WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rally on the Rocks 2017...Anyone going?

j-bone

Reaction score
I know it's boating season, but are any RDP'ers going. Can't wait. First time to Moab with guides for 5 days of off roading with the RZR.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We've done it, it's great we're going back in August.
Dunno if they still do it but a lot of the restaurants threw a free breakfast every morning. That may have been to jump start the event at the beginning but it was really cool.

The NGS map of the trails is what most use and sold everywhere and its 16 years out of date BTW.
There are more trails, some names have changed, some have been added and landmarks may be missing on the map.

The only advise I can give is have a GPS and try to keep an eye on landmarks to keep yourself oriented. We key off Monitor and Merrimack Buttes.
It's way bigger and way slower travel than you may think.

My iphone maps worked better than my GPS. Damfino why.

The only bar worth a damn is Eddie McStiffs, all the others have goofy Blue Law restrictions. Ridiculous ABC rules. The new Utah liker laws only apply to new licenses. Old licenses still operate under the old strict rules. Your left thumb has to be up your ass every time you do a shot. No KY.
We were told their was some legislation brewing to loosen up the ABC on premises consumption rules, dunno if that passed bu now.
The beer at the store is 2.8 to 3.2.

Big Guns and I murdered 6 cans of Coors light in 15 minutes and didn't even feel a Buzz. It's why most beer sold in Moab is 16 OZ.

We love Pasta Jays Italian restaurant.
IMG_1023.jpg

I've never seen so many beautiful women in one town in my life. It's like Aspen cleared out and they came to Moab for the summer.

The LEOs leave Rzrs alone driving on the street if you're not to far outta whack behavior.

The trail behind us is compressed the picture. It's way steep. Sometimes you're straight up and sometimes straight down. Hairy!
IMG_1022.jpg
Notice the white dots in the middle of the trail.
Really helpful. My suspension is bone stock and we never once bottomed out nor scraped.
IMG_1019.jpg

When we off road the wife likes to go way, way out to no mans land. We head to Jerusalem via Honolulu.
At our RV park you can leave your name in the office and the trail you're going on and if you're not back within an hour of your set time they will come out and look for you and tow you back.

j-bone

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's my first time going to Moab. Really looking forward to seeing all the cool trails. During the 5 days, we are doing Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider, Gold Bar/Gold Spike, Moab Rim and Behind the Rocks.

We'll hit up that bar for sure.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Two girls were killed here the day before so Lions Back was temp bypassed until they figured out what happened.
Most the really risky runs have bypass trails.
attachment-image-84001b3f-8f72-4cc6-bdd9-ff25afa45b51.jpg

We really liked Eklecticafe. Everything scratched cooked. Really good.
If you see the line at - or - out the door that means an easy hour wait for a table.

eklecticafe.jpg

banana-pancakes.jpg

eklecticafe.jpg

o.jpg

348s.jpg

Huevos Rancheros

Arches Nat Park entrance is right there in town. Drive thru was normally $18. In the mid afternoon the line vanishes, the fee booth closes and you proceed for free. Best time is around sunset.
_DSC7598.jpg

Wife downloaded a FREE self-guiding audio tour on her cell. Then you play it through your vehicle Bluetooth or playback on the phone. Pretty cool.

attachment-image-5791c5e6-a6b9-42f5-bc2d-77ff26bb30db.jpg

balancing-arches-moab-1600x1067.jpg

If our Rzr XPT does anything good it's one hell of a rock crawler. It's all about if you have the Huevos, it'll make it.

Taboma

Reaction score
Diggin the info --- it's on my bucket list. Neighbors were there last week, said the place was jammed with more people, rzrs etc than Havasu during Balloon Fest !!!

Is there a season when it's not so packed but still fairly comfy weather ?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Diggin the info --- it's on my bucket list. Neighbors were there last week, said the place was jammed with more people, rzrs etc than Havasu during Balloon Fest !!!

Is there a season when it's not so packed but still fairly comfy weather ?

The trick is book the RV park way in advance. They shut down in winter so spring or fall when school is in session is ideal.
Their is a cheap pay BLM RV camping area there too BTW. It's called Parking Lot: https://freecampsites.net/#!106598&query=sitedetails
The other BLM camping is either walk-in or RV length is limited.

Like Glamis once you get on the trails everyone is pretty dispersed.
Not bad except for that unprepared ride you encounter that is stuck, dead in the water that has no tire repair nor spare belt provisions.
It's a long ass way to tow someone and it gets pretty treacherous. Roll with a group if you can.
You are really way, way out there.

Rally on the Rocks has organized, guided rides and assistance for those that break down. Polaris was there one year and gave out some cool stuff.

Hells Revenge Trail and similar is fine but some people take the steep parts like Lions Back way to fast and come flying over the top downhill - while you're climbing and you're 3/4 of the way up is the warnings we hear.
lions-back-photo-when-you-could-still-drive-on-it-stayton.jpg

SO:
If they hit you it's going to suck. Like two billiard balls going into the side pockets.
We waited for a Jeep club to go up, they usually have a spotter(s) and that's the key and we followed as did others.

Make sure your drive belt is healthy so you don't find yourself backing down some MFSOB brutal climb.

overtime

Boobs we all love um
Reaction score
Pritchett Canyon. ... is really challenging we did it on our ktm's razor would be lots of fun.

Reaction score
I leave from Havasu Friday, head to San Diego to drop off the dog at my parents, Ontario at 6am to get in the motorhome and we will be headed out. Monday is set up and then it begins. This is my first year, Im excited to be out there. Swing by the SXS Trailer and say hello. We have some cool things going on for the event.

Kyle

Taboma

Reaction score
The trick is book the RV park way in advance. They shut down in winter so spring or fall when school is in session is ideal.
Their is a cheap pay BLM RV camping area there too BTW. It's called Parking Lot: https://freecampsites.net/#!106598&query=sitedetails
The other BLM camping is either walk-in or RV length is limited.

Like Glamis once you get on the trails everyone is pretty dispersed.
Not bad except for that unprepared ride you encounter that is stuck, dead in the water that has no tire repair nor spare belt provisions.
It's a long ass way to tow someone and it gets pretty treacherous. Roll with a group if you can.
You are really way, way out there.

Hells Revenge and similar is fine but some people take it way to fast and come flying over the top while you're climbing and 3/4 of the way up is the warnings we hear. SO:
If they hit you it's going to suck. Like two billiard balls going into the side pockets.
We waited for a Jeep club to go up, they usually have a spotter(s) and that's the key and we followed as did others.

Thanks !! With my wife along as my co-pilot, we'd be opting for the Beginner's routes, if I put her on Hell's Revenge, it's unlikely I'd survive even if the Rzr could :yikes

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We heading back August, July it's Marysvale with the Dumont Dunes group run.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to this last year on assignment for UTVUnderground. Amazing event in an amazing place. You'll have a blast.

j-bone

Reaction score
I leave from Havasu Friday, head to San Diego to drop off the dog at my parents, Ontario at 6am to get in the motorhome and we will be headed out. Monday is set up and then it begins. This is my first year, Im excited to be out there. Swing by the SXS Trailer and say hello. We have some cool things going on for the event.

Kyle

Will do. See you there.

j-bone

Reaction score
I went to this last year on assignment for UTVUnderground. Amazing event in an amazing place. You'll have a blast.

Glad to hear that. I'm really looking forward to it.