WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Randsberg this week

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Jets from China Lake have been strafing our campsite all day.
Never when I have the camera handy.
Fun as hell to watch.

Been fighting with My Go Pro Hero 5 black since the day I bought it and finally have decided to default back to the Hero 3. Expensive POS. The 5 sucks.

Rolled into town for a few errands and hit a few dive bars.
Three girls came in to one and sat next to me as I was buying a round and included them too. They were excited and struck up a conversation.

They are MP's and had just qualified expert with the M4.
Also their unit switched from the .45 back to the Beretta 9.
They all qualified pistol expert too.
So they are out celebrating with a few drinks.

The M4 is a M16 Carbine or really a short barrel M16. Or at least it was when I was in the military.
They asked me if I was familiar with it and I told them "yeah the Army had a few in Viet Nam but they were mostly with the Air Force. The zoomies had them when we worked together."

We just called them Shortys and I never saw it among the Marines.
I was surprised they are still in service, thought the military moved onto something else long ago.

The girls loved the Beretta, though clunky, still less of a handful than the .45 in their tiny hands.
They really like the M4.

I never talk military much and shy away from conversations that do but they asked if it was true what they heard in their weapons training that some Marines carried three M16's.
I told them yeah, some of us did if you were designated fully automatic fire, and I did a few times.
They asked why.

"On full auto they (the Barrels) heat up fast so you rotate them. In some combat situations a guy is changing your magazines and handing one back. Also you can lay down much more fire with that method if your position is being rushed." A hell of a lot more.

They asked why some Marines today carry AK 47's they've seen when deployed.
"It's a old Marine Corps trick. The M16 and AK 47 have distinctively different sounds. Enemy uses the sound of the AK47 in the distance to locate their friendlies and are often drawn to it to regroup. They run into a pack of Marines instead."

The bad guys still fall for it.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
06D3AB6C-C2D5-45F2-A3C7-C47AEDFC9AAD.jpeg
You know when you’re in a military town when they have this behind the bar.

Last edited:

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I was there a few weeks ago, lunch at the General store, then a few beers at The Joint next door.

Reactions: TPC

Meaney77

Reaction score
We were there a few weeks ago too. Really like what they have done with the beer garden between the Joint and the General Store. Its cool that the store sells beer and food and you are not married to buying food from the crusty red faced bastard at the White House Salon- I swear that guy has a turd caught sideways.

Anyone remember Miss Kitty at The Silver Dollar???

grumpy88

Reaction score
We were there a few weeks ago too. Really like what they have done with the beer garden between the Joint and the General Store. Its cool that the store sells beer and food and you are not married to buying food from the crusty red faced bastard at the White House Salon- I swear that guy has a turd caught sideways.

Yeah the white house can pound sand . They are rude and ungrateful . I guess they don't need the money . I know I'm done spending mine there . Jawbone store is running a close second on not wanting any of my money too !

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
A couple MX riders stopped by the campsite this morning.
They invited us to the Gas ‘Er Up Ride for Meghan Leukemia Charity Run this Friday.
60 mile run - one route for 2 wheelers another for four wheelers.
Everyone’s invited.
We’ll do it.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Yeah the white house can pound sand . They are rude and ungrateful . I guess they don't need the money . I know I'm done spending mine there . Jawbone store is running a close second on not wanting any of my money too !

Totally agree on Jawbone Store, Food is terrible and the attitudes are even worse. Kind of a shame they could have a little gold mind. I heard that the Jawbone Store is up and has been up for sale. Would be nice to see a new owner come in and do something in there. I know its sesonal but there are a lot of passer by's heading to Mammoth as well.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Totally agree on Jawbone Store, Food is terrible and the attitudes are even worse. Kind of a shame they could have a little gold mind. I heard that the Jawbone Store is up and has been up for sale. Would be nice to see a new owner come in and do something in there. I know its sesonal but there are a lot of passer by's heading to Mammoth as well.

wtf?? they had the best tri-tip sandwiches! no bbq anymore??

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score

I have not been to the White House in years, they treat everyone like shit. My buddy that owns the General Store would like to buy the White House also, not sure why. His name is Brad, we call the town Bradsburg now.... They also own Mad Ink T Shirt shop, I wish they would bring in some new designs there.

grumpy88

Reaction score
My friend looked into it . It has a lot of property and it's approved for a rv full hook up park . All of it looked good till he saw the books . Either it's for sale for a good reason or it's not on the books . Bummer deal because he had all the means to make it go .

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I paid 9 dollars 2 weeks ago and it was terrible . I get it on a weekday but it was Saturday afternoon . Sad
I get the expensive part and have no problem with that, must cost a ton to get food brought out to the middle of no where, but it at least better be good.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I get the expensive part and have no problem with that, must cost a ton to get food brought out to the middle of no where, but it at least better be good.
Sucked ass and I'm not picky . Minimal meat . Reheated . I should of had a hotdog . There nothing like they were a couple years ago .

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Just at sundown I was traveling south on Stevens Mine rd 300 yards off Trona rd as a mountain lion jumped the rd at full speed just at the edge of my headlights.

Last night I did shine my flashlight out in the desert and blue green eyes about 10” apart and 100 ft away did light up.
I’m handling my lion tamer .38 when outside.

My impression is that cat will hit you at 40 miles per hour before you have any idea and can respond.
It’s colors blend in to the desert terrain perfectly in the daylight.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Heading out now for a rare on a Friday desert run for Meghan.
A child with Leukemia.
They’ve raised a solid $100k.

Got the Hero 5 figured out, dialed in Filmora and will post a feeble video Starbucks WiFi permitting.
Nice group of people.

My unlimited Verizon Data plan ran out of data until the 19th.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My wife is s speciality cancer nurse at USC.
She is working with CART-T treatment and it looks promising as a cure for both cancers.
Her patients are responding really well.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Ross I really wish we could have been there for that ride. It would have been...right.
As to the Cats...rethinking my load out for the trip LOL.
You are right about their behavior, sometimes. They have more than one way of attacking.
I was clearing a call at O'dark thirty where a newly transplanted flatlander had gone out to see what was amiss with her horses and saw one jump out of a tree about 30 ft. away in her pasture.
Pacifist...unarmed..
She had heard it scream earlier and that is why she called. The first time you hear a cat scream it'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up.
Anyway I went out and looked around, gave her some tips, told her to put her horses in the barn she had at night and do it an hour before dusk.
Was leaving the area (long way from pavement) and stopped in the middle of the road to...well to jump out and take a squirt. Spotlighted and checked with alley lights. All clear.
Or so I thought.
As I was climbing back in the rig (Expedition) the damn cat jumped off the bank right at my left fender, over the hood, and cleared the entire truck.
Holycrap. #@!$!!!
I've got lots of good mountain lion stories for the camp fire.
A good bear call too.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Someone camped a few miles away threw a 7 gal propane tank in a campfire in the desert then took off. The explosion would have leveled a house.

Pissed off some other camper so bad he was rolling through camps threatening to shoot who ever did it.

A hell of a blast I must admit.
Neighbor campers were over chatting and our t shirts inflated.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Holy crap I bet it was. I wonder if they screwed with the relief valve on that tank. Theoretically they are supposed to bleed pressure and just burn off. Seen 'em do it at wildland fires, etc. One going off...not good. A window rattler for sure.
We have a 250 gallon tank here for the house. Runs the stove and shop heater and will ultimately run the water heater and furnace when we can afford to redo the system.
It makes me nervous sometimes, but we are a long long way from a public natural gas line.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
And on the subject of Go Pros...
I have a Hero 4 silver.
Bought it with Cabelas Points. Right about the time Dawson was getting very ill. When I finally got around to trying to use it it was NFG, DOA... and out of warranty. John D, Dawson's Grandpa, bought the exact same one and had the same experience. His was DOA as well. I talked to Go Pro support, told them the story, they told me to buy another chip, I did, still no go. They offered me a 10% off certificate on a new one.
I laughed. they were worthless.
Bought a cheapo from Amazon and gonna play with it. If you get bored you are welcome to mess with the damn Go Pro. It is still in the trailer I think. John said he'd never buy another...then he bought a new XPT dynamic ride etc with the Ride Command. It has the cool in dash deal.
That only works with Go Pros.
LMAO.
He bought a Hero 5 and it seems to work. I give him nothing but grief about it.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
57D5F3C4-B05E-4B9E-8332-CC731480F891.jpeg
My favorite bar in Randsberg is DJs pub.
Always stop off when in town.
Clean, nice atmosphere, cheap and a fun crowd.

Bartender Candace is super.
Single and adopted 4 kids, owns her own home, sweet as Sugar and the bar owner said she’s the franchise.

Kick in the ass to talk to.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We're out here too . Maybe run to randsburgh in the morning . Any where for breakfast ?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
30 to 60 mph winds predicted all day and night Sunday. We’re going to wait and see before we roll anywhere.

FBT just rolled into camp.
An Olympic class trailer backer.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
FBT & Mrs have arrived at TPC mobile HQ. Any earthquakes or lightning strikes or other unusual phenomenon....it wasn't us....lol

yz450mm

Reaction score
We are camped at Calico, and I will be pretty disappointed if this wind event comes through. It's dead calm right now, I was hoping to have a nice relaxing Sunday having some beers in town and doing some people watching.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
We are camped at Calico, and I will be pretty disappointed if this wind event comes through. It's dead calm right now, I was hoping to have a nice relaxing Sunday having some beers in town and doing some people watching.

We will be there next Friday. Please leave it clean ! Lol

yz450mm

Reaction score
Our space will be cleaner than when we got here, LOL. What site are you in? These sites are pretty tight, unless you get one of the pull throughs.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score

What is there to do camped there? Is there much riding?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It’s blowing pretty good.
I’d say 30 to 40 mph gusts.
Forecast is until Monday at dawn.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We were pretty tired after the 9 hour drive and sacked out early. Wind has been rocking it hard all night. We will see what the day brings.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Our space will be cleaner than when we got here, LOL. What site are you in? These sites are pretty tight, unless you get one of the pull throughs.

53, through 59 . I hope the ones down in the corner . Or the pull throughs . All the rigs are over 50 feet . Is it busy there ?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
50’ away from FBT and we’re texting each other.

So dry here the inside of my nose feels like a triscuit cracker.

FBT invested in in shock upgrades feels like $$ well spent goes the tale.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Yes...worth the $. Cindy is LOL about the triscut effect. Ya need a windshield brother....We still need one for the back.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
The wind...
Sitting here in the trailer...it is rocking. the rzr is parked outside facing into the wind and the ramp door is facing the wind as well.
Looking out the window when it gusts I can see the tires roll back and forth against the park pin about a half an inch...yep..shes a blowing.
Wasn't bad on the ride to Randsburg and back.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
20180218_163531.jpg

New to posting pics from this phone. easy peasy but a bit slower...probably due to
3 bars

yz450mm

Reaction score
53, through 59 . I hope the ones down in the corner . Or the pull throughs . All the rigs are over 50 feet . Is it busy there ?
Campground was pretty full, only a couple spots open Friday and Saturday night. Here's a shot of 52 through 60, it's on the east side closer to the entrance Road, about in the middle of the row.
20180219_095541.jpg

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Wind was really rocking last night.
Not a ton of sleep.
Cindy got a message from our friends from home who were at Sand Mountain for The weekend. The wind blew like crazy there too.
Then it snowed.
They are heading for home now...Donner Pass is open so they will make it. We will spend today here and see if the wind settles down. Leaving tomorrow for Death Valley. I'll start a thread on the rest of the trip later. Death Valley Parhump and then Dumont Dunes before heading into...So Cal for 72 hours.
We have a blast with TPC and his better half.

yz450mm

Reaction score
What is there to do camped there? Is there much riding?
The campground is fun because it's fully OHV compatible, as long as you stay out of the back loops you are fine. Riding is fun, lots of canyons and trails to explore and also some open area with higher speed sections of Trail. I've only explored a tiny bit, but it looks like you can spend all day exploring the trails up in the mountains pretty easily.

You can also ride your OHV up to the town and get lunch and a beer...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
60 mph winds @31F MFSOB night.
Wife and Dune Cat slept like it was nothing.

I was up but pulled down the sat dish in the winds and tried to watch the Olympics online.
NBC now wants $$ for their streaming.
NFW.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Truck thermometer says 26f.
Just changed out propane bottles.

Homemade Miso soup tastes sooo good in this cold.

Meaney77

Reaction score
We were in Dove Springs over the weekend and the wind Sunday night was crazy! So crazy that we popped in all 3 slides and made the kids sleep on the couches. The temps were chilly yesterday morning and the drive home was a bit of a white knuckle ride!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Said our farewells to the TPC's and we are in Ridgecrest getting a few things. Last time I was here I was 10. Needless to say it has changed LOL. Off to Death Valley in a bit. New thread coming soon. Ross it was great to finally meet you. Your wife is a sweetheart. We both married up didn't We? LOL
Safe travels...will see you at Sand Mountain...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Rolled into the homestead at 1.
Dropping off the RV for brakes and repairs to the awning and rear bunk drive.

Been out since the Pirates poker run.
Good to hang with the FBTs and verification their really is an Alice.

FBT ran a Sirens of Satan Leaf blower and his dog ran off with a Pack of Coyotes and our cat is still hanging upside down from the ceiling of the RV.

images

Ready to head out again.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Rolled into the homestead at 1.
Dropping off the RV for brakes and repairs to the awning and rear bunk drive.

Been out since the Pirates poker run.
Good to hang with the FBTs and verification their really is an Alice.

FBT ran a Sirens of Satan Leaf blower and his dog ran off with a Pack of Coyotes and our cat is still hanging upside down from the ceiling of the RV.

images

Ready to head out again.

You have a tough life!!