WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RAM TRX vs. Raptor

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Curious as to how they compare off-road. No doubt the Dodge has some giddy up.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with some low range rock crawling that’s for sure. 👍. And your right, in that situation, 700 hp would just break shit FASTER ! Lol.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I’ve off roaded my Raptors plenty and they have been the best stock factory trucks ever sold for higher speed off roading. And I’ve taken them all over Death Valley and on many Jeep trails. Except for desert pinstriping, they’ve always conquered the trails I’ve done (no Rubicon trails though 😁).

Obviously, the faster you go the faster you can get into serious trouble. Nothing like high-speed driving off road to get you and your truck into problems really quickly that’s why pre-running trails before tearing them up is a good plan.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Won’t the 2021 Raptor gave the 760HP GT500 motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBT531

Reaction score
If it was 1/2 of the actual MSRP, it would be a cool truck

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

First, the figures. Powering the outgoing F-150 Raptor is a 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 that delivers 450 hp and is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission. By comparison, the 6.2-liter supercharged V8 of the TRX is rated at 702 hp and is coupled to an eight-speed automatic.

Seems like 2 very comparable were used.

:rolleyes:

lavey jr

Reaction score
Not so sure about that. 700 hp in the Dunes sounds about right for a heavy ass truck. Oh and 800-900 in a trophy truck is bad ass ! Just saying.

Exactly. 700hp in a truck like that is perfect! Just because you have 700hp doesn’t mean you need to use it all in every offroad condition. But when the time comes that you need it for the terrain you’re in, it’s better that you have it rather than wishing you do.
800-900hp in a trophy truck is pretty normal. My friend has a trophy truck that is AWD and twin turbo. Makes 1100hp to the wheels with 42” tires and can be turned up to 1800hp with the turn of a dial!

Either way to stay on topic... I’d rather have the Raptor. How many legit offroad vehicles has Fiat produced? I’d be willing to bet not very many but I’m not really sure.

WYRD

Reaction score
Exactly. 700hp in a truck like that is perfect! Just because you have 700hp doesn’t mean you need to use it all in every offroad condition. But when the time comes that you need it for the terrain you’re in, it’s better that you have it rather than wishing you do.
800-900hp in a trophy truck is pretty normal. My friend has a trophy truck that is AWD and twin turbo. Makes 1100hp to the wheels with 42” tires and can be turned up to 1800hp with the turn of a dial!

Either way to stay on topic... I’d rather have the Raptor. How many legit offroad vehicles has Fiat produced? I’d be willing to bet not very many but I’m not really sure.
They make this one called a jeep.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

All the top trophy trucks are over 1000 hp now. 800-900 hp is a thing of the past

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The older I get, the more I value suspension and a cushy ride over power.

What I really want to see is a comparison in off-road-worthiness. I suspect Ford will have the edge, since the Raptor is coming up on 3 generations of refinement.

Plus I just don’t trust FCA so I’m biased. I think Fiat squired the last penny of profitability from Chrysler and left them with severe budgetary restraints for product development...but that’s really neither here nor there, and just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
So you are telling me a truck with an extra 250hp is faster...lol

500hp is a good number for a street driven offroad truck. 700hp is dumb when its limited to 112 mph but i'm not knocking a proven engine that costs them pennys to produce at this point and a company willing to push the envelope.

Competition is a good thing. If they could offer the same suspension with the standard 400hp hemi for 65k I think a bunch of people would buy.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So you are telling me a truck with an extra 250hp is faster...lol

500hp is a good number for a street driven offroad truck. 700hp is dumb when its limited to 112 mph but i'm not knocking a proven engine that costs them pennys to produce at this point and a company willing to push the envelope.

Competition is a good thing. If they could offer the same suspension with the standard 400hp hemi for 65k I think a bunch of people would buy.

Yep. The pentastar V6 costs more to produce than a supercharged Hellcat engine :)

hawgty55

Reaction score
They had one at Cowboy Christmas. Very similar to the Raptor and style
20201212_180513.jpg

baja-chris

Reaction score
There are several things Ford could do to make the Raptor better but more power is pretty low on my list. The present trade off of power / economy / range is a great balance. The truck needs a faster steering ratio. It needs a bit more ground clearance and it needs 37” tires stock. And the shift points in Baja mode are just stupid high. Unless the TRX has better high speed suspension and chassis dynamics, the extra power is a waste except on pavement or the dooms.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
There are several things Ford could do to make the Raptor better but more power is pretty low on my list. The present trade off of power / economy / range is a great balance. The truck needs a faster steering ratio. It needs a bit more ground clearance and it needs 37” tires stock. And the shift points in Baja mode are just stupid high. Unless the TRX has better high speed suspension and chassis dynamics, the extra power is a waste except on pavement or the dooms.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Pretty much nailed it- I have a 2017 Raptor and agree the steering ratio is far to slow, and the trans programing could be improved (might be in later years?). I'm OK with 35's, but it would be nice to be able to fit 37's without modifications. I have few complaints, its a great daily driver. 700hp would just get me in more trouble.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I would never buy either one of those. Not many people buy those to off road. Because not many people off road there daily drivers. Well except for people who own Jeeps I noticed.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
I would never buy either one of those. Not many people buy those to off road. Because not many people off road there daily drivers. Well except for people who own Jeeps I noticed.
I do use my Jeep more often for offroading, but my Raptor does get used other that daily, mostly for prerunning, or when we are in the desert. Mine has pinstripes :)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
at risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, the TRX really doesn't do it for me. I don't have much interest in a vehicle that is half pickup, half dragster, half prerunner (that adds up right) but doesn't necessarily do any of those 3 things all that well.

charred1

Reaction score
Pretty much nailed it- I have a 2017 Raptor and agree the steering ratio is far to slow, and the trans programing could be improved (might be in later years?). I'm OK with 35's, but it would be nice to be able to fit 37's without modifications. I have few complaints, its a great daily driver. 700hp would just get me in more trouble.
6D683595-4060-4FBE-8A15-79452682803D.jpeg

37’s...no modifications...just saying.