Hawaii and parts dropped in Broomfield. That is where our son lived. :eek:

caribbean20

Reaction score
Listened to the Mayday call from 328. Pilot calmly requested “do you mind if we return directly to the airport, we lost an engine,” as a husk of metal on fire was dangling from the wing. Man those guys are calm under pressure. Truly impressive!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Listened to the Mayday call from 328. Pilot calmly requested “do you mind if we return directly to the airport, we lost an engine,” as a husk of metal on fire was dangling from the wing. Man those guys are calm under pressure. Truly impressive!

There's a Video from a passenger of the engine on fire, and I mean ON FIRE!!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wow. I dont like flying at all and that would seal the deal if i was on board.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score

It was UA 328 bound for Hawaii that blew up an engine real good and returned safely to DIA. Kudos to those pro pilots. View attachment 974857

Carry on.
Is this your house ? WOW

caribbean20

Reaction score
Is this your house ? WOW
No, that house is about a mile away. The engine cowling scored a direct hit on a pickup truck, caved it in and bounced off. Another guy needs a roof as he now has a new skylight. Parts scattered all over the area. Streets are closed as PD and NTSB are scouring the area, but nothing in our neighborhood, just police helos doing recon.

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
No, that house is about a mile away. The engine cowling scored a direct hit on a pickup truck and bounced off. Another guy needs a roof as he now has a new skylight. Parts scattered all over the area. Streets are closed as PD and TSA are scouring the area, but nothing in our neighborhood, just police helos doing recon.
WOW free United flights for life 😫

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Pilots should be paid more😉

They use to make a lot. After deregulation, not as much. The new guys don’t make anything like the old guys use to, Wages were starting to creep up. Covid screwed all that up. Unless you fly for UPS or FedEx, lot of laid of pilots.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
They use to make a lot. After deregulation, not as much. The new guys don’t make anything like the old guys use to, Wages were starting to creep up. Covid screwed all that up. Unless you fly for UPS or FedEx, lot of laid of pilots.
I heard they don’t get paid unless they are in the air ? True - false ?

Universal Elements

Reaction score

That’s where the training come in. Hours and hours of emergency procedures. A pilot doesn’t panic, they are too busy communicating and going through emergency checklists. I remember this one very well. I was overseas when it happened. Even though it’s in Japanese, you can hear by their voices - they were trying everything to come down in one piece.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Info from an American Airlines pilot...

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Uncontained failures of turbofan engines are very rare. Usually a fan disk fracture or fan blades separating from the disk causes them. That's the part you can see going spinny in the front of the engine. I forget how many tons of centrifugal force are on the fan disk at takeoff thrust, but it's a lot.

A fan disk failure is what caused United 232 to crash while attempting to land at Sioux City in 1989, and fan blade fracture caused the uncontained failure on Southwest 1380 in 2018, killing a passenger.

Usually failed parts are contained because the front portion of the surrounding nacelle has a ballistic shield made from kevlar and aramid. It's the brown tarp looking material you see in this video of the engine. The parts burning are the thrust reverser grids. They're made from carbon resin compounds, and this fire probably began with burning hydraulic fluid or engine oil, as the fuel valve is always closed immediately upon an engine failure.

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
🤔 get a lawyer his wife would have if it went south , it was about as south as I wanted to go . That was close real close ☹️

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

They still do OK... Hopefully these guys get a set of steak knives or something for the effort.