WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Randsburg. Where’s the best camping?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We want to hit Randsburg this coming Holliday’s.
Never did it before.
Any takes on the best place to roll in early and camp?
Thanks

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Never even heard of it.
What kind of riding is out there?
Quad friendly?

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
There are tons of great places out there. We always camp off of 20Mule team parkway in Cal City and ride out to Randsburg.

We camp near Borax Bill’s park.

When you go to Randsburg make sure to have lunch at the General Store, ask for Brad or Carol, they are great friends of mine. Tell them Billy from Vegas says hi.

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Spangler or wagon wheel are good . Large groups take up a lot of the flat real estate out there . If you ride to randsburgh be careful of the unmarked vertical mines . Swallow your x3 whole ! It's also cool to ride to the pinnacles and to inyokern for food or to the microbrew from there . Have fun

Meaney77

Reaction score
Lots of good riding out there, have been riding and camping out in Spangler for many many years. We usually camp under the white globe by the train tracks at Searles Station Road.

I know there is camping out towards Randsburg but have never done it.

Personally I am a fan of Dove Springs its less of a drive, and it seems to be a good central location. On any weekend you can hit some descent destination rides like Dove to Schmidt tunnel to Randsburg for lunch and beers and then from Randsburg to Jawbone Store for more beers. You can also take EP15 from Dove and end up in Spangler which is a fun ride. Lately we have left Dove headed north to the Indian Wells Brewery then back up to Spangler over to Randsburg.

Tons of good riding with lots of places to explore and see. Even better on off weekends.

When I was riding dirt bikes more we camped once at Cal City and I wasnt a fan- The riding pretty much sucked and we ended up riding to Spangler to find single track- It might be better for a SxS these days.

Just my 2 cents.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Lots of good riding out there, have been riding and camping out in Spangler for many many years. We usually camp under the white globe by the train tracks at Searles Station Road.

I know there is camping out towards Randsburg but have never done it.

Personally I am a fan of Dove Springs its less of a drive, and it seems to be a good central location. On any weekend you can hit some descent destination rides like Dove to Schmidt tunnel to Randsburg for lunch and beers and then from Randsburg to Jawbone Store for more beers. You can also take EP15 from Dove and end up in Spangler which is a fun ride. Lately we have left Dove headed north to the Indian Wells Brewery then back up to Spangler over to Randsburg.

Tons of good riding with lots of places to explore and see. Even better on off weekends.

When I was riding dirt bikes more we camped once at Cal City and I wasnt a fan- The riding pretty much sucked and we ended up riding to Spangler to find single track- It might be better for a SxS these days.

Just my 2 cents.
Northern dove springs is closed !!

thmterry

Reaction score
We live local and camped here this weekend 1 mile before Searles station rd if coming from the south. If you would like a guide of the area let me know. SXS or dirt bike works for me.

Attachments

• 20171123_133515.jpg
    20171123_133515.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 20171126_103617.jpg
    20171126_103617.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF3202.JPG
    DSCF3202.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 238

Gelcoater

Reaction score
From what I understand pretty good.
Spangler is one spot with access to trails, several others.
https://expeditionportal.com/a-pilgrimage-to-randsburg-california-and-the-husky-monument/
There are tons of great places out there. We always camp off of 20Mule team parkway in Cal City and ride out to Randsburg.

We camp near Borax Bill’s park.

When you go to Randsburg make sure to have lunch at the General Store, ask for Brad or Carol, they are great friends of mine. Tell them Billy from Vegas says hi.
Wow. Thanks guys.
From that link it looks like a really cool spot.
Is it BLM controlled?
Do you need a camp fire permit or camping pass of some kind?

Might be a nice option on big weekends vs Glamis or Ocotillo

Meaney77

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks guys.
Is it BLM controlled?

On the busy weekends you will see a few BLM Rangers- nothing like the patrol you see in Glamis. In all of the years we have been going out there I have yet to see any on off weekends.

I think the fire permits are now required everywhere if I am not mistaken. However I have yet to see anything enforced.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks guys.
Is it BLM controlled?

Not so much...

Dove Springs and Cal City are no secrets. They will be packed just like every place else on a holiday.

Been camping at Dove Springs for over a decade. Best base camp area for exploring.

Best place to stay on a holiday weekend is HOME!

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Whats the best route into Spangler towing a big toy hauler?
Drop down from Ridgecrest or take Trona rd up,,,, or what?
Best to just camp off Trona rd?

grumpy88

Reaction score
I think it's garlock to trona ? The roads are fine for large rigs .

Meaney77

Reaction score
Where we camp-
  • Take the 405 Freeway NORTH to the 5 Freeway.
  • Take the 5 Freeway North to the CA State Route 14.
  • Take CA State Route 14 NORTH for approximately 67 miles to Mojave.
  • At Mojave CA State Route 14 bears to the RIGHT.
  • Continue on CA State Route 14 until you pass the Jawbone Ranger Station.
  • 1 mile after the Jawbone Ranger Station, veer right onto RedRands Road.
  • Continue on RedRands road until it hits Highway 395. Always stay to the left, there are a couple of “Y” type intersections, just remember to stay to the left. (It’s a winedy 2 lane highway)
  • When you hit highway 395, make a left at the stop sign.
  • Continue on highway 395 approx 5 miles until you hit Searles Station Road.
  • Make a right at Searles Station Road and go over the rail road tracks
  • After you cross the tracks, continue on about ¼ mile and you will see a wide dirt road- make a right and find a place to camp.

thmterry

Reaction score
Whats the best route into Spangler towing a big toy hauler?
Drop down from Ridgecrest or take Trona rd up,,,, or what?
Best to just camp off Trona rd?
Where you coming from? the best centralized locations are off the 395. You can go to the El Pasos, Randsburg, pinnacles easily from there.

thmterry

Reaction score
Where we camp-
  • Take the 405 Freeway NORTH to the 5 Freeway.
  • Take the 5 Freeway North to the CA State Route 14.
  • Take CA State Route 14 NORTH for approximately 67 miles to Mojave.
  • At Mojave CA State Route 14 bears to the RIGHT.
  • Continue on CA State Route 14 until you pass the Jawbone Ranger Station.
  • 1 mile after the Jawbone Ranger Station, veer right onto RedRands Road.
  • Continue on RedRands road until it hits Highway 395. Always stay to the left, there are a couple of “Y” type intersections, just remember to stay to the left. (It’s a winedy 2 lane highway)
  • When you hit highway 395, make a left at the stop sign.
  • Continue on highway 395 approx 5 miles until you hit Searles Station Road.
  • Make a right at Searles Station Road and go over the rail road tracks
  • After you cross the tracks, continue on about ¼ mile and you will see a wide dirt road- make a right and find a place to camp.
This is Prospectors camp that you are talking about from last weekend. It wont be this busy for any other trip this year. No wind at all is why it looks so dusty.
DSCF3217.JPG

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Approaching from the 58 then North up the 395.

thmterry

Reaction score
Approaching from the 58 then North up the 395.
Ballsdeep directions were good except the last right turn is right at railroad tracks not 1/4 mile past. My spot is 1 mile before his in a little valley

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
You can camp on any BLM land. Most of it is free. They few places they charge is where they sometimes provide dumpsters and need extra enforcement. Sometimes even a RV dump station but rarely.
BLM free camping rules are 14 days in then you have to be out for at least 14 days and about 28 miles plus away.

There are several free BLM camping areas in LHC. Standard wash, Craggy Wash, Lone Tree and a couple others.
In cooler seasons they have a "Camp Host" at these locations. They'll ask nicely to follow the rules, then second visit is from the LEOS.

In Az on State property, (if I recall properly, I may be way off) their is an online permit process and it's about $5 indiv to $10 family and that might be daily. It's not directly enforced, but if the LEOS are in the area on other business they usually ask to see your permit and will wait while you buy it online and your cell phone receipt is good.

Ehrenberg BLM is fantastic Free camping and where the wife and I like to drop anchor and break in new off road toys.
No BLM enforcement so we're starting to see homeless moving in and the fear is it'll default to Slab City status.
That'd be tragic.
No camp host and the Chevron station is easy off road and RV access, no dump.
It's the after event camping location of the Quartzite "Rubber Tramp Rendezvous" in late January so the place is being discovered.

Big Guns and I were camped in Dumont one year and an entire adjacent camp of at least 10 RV's and off road toys was hauled off by the Leos.
The camp was entirely made up of stolen vehicles.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Not so much...

Dove Springs and Cal City are no secrets. They will be packed just like every place else on a holiday.

Been camping at Dove Springs for over a decade. Best base camp area for exploring.

Best place to stay on a holiday weekend is HOME!

We went to Dove Springs once and the BLM enforcement was so stringent and so crushing we left, never ventured out.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Ballsdeep directions were good except the last right turn is right at railroad tracks not 1/4 mile past. My spot is 1 mile before his in a little valley
Do you guys camp in the "stadium" area ( I think thats what its referred to)?

Meaney77

Reaction score
We went to Dove Springs once and the BLM enforcement was so stringent and so crushing we left, never ventured out.

Sounds like you may have had some badge heavy rookie? We have been going to Dove for many many years also and never had any issues- knock on wood...

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Wagon Wheel is what used to be known as "Charley's Place." I think thats the best area to camp. You can find a cool rock outcroping to camp up against.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Wagon Wheel is what used to be known as "Charley's Place." I think thats the best area to camp. You can find a cool rock outcroping to camp up against.

Agreed, used to camp there a bunch lots of good riding and camping over there.