WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Random Thoughts while..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just like everyone else I always have these big plans for the week, and they end up getting side tracked because of “life.”

Kids school got shut down a little while ago for two weeks because of a covid outbreak..

I am different than most I suppose, I look back on last year as the year I got to spend the most time with my kids than I likely will ever again. My little lunch crew has been just about everywhere in this town and they know which restaurants have the crayons and love their coloring contests..

The homeschooling is enough to make ya want to eat a bullet, but that can be overcome with positive reinforcement.. doesn’t work for adults that well as a motivator but you’d be surprised what a kid will do for a “gold star” or a happy face on a progress chart.. lol.

All of this aside from the actual point. I have always been a serial entrepreneur. I just can’t help myself. Today My whole day got sidetracked with the kids and running some errands.. not a huge deal to me because I can work anytime from anywhere. I got to thinking if I was living in so cal Abd lost my job.. you could make 120-150.00 an hour pretty quick.

Tell your friends to drop six to eight kids off at the house and do the home schooling thing or help the kids with their home work packets for 15.00 each.. ten kids would be pretty manageable in a study hall type environment. Couple fold out tables in the garage and white boards.

Not only would ya get to throw some conservative values in there, but probably make a pretty decent impact on some of these kids lives.

Day cares are pretty highly regulated.. study halls? I don’t believe there’s any regs...

Random thought from earlier today.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So now we come to the random thought of the night.. about time to get to work approving accounts going through the G&A requests etc..

My whole desk area isn’t clean.. sand on the ground from offroad shit.. stuff everywhere from having a couple small parties in the garage over the weekend. Need to clean it up before I can work.. no problem.

That starts with breaking down boxes taking out the trash.. little shit. Two hours later. Clean up the desk. Now I just gotta vacuum. I grab the vacuum and here we flipping go..

EAA1891E-0044-459F-BB88-8F9CBDCAF7F8.jpeg

so twenty minutes later I finally got this
C3ADA9E0-0CF0-4D3E-8D6A-A8DE26DAAA02.jpeg

and a vacuum that the rollers work on.. lol.
Is it just me that shit shit happens too non stop?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Remember the old RD, who said life wasn't gonna change no matter what?

Welcome to life Dave. Where the fun never ends. Ever!!!

I reflect on when my kids were your kids age and wonder how in the hell did I do it all? I seriously have no clue...

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
When I used to lay carpet, I found the average vacuum to be abused beyond what the engineers envisioned. When the customers broke them out for their first learning session of how a vacuum actually works, I had to put on my game face and be very polite..
That was when I actually gave a fuck. I learned over the years. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm going to edit this and say check the cord. It is hard to believe but a beater bar eats through a vacuum cord like a mill through aluminum.
I suggest black tape, yelling, begging and eventually just buying a new cord. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I ran down to the liquor store... well to grab some liquor and lottery tickets. Lol

82EB0970-B051-492C-836A-EAEEF69B7C4D.jpeg

M’er F’er it never ends.. I was gonna park that tonight but I guess tomorrow we will be rewiring the trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
wiggle the 7 pin around

it has been an intermittent problem for the last year.. works for six months.. doesn’t work for a day or two. Works for god knows how long.

the last time it did it I dropped it off at adrenaline and said fix it. Apparently they didn’t

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
So now we come to the random thought of the night.. about time to get to work approving accounts going through the G&A requests etc..

My whole desk area isn’t clean.. sand on the ground from offroad shit.. stuff everywhere from having a couple small parties in the garage over the weekend. Need to clean it up before I can work.. no problem.

That starts with breaking down boxes taking out the trash.. little shit. Two hours later. Clean up the desk. Now I just gotta vacuum. I grab the vacuum and here we flipping go..

View attachment 963348
View attachment 963349

Vacuums Suck! 🤣

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Every time I touch the wife's vacuum that's about what it looks like. I just did one the other night for her.

propcheck

Reaction score
I feel your vacuum pain we have two in the house and both look like that on a monthly basis but it is long hair wrapped around the bar

Singleton

Reaction score
it has been an intermittent problem for the last year.. works for six months.. doesn’t work for a day or two. Works for god knows how long.

the last time it did it I dropped it off at adrenaline and said fix it. Apparently they didn’t

that old saying comes to mind “of you want it done right, do it yourself”

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 963348
View attachment 963349
Looks like someone has a chick with dreds on the side

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Random thought before the kids break for recess and lunch.. can home schooling make your hair turn grey overnight??
I’m thinking yes.

12973382-1E5E-4D5E-9A85-982DFAB9B5CF.jpeg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Random thought before the kids break for recess and lunch.. can home schooling make your hair turn grey overnight??
I’m thinking yes.

View attachment 963560
Dave, from that picture, I think grey is only half the problem. There is a lot or real estate between the eyes and hair. Of course this is also ignoring the density thing that might also be an issue...... 😈

Hey you asked for opinions.......

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I’m thinking yes.

View attachment 963560
Grey hair is least of issues with sustained home schooling I hear.... one of my buddies wives had to be pulled off their 13 yr old daughter... had kid up against the fridge with forearm to throat... knowing that girl she fully deserved it though lol... definitely hearing about some elevated parent behaviors goin on

500bbc

Reaction score
Vacuum, stopped sucking, cleaned massive wads of dog hair out of it. Didn't fix it, tired of fucking with it and took it in for repair.

Had a pair of pantie's stuck in it beyond where I reached.:D

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, from that picture, I think grey is only half the problem. There is a lot or real estate between the eyes and hair. Of course this is also ignoring the density thing that might also be an issue...... 😈

Hey you asked for opinions.......

I'm using that Nioxin shit, but the only thing growing hair is my palms!! I'm not sure it's from the Nioxin.. :D

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So Random thought I just had... (Which I'm just going to use this thread for these philosophical and sometimes dumb thoughts).

Do you think we are teaching our kids the right shit?

Kids are going to learn what they learn in school.. They are going to learn math, history, English etc.. But a large part of their education in life comes from the home, if nothing else by being around their parents. I'm actively teaching my kids everyday.. Stupid things like how tie downs work, and making them tie down their quads and untie them etc..

My dad taught me all kinds of shit, even the basics of machining. The one thing he taught me that I'm forever grateful for though is the ability to see outside the box, and solve just about any problem that comes my way. Strangely I get a lot of people (both local and non local) asking me what I think of new business ideas, or where they should go in the future with the chips they have on the table. I rather enjoy it to be honest, and have never charged for that advice even when it has become wildly successful for a few.

Getting off the topic of the thought though.. The one thing my parents never taught me about was money. Never learned about savings accounts, investing, 401K's.. you name it, I dunno shit about it. My biggest saving grace that I have always had in my life goes back to the seeing outside the box thing. Money was never a big deal to me because if I needed more of it, I'd just go out and get more of it. I've worked for myself since my mid 20's and have always had that thought process. (I.E. Like I said above with the tutoring thing.. In the middle of a pandemic I figured a pretty quick and what I'd consider a relatively easy way to pull 100-120 an hour, and that could end up booming into quite the little business if you did it right and ended up franchising it etc..)

I had a long time friend Jonathan and rdp member @C-Ya give me some career advice over 20 years ago, that I really fucking wish I woulda listened too.. LOL. He was telling me over and over for 20 years what to do to actually make money, and weirdly 17 years later we kinda fumble fucked our way into it and sure as shit he was right.

So I'm sitting here thinking about my kids, and they are all under 10 years old, but they have virtually no concept of money. I'm wondering if I'm going to end up putting too much time into teaching them things like machining, wrenching, networking etc... and too little time teaching them the value of money, how to get it, why you should save it, how to invest it (which I'm the worst at, but learning) etc..

Do you teach your kids about money?

RD

Halvecto

Reaction score

I've got a buggy ground-prong on a few trailer running lights that is oddly sensitive right after I have checked it for the fourth time and pull onto the freeway. I think some of the aluminum pieces get dirt or corroded and it's a guess when they will work.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I start every day with a pretty long list of shit to do. I end every day with another pretty long list of shit I didn't get done.
So i make lists all the time. Maybe it gets done, maybe it doesnt. Has anybody seen a Phone App for worklists. Cross out items. make new items. I get tired of rewriting the lists on paper. ?

Carlson-jet

Reaction score

Bad grounds or somebody hacked into the connections with a shitty connector. If I had a buck for every time I had to "play" with trailer lights I could throw both our money away and live like a billionaire. LOL

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
do yourself a favor and run dedicated ground wires on each side of the trailer. every trailer that uses a chassis ground fails. harbor freight harness for like $20 and split the white wire in two.

samsah33

Reaction score
So Random thought I just had... (Which I'm just going to use this thread for these philosophical and sometimes dumb thoughts).

Kids are going to learn what they learn in school.. They are going to learn math, history, English etc.. But a large part of their education in life comes from the home, if nothing else by being around their parents. I'm actively teaching my kids everyday.. Stupid things like how tie downs work, and making them tie down their quads and untie them etc..

My dad taught me all kinds of shit, even the basics of machining. The one thing he taught me that I'm forever grateful for though is the ability to see outside the box, and solve just about any problem that comes my way. Strangely I get a lot of people (both local and non local) asking me what I think of new business ideas, or where they should go in the future with the chips they have on the table. I rather enjoy it to be honest, and have never charged for that advice even when it has become wildly successful for a few.

Getting off the topic of the thought though.. The one thing my parents never taught me about was money. Never learned about savings accounts, investing, 401K's.. you name it, I dunno shit about it. My biggest saving grace that I have always had in my life goes back to the seeing outside the box thing. Money was never a big deal to me because if I needed more of it, I'd just go out and get more of it. I've worked for myself since my mid 20's and have always had that thought process. (I.E. Like I said above with the tutoring thing.. In the middle of a pandemic I figured a pretty quick and what I'd consider a relatively easy way to pull 100-120 an hour, and that could end up booming into quite the little business if you did it right and ended up franchising it etc..)

I had a long time friend Jonathan and rdp member @C-Ya give me some career advice over 20 years ago, that I really fucking wish I woulda listened too.. LOL. He was telling me over and over for 20 years what to do to actually make money, and weirdly 17 years later we kinda fumble fucked our way into it and sure as shit he was right.

So I'm sitting here thinking about my kids, and they are all under 10 years old, but they have virtually no concept of money. I'm wondering if I'm going to end up putting too much time into teaching them things like machining, wrenching, networking etc... and too little time teaching them the value of money, how to get it, why you should save it, how to invest it (which I'm the worst at, but learning) etc..

RD
You have to teach them about $, it impacts every aspect of our lives - my question to you is why would you not teach them about it? I won't go political here, but I believe part of the problem in this country is that kids (and most adults) are financially illiterate. This lead to a lot of the problems we see today. For example, we have kids borrowing $100k in student loans the get a degree in ______________ (fill in your own "social justice" cause here) and then get out of college qualified at best for a career as a barista, and they'll never be able to pay back the loans and their only hope is for foregiveness because "they got screwed over by the system..." Same with taxes and other govt services, they don't realize that the govt doesn't produce, the govt collects and redistributes. They buy cars based on the payments and disregard the price and interest rates. I could go on and on, but you get the point. Teach them.

re: positive reinforcements from your earlier comment - it really does work wonders. Someone told me a long time ago that just like when we catch our kids doing something bad, we also need to catch them doing something good. I started praising my daughters for doing little things around the house without being asked, like emptying the dishwasher, and pretty quickly they began fighting over who got to empty it... o_O!!! (Good luck with the dog shit tho, no amount of gold stars will get them to pick it up, if ya got some advice there, give it up!)

samsah33

Reaction score

RD
Check out a show called Biz Kid$. It's a bit dated and still around on PBS sometime or I'm sure it's on youtube or online somewhere. That show gives pretty good lessons.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
So i make lists all the time. Maybe it gets done, maybe it doesnt. Has anybody seen a Phone App for worklists. Cross out items. make new items. I get tired of rewriting the lists on paper. ?
Yes, It’s called “Notes” and it’s already on your phone. Super simple without any frills, the way it should be. Just start typing or dictating....
It even has scanning features to turn photos into PDFs if you want to save screen shots, receipts etc...
AEA55948-90A1-4A62-A11A-D8D0CA7AF365.png

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I tried really hard to teach my son that money equals freedom. It gives you options. So far I do not think I was successful, but hopefully he will mature and listen to what I taught him. Just because you teach them does not mean they will do it.

wash11

Reaction score

RD

One of the deeper, more insightful posts I've seen.
You and I are peas in a pod in this area to a point. I've been self employed since my early twenties in a couple decent businesses but the most successful one was started when I was 26. Making money was never an issue. Want a new toy? Hustle and hand over $100 bills a few months later. Saving/investing? Clueless. From 28 to 43, profited millions of dollars. Averaged 70 days in Glamis per season for a decade, 275 to 300 hours on the boats every year, travel, epic parties.......... a lot of great memories but gave up my best wealth building years out of total ignorance on the subject.
When we sold the business in 16' it was a "oh fuck" moment knowing that my income producing abilities had been cut down considerably and I better figure out what to do for the future so I dug in and started to figure things out. Too bad my kids were pretty well grown and I missed the chance to teach them some helpful stuff.
If you dig podcasts, I suggest the Dave Ramsey stuff. While I don't agree with everything he teaches there is a basic outline there that works and teaching materials for parents and kids that you can't go wrong with.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Welcome to the remote learning club Dave. We have 5 kids aged 8-15 and have been doing remote learning with them. It’s a lot of work but has made me far more involved in their education. I kind of like it now and am trying to figure out a way to move our elementary and middle school kids to full time home school next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
Teaching kids about money and savings is a huge need.
F’d up on the oldest step-son with that and now teaching him that as he buys his business from me and mom. His biggest issue is budgeting and saving $$ for personal emergencies. Told him he needs 6 months pay sitting in an account just in case he losses his job. Had to explain how the business has 3 months of expenses and payroll (target is 12) sitting in savings just in case and the new truck account gets 2% of profits each week (target is 60% of cost before we take out loan to purchase it). Told him until then we are not adding another truck.

Middle kid is learning more and more, but his biological dad F’s up everything mom and I try to teach him, so not sure what to do on that.

Youngest daughter is getting the best education. Any money gift received gets divided. 50% into long term savings, 50% into her spending account for stuff she wants. She also works for money around the house. Currently she wants a Speed RC car. She will use $40 from her spending account and has to earn 100 chore stars before I purchase the car. She also losses stars for negative behavior. Since she is 9, working on teaching her you need to earn money to spend it. As she gets older, we will start her on investments and retirement.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I've always wondered why schools didn't/don't teach life basics?! Everyone goes to school and everyone needs basic life skills - it's long list but includes things like:
* Cooking - not everyone learns at home
* Basic financial info and skills - balancing a checkbook, what is credit - why it matters and how to build it
* Relationship (not sex ed) skills, communication and interacting with others
* Resume writing (and building) - How to interview; making a good first impression

The list could go on and on - these are fundamental building blocks for life

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
So i make lists all the time. Maybe it gets done, maybe it doesn't. Has anybody seen a Phone App for work lists. Cross out items. make new items. I get tired of rewriting the lists on paper. ?
One of the most understated person who posts on this board. Met Randy a few times. My impression was keep my mouth shut and listen.

Dave, you have access to real-estate. Buy it up and rent or lease it out.

All kids should have a bank account, get a statement each month to see what their net-worth is. Piggy banks are just something they raid for candy and crap. The kiddos should have an allowance with a direct deposit. Gift money should be immediately deposited with them filling out the deposit slip. I suggest think or swim for a avenue to learn trends. Trends are or what we use daily, are not the best but we all can see how the game is played.
I really don't know what particularly to do but I know what not to do. My lessons have been hard knocks. Nothing less.

Singleton

Reaction score

we use Cozi and the lists feature.
shopping lists save me from buying unhealthy stuff.
to-do list tracks the items we need to get done
my wife uses the recipe feature - allows for shopping list to be auto created and allows us to have access to all recipes without the books

Icky

Reaction score
If you use Office 365, then you can create list in OneNote that will sync between your phone, tablets computers etc. If not then you can use the one built into your phone like mentioned above

Dirtbag

Reaction score
The answer if our kids are learning the right things lies in what your kid has plans on doing. My daughter wants to be a Heart surgeon. Critical thinking and problem solving are high on that list. Shes in all AP classes and my answer would be yes she is learning what she needs to do the profession she intends to do. However she has no idea how to cook, clean, fix, manage finances, or understand the value of a dollar. Those are part parenting issues and part school issues.

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I thought about the money thing and how to show them how many grows.. So I grabbed their social security cards and took them down to the credit union and we opened three bank accounts..

I’ll keep ya posted on the results of that random late night thought..

Got some doozies for the weekend we can get into next week.. :D

clarence

Reaction score

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Just like everyone else I always have these big plans for the week, and they end up getting side tracked because of “life.”

Kids school got shut down a little while ago for two weeks because of a covid outbreak..

I am different than most I suppose, I look back on last year as the year I got to spend the most time with my kids than I likely will ever again. My little lunch crew has been just about everywhere in this town and they know which restaurants have the crayons and love their coloring contests..

The homeschooling is enough to make ya want to eat a bullet, but that can be overcome with positive reinforcement.. doesn’t work for adults that well as a motivator but you’d be surprised what a kid will do for a “gold star” or a happy face on a progress chart.. lol.

All of this aside from the actual point. I have always been a serial entrepreneur. I just can’t help myself. Today My whole day got sidetracked with the kids and running some errands.. not a huge deal to me because I can work anytime from anywhere. I got to thinking if I was living in so cal Abd lost my job.. you could make 120-150.00 an hour pretty quick.

Tell your friends to drop six to eight kids off at the house and do the home schooling thing or help the kids with their home work packets for 15.00 each.. ten kids would be pretty manageable in a study hall type environment. Couple fold out tables in the garage and white boards.

Not only would ya get to throw some conservative values in there, but probably make a pretty decent impact on some of these kids lives.

Day cares are pretty highly regulated.. study halls? I don’t believe there’s any regs...

Random thought from earlier today.

I now someone that is doing this as we speak. From rough calculations, they plan to have an extra grand in income every month! Part of that extra is from not paying taxs, and the other is from not paying for their own childcare. It seems dicey but if it goes as planned its a win win for them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So these are my thoughts on the 18+ section “as a concept.”

with regard to the concept of a paid forum, or??

the post I made in there earlier..

—— Paid forum aka 18+ section —-

I kinda came into this hot and heavy looking to solve two problems.

One I wanted to give the guys that wanted to post T&A a place to do that and the inverse of that the guys that wanted to view it a place to do so..

The second thing was the beginnings of a second revenue stream that also supports conservative views.

In a period of 9 days it 680.00 for conservatives that is extremely impressive.. From the standpoint of content though I keep asking myself, it can’t just be T&A it has to offer something else that someone would want because T&A is free on the internet.

I am considering changing the premise to something else.. What that is I’m not sure?

premium content?
Possible “trunk club” membership.. (they are extremely popular now)
Private events or?

Not sure what I want to do with it yet, other than I don’t think T&A is the long term “draw.”

What would members like to see or feel is a value of some sort of paid membership. Or just scrap it as a whole?

I really like, again the idea of a small paid membership to generate funds but the members get something out of it that’s worth it.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
So these are my thoughts on the 18+ section “as a concept.”

with regard to the concept of a paid forum, or??

the post I made in there earlier..

—— Paid forum aka 18+ section —-

I kinda came into this hot and heavy looking to solve two problems.

One I wanted to give the guys that wanted to post T&A a place to do that and the inverse of that the guys that wanted to view it a place to do so..

The second thing was the beginnings of a second revenue stream that also supports conservative views.

In a period of 9 days it 680.00 for conservatives that is extremely impressive.. From the standpoint of content though I keep asking myself, it can’t just be T&A it has to offer something else that someone would want because T&A is free on the internet.

I am considering changing the premise to something else.. What that is I’m not sure?

premium content?
Possible “trunk club” membership.. (they are extremely popular now)
Private events or?

Not sure what I want to do with it yet, other than I don’t think T&A is the long term “draw.”

What would members like to see or feel is a value of some sort of paid membership. Or just scrap it as a whole?

I really like, again the idea of a small paid membership to generate funds but the members get something out of it that’s worth it.

I think in order for someone to pay for an online membership, it has to bring value to the person. Weather it's entertainment, some type product or service. Nothing else really comes to mind that someone would be willing to pay for on line other than sex. I know allot of porn on the internet is free but allot is not. Also think of all the dating sights as well. Cash cows. Its the new norm.

RDP Porn
or
RDP Dating

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think in order for someone to pay for an online membership, it has to bring value to the person. Weather it's entertainment, some type product or service. Nothing else really comes to mind that someone would be willing to pay for on line other than sex. I know allot of porn on the internet is free but allot is not. Also think of all the dating sights as well. Cash cows. Its the new norm.

RDP Porn
or
RDP Dating

I wouldn’t ever do a dating site.. even though I introduced AJ Barrett to his wife, and Ricky to his girl Kelly, and about ten other guys I know.

I don’t like the porn thing either.. tits maybe. Lol. I’m too conservative to try that road.. hell I won’t even do the legal weed thing even though literally all my friends are printing money with it.

I like the idea of providing something of value for $$ and subsequently taking “x” amount of that money and supporting conservative causes to fight back against the left that I feel is ruining the country.