WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Range Rovers?

MrsVP

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Discovery or Velar?

We went shopping the other day for a new work van for my husband, and I saw a beautiful Velar on the lot.

I've been casually mentioning about getting a new larger vehicle (but nothing the size of a suburban, unless I can get a 90s body style and trick it out). Well, this bad bitch made me think about it more!

So with that being said, anyone have any comments if they own one?

Thanks!

Taboma

Reaction score
We've seen a few of these Velars and think they're awesome looking. The mag reviews I've read aren't exactly great for a couple of reasons.
Seems between some reliability issues, wonky infotainment, and cheaper more plastic interior than the price tag would suggest --- I dunno, but I haven't gone and checked one out yet in person. I've always loved the RR interiors, so that comment caught me by surprise.

MrsVP

Reaction score
We've seen a few of these Velars and think they're awesome looking. The mag reviews I've read aren't exactly great for a couple of reasons.
Seems between some reliability issues, wonky infotainment, and cheaper more plastic interior than the price tag would suggest --- I dunno, but I haven't gone and checked one out yet in person. I've always loved the RR interiors, so that comment caught me by surprise.
I did some reading too, and I also saw some comments on the infotainment being strange. I'm one of those, set the stations and never move anything again, so I'm hoping that I wouldn't be greatly affected by it. haha!
The interior of the one I saw is a dark grey leather, with black suede inserts. There is a ton of acrylic, it's sharp looking but I'm honestly terrified to even eat in this thing. It would be my daily driver and would be taken to the river often.
It has the larger V6 that is supercharged, that I like.

I did see that the Discovery has a diesel option, which is appealing as well.

Taboma

Reaction score
I did some reading too, and I also saw some comments on the infotainment being strange. I'm one of those, set the stations and never move anything again, so I'm hoping that I wouldn't be greatly affected by it. haha!
The interior of the one I saw is a dark grey leather, with black suede inserts. There is a ton of acrylic, it's sharp looking but I'm honestly terrified to even eat in this thing. It would be my daily driver and would be taken to the river often.
It has the larger V6 that is supercharged, that I like.

I did see that the Discovery has a diesel option, which is appealing as well.

My wife currently drives a 2016 Audi SQ5, last year of the old style and built in Germany cars. Really fun and she enjoys driving it. I put a SD Card in it with 700 songs right after she bought it and I don't think she's touched any MMI (Infotainment) buttons since, lol :D I'm driving an 18' Ford Raptor and don't know shit about mine either, except that for some reason it drops her blue tooth phone (I carry a non-BT flip phone :p) and it takes me 20 minutes of pushing buttons I know not what they do, but eventually I win o_O I used the Nav once and all it resulted in was me creating knew swear words to scream back at that meddling bitch in my dash who wouldn't shut the hell up giving me directions I didn't need :D:D:D
We're not exactly tech-savy around here, lol :p:p

Tank

Reaction score
Buddy owned a Range Rover dealership, he sold a couple years ago. They didn't make their money on the sales of the cars, they made their money on the maintenance and repairs. Don't ever own one with-out a complete warranty and service contract.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have a 2017 rrs HSE with td6 diesel. It kicks azz. I understand the 2019 Velar may have the six cylinder diesel allSo. I would try driving it first

huge torque and you will probably get fuel economy in the mid 30s on the freeway if not more!

My trips to Vegas have now gone up to 33 to 34 miles per gallon. Range is 600 miles on a tank, and yes I can go round trip to Las Vegas from orange county on one tank.

Last edited:

MrsVP

Reaction score
My wife currently drives a 2016 Audi SQ5, last year of the old style and built in Germany cars. Really fun and she enjoys driving it. I put a SD Card in it with 700 songs right after she bought it and I don't think she's touched any MMI (Infotainment) buttons since, lol :D I'm driving an 18' Ford Raptor and don't know shit about mine either, except that for some reason it drops her blue tooth phone (I carry a non-BT flip phone :p) and it takes me 20 minutes of pushing buttons I know not what they do, but eventually I win o_O I used the Nav once and all it resulted in was me creating knew swear words to scream back at that meddling bitch in my dash who wouldn't shut the hell up giving me directions I didn't need :D:D:D
We're not exactly tech-savy around here, lol :p:p
That's super smart about the SD card--I'll have to give that a whirl. Right now, I just run pandora most of the time--and use my Sirius when I don't have great service.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Buddy owned a Range Rover dealership, he sold a couple years ago. They didn't make their money on the sales of the cars, they made their money on the maintenance and repairs. Don't ever own one with-out a complete warranty and service contract.
Good to know! One of my friends had a Range Rover when we were kids and it was in the shop a lot--but I had other friends who never had any issues, I appreciate the info!

MrsVP

Reaction score
I have a 2017 rrs with td6 diesel. It kicks azz. I understand the 2019 Velar may have the six cylinder diesel allSo. I would try driving it first

huge torque and you will probably get fuel economy in the mid 30s on the freeway if not more!

My trips to Vegas have now gone up to 33 to 34 miles per gallon. Range is 600 miles on a tank, and yes I can go round trip to Las Vegas from orange county on one tank.
Thank you! High MPG is a big plus for me, I have a turbo Veloster now, and I get about 28-33 on the highway depending on where I'm headed to. My daily commute is about 60 minutes round trip so I don't want to be filling up all the time.

Thanks again!

jesco

Reaction score
Leased my wife a Discovery a year ago, she loves it. She had Audi Q7 before which was an awesome car, LESS new brakes and tires every 14 months!!!! I agree with the "dump it once out of warranty" theory, we had a Discovery 2 years ago and once out of warranty it started costing too much to keep on the road, hahaha.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Leased my wife a Discovery a year ago, she loves it. She had Audi Q7 before which was an awesome car, LESS new brakes and tires every 14 months!!!! I agree with the "dump it once out of warranty" theory, we had a Discovery 2 years ago and once out of warranty it started costing too much to keep on the road, hahaha.
That's my theory too--my Veloster has been great to me. Almost 5 years, 116k miles and only two sets of brakes, and three sets of tires. I honestly love it, and don't want to give it up. I'm wanting a little more room though, and to get off the ground a little higher.
I don't want something so big that it won't fit in my garage--and Ford and Chevy warranties suck. I thought about leasing one, but I'm afraid I'll go over mileage.

Decisions, Decisions!

boatpi

Reaction score
If you're looking for something a little bit larger that has a 7800 pound tow rating, go to the range rover sport diesel. Other than one hiccup that was taken care of at the dealership, mine has been flawless I now have 17,000 miles on it. Air cooled seats are +++!

At 70 miles an hour flat ground it will get a continual 37 miles per gallon this is on a 4800 pound all-wheel-drive vehicle. Amazing.

I posted my tow experience with a flat car trailer and a car on it, total weight just under 5000 pounds up Cajon Summit at 1/3 throttle, 63 mph.

The Velar May just have the four-cylinder diesel available which is not nearly as powerful might want to check on that. I sold my tow vehicle and now use the RRS as both.

If you plan on towing see if you can find one or order one with the tow package it makes it simpler.

jesco

Reaction score
My wife never leaves the South OC bubble, hahaha. She's had the car for close to a year and a half and only has 7k miles. The Valar is cool looking car, but smaller inside. Im 6'4" and with the seat back where I needed it there was no way anybody could sit behind me in the Valar, the Discovery has a little more room.

MrsVP

Reaction score
If you're looking for something a little bit larger that has a 7800 pound tow rating, go to the range rover sport diesel. Other than one hiccup that was taken care of at the dealership, mine has been flawless I now have 17,000 miles on it. Air cooled seats are +++!

At 70 miles an hour flat ground it will get a continual 37 miles per gallon this is on a 4800 pound all-wheel-drive vehicle. Amazing.

I posted my tow experience with a flat car trailer and a car on it, total weight just under 5000 pounds up Cajon Summit at 1/3 throttle, 63 mph.

The Velar May just have the four-cylinder diesel available which is not nearly as powerful might want to check on that. I sold my tow vehicle and now use the RRS as both.

If you plan on towing see if you can find one or order one with the tow package it makes it simpler.
Great to know!

I'm not planning on towing anything with it--we have a tow vehicle at the river, and my husband has his F350. That is killer mileage, I need to go drive the Sport and Velar!

MrsVP

Reaction score
My wife never leaves the South OC bubble, hahaha. She's had the car for close to a year and a half and only has 7k miles. The Valar is cool looking car, but smaller inside. Im 6'4" and with the seat back where I needed it there was no way anybody could sit behind me in the Valar, the Discovery has a little more room.
I wish I only did 7k miles a year! Super jealous!

My husband is 6'3", and I'm 5'11" so we both need some more room too. Honestly, we don't ever really have that many people with us--it's usually just me. If we do trips, max is my husband, me, our 13-year-old, and maybe the dog. I want to drive the Velar and Discovery. The only thing I was hesitant on with the Velar is the front seemed a little cramped, but again, we weren't shopping for me. My husband was SOLD as soon as he saw it--said we could drive it home. I drug my feet, and now I'm kicking myself :D

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Lisa has an 08 supercharged range rover and it has 90k miles on it. I had always planned on getting rid of it as soon as warranty expired but she liked it so much she wouldn't trade it in, the only issues we had with it was the air condition quit about 5 years ago. it cost $900 to get fixed. something went weird with the starting last year and it was $300
so i would say its been a good car.

IMG_0584.JPG

boatpi

Reaction score
The Discovery is a bit narrow and less luxury than RRs, but that is by design. In my opinion suited more for the person that uses it in awd snow country of dirt roads.

If you are in a very hot environment get the rear Ac option, if not front with rear ducts work fine. I like the standard wheels as the taller tires add to a great ride and it is all air suspension. They have dual front and option Ac cooled rear seats, a priceless feature with ventelated seats.

Last edited: