WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RANT: Hiring/COVID

dspracing

Reaction score
I am damn tired of trying to hire new employees. We are 4 weeks behind in production and I have 4 of my guys out with covid, we are understaffed and can't get new people in the door.

These idiots take the time to apply for a job, come in for an interview, tour the shop for 30 minutes and quit their old job(if they had one). They come in on the first day of work and last anywhere between 31 minutes(our record) and 2 days on average.

This is like really basic, generally clean, mask-free, easy work in a shop environment producing a pretty cool product, nothing crazy. The guys that work here generally love it, our retention of any employee that sticks around more than 2 weeks is quite high.

I really just don't understand how people are looking for a job, I give them gravy work with good pay and they bounce. We've probably gone through 20+ guys in the last 5 months and 4 of them are still here.

I'm getting killed in these recruiting costs and they just keep on coming because 90% of people who apply either no-show their interview or don't respond to our calls. I got to the point where if you showed up for an interview, you were hired. I hired a guy yesterday just because he called in. Anything to get warm bodies on the shop floor so we can get this work out the door.

If you don't want to work, then don't, doesn't bother me one bit. But DO NOT reply to my ad, schedule an interview OR accept my job offer!

toyaddiction

Reaction score
We had a guy quit after 1 week. He stated that he didn't feel mentally capable of having a job right now. I blame the father. He is the one that deserves a good punch in the mouth for raising a pussy. I bet we have gone through 20 guys in the last 2 months.

Bear Down

Reaction score
its so bad at our place that we hired back 2 renegade employees that were the instigators of a drawn out failed union strike against our company last year. It was really ugly and I just saw them yesterday at our warehouse working and was floored. They were re-hired at their old pay rate (15+ years)...I was aghast..

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
It’s everywhere. I’m hiring youngsters out of college with little to no experience who will easily pull six figures if they have the slightest bit of talent. I’ll maybe get an interview out of them and then nothing. They just ghost us.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Going through the same problem. At least you can get people to show up for the interview. Same deal for me I’m about 8 weeks behind in production. It’s insane and I’m paying people more than I ever have to start. Tried the temp agency thing never again.

KevinR

Reaction score
It’s everywhere. I’m hiring youngsters out of college with little to no experience who will easily pull six figures if they have the slightest bit of talent. I’ll maybe get an interview out of them and then nothing. They just ghost us.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

Curious, what is your business and where are you located?

Singleton

Reaction score
it bad at all levels. I am I’m software sales engineering and trying to hire folks 1-3 years out of college with limited finance, accounting or Internal audit / compliance skill sets.

75-80k base with OT. Some of these kids want 125k plus OT, when the w2 they submitted for offer justification show they make less then 65k today. I am over kids wanting everything, but not putting the time in to get it. Told my boss, F the new hire, let me hire a sr guy that realizes you can make 100k a year in OT on top of your base if you work the hours.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
There's this dude I follow on TikTok (@tooapree) where all he does is schedule interviews with companies over zoom and then purposely fucks them up as bad as he can...whether he's mumbling, eating, swearing, not paying attention ....it's fucking hilarious. The shocking thing is how many companies actually say you're hired after he completely fucks up the interview.:eek:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We do manufacturing and basically in the same boat as most posters here. Seems like no matter what position they're hired for they last from 3 hours to a week.
I hired a guy in my department (maintenance) that kept bugging me after his interview, I was in shock when he approached me in his 3rd hour and told me this is not for him. I'm like WTF are you talking about, you haven't even touched anything yet!
Now an inspector/packer is a revolving door, barely get them trained and they go to break and don't come back.
Up side is we don't have to pay the unemployment when they walk.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
We are a very small business, but hiring process and even the reliability of long term employees has me thinking about selling the biz, or just close up shop and me and my partner doing it all ourselves. Dealing with employees has become a burden on business.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
There's this dude I follow on TikTok (@tooapree) where all he does is schedule interviews with companies over zoom and then purposely fucks them up as bad as he can...whether he's mumbling, eating, swearing, not paying attention ....it's fucking hilarious. The shocking thing is how many companies actually say you're hired after he completely fucks up the interview.:eek:
That's fuked up...

EmpirE231

Reaction score
This is a generational thing along with govt efficiency. The govt has exacerbated this problem with their extended unemployment benefits benefits, increased unemployment benefits, disability for stress leave, mandatory paid sick days, and soon to be extended paid maternity leave..... etc

FCT

Reaction score
Sounds like another disrespectful POS. Just the person I want to watch and waste my time on🙄. But I guess if I was lazy and unemployed it would be fitting 🤷‍♂️

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like something you would do.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
They do this to keep the UE bennies..... Their intentions are not to work... Our last guys lasted 2 full days and 2 1/2 days, then the final day he asked if he gets sick pay.... and he was mid 40's. So it's just not young people.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Big unemployment checks, No need to pay rent because you can't get evicted.... why work?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
It's insane. I'm the foreman of a heavy equipment and truck repair shop and I can't find anyone who wants to work. We are stacked with work and we will hire people and they either lied about what they can do or they work for a few days and quit showing up.. it's fucking annoying

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
This will probably be the most devastating result of this whole covid BS. The entry level wages of the past are long gone so it seems. Hard to fight off inflation when labor costs are going thru the roof.

Last edited:

RaceTec

Reaction score
I can't find people at all, same issues. Last week I had a 28 year old quit because someone used her pen at the front desk while she was out of the office sick! No shit, they moved her pen and she exploded and clocked and walked, didn't even quit, just walked!

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I can't find people at all, same issues. Last week I had a 28 year old quit because someone used her pen at the front desk while she was out of the office sick! No shit, they moved her pen and she exploded and clocked and walked, didn't even quit, just walked!
please don't tell me her name was Karen. LOL

It is sad the lack of work ethic people have these days. but as has been said, why work when i can get enough for free.

nowski

Reaction score

Apparently the pen is mightier than the sword. If only it were that easy to get rid of a problem employee...

Cdog

Reaction score
There should be a required prerequisite to complaining about this sort of thing online.

All “I can’t keep an employee“ threads or statements should include what the pay is for that position.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Damn. you didn’t show her where to get a new pen? Geez have as many as you want….. for fuck sakes 👎🏻

nowski

Reaction score
Curious, what is your business and where are you located?

Let me rephrase the question: Where is the business located and what skill sets are you looking for???

Hope that gets your question answered...

endobear

Reaction score
Custom home painting contractor. It's always been hard to find good painters but the last 1.5 years have been impossible..
I've had to turn away over $400k in work since the scamdemic started because I can't find any help. 23 years in business and I'm back to slinging paint 7 days a week to keep my builders happy. My body is not happy about it. Neither is my family. I'm about ready to walk away from it.

gqchris

Reaction score
We pay $18-$38 for shop floor positions.
Id be there in a heartbeat Ryan if I needed a job. Hell yea.

Just so you know, I had a millennial quit last month over "mental stress" after I called him out for not doing his job. I was like "are you kidding me". We fix computers, not run nuclear reactors! It seems like thats a new buzz phrase for these lazy fucks.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
It’s everywhere. These people are being paid to stay home so why work. You can’t get a haircut these days without an appointment because they don’t have any employees.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Phone is blowing up this morning. Can't find anyone to sub the work out to. Easy money jobs from my repeat customers but have to pass.

Reactions: DWC

Wedgy

Reaction score
Custom home painting contractor. It's always been hard to find good painters but the last 1.5 years have been impossible..
I've had to turn away over $400k in work since the scamdemic started because I can't find any help. 23 years in business and I'm back to slinging paint 7 days a week to keep my builders happy. My body is not happy about it. Neither is my family. I'm about ready to walk away from it.

I'd go through hundreds, to find the one. I placed, and hired Dozens of students out of these programs for an 11 year span.

Again. Try School Districts, Adult Schools,, with Trades programs. San Diego Job Corps had an excellent Painting program in our 11 Construction Trades program. These programs must place their Trainees.

You all would be the Golden Goose of placements for these guys. Inland Empire Job Corps too. in SoCal. It's a phone call guys.
Good Luck.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I got laid off from my “new” job and went back to the company I spent 17 years with about this time last year…some corporate fuck bought the place and fired everyone.

I’ve started a legit business basically doing the side hustle shit I’ve been doing for the last 20 years. I’ve done about $8K in profit so far this month. A few outfits have tried to hire me, but after doing what I’ve been doing for 4 months…just the thought of being somewhere for 8 hours a day makes my skin crawl. Fuck that. I can make more money fucking around in the garage and drinking beer than I can at a “job”.

I offered some services as a consultant, because it won’t require much time or energy, but I priced myself pretty stupid high so hopefully they won’t bite.

I imagine many are realizing that whatever side hustle they came up with is working…or maybe they’re just collecting unemployment, although I’m not really sure how anyone can survive on that.

gqchris

Reaction score
Phone is blowing up this morning. Can't find anyone to sub the work out to. Easy money jobs from my repeat customers but have to pass.
Same, here I have been turning away jobs left and right.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Id be there in a heartbeat Ryan if I needed a job. Hell yea.

Just so you know, I had a millennial quit last month over "mental stress" after I called him out for not doing his job. I was like "are you kidding me". We fix computers, not run nuclear reactors! It seems like thats a new buzz phrase for these lazy fucks.
San Diego Job Corps also had a 2 different killer Computer repair programs. You should try calling.

One was run by the old Landscape Instructor. He was teaching kids installing Satellite controls on sprinkler systems.

Some of these kids are really on point. Some are not. But to go there and earn a HS Diploma, and learn a trade is an achievement most are very proud of. I think one of my favorite placements was a tiny but tough skinny little Mexican girl, Leslie. Got her Forkift certification in my class, and she was placed in a forklift driver position at the Hunts tomato factory in the Central Valley. Where jobs were more than tough. $15 hr. to start. Go Leslie!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

3AFCBC98-0592-4836-A21E-492DF28733D2.jpeg

badgas

Reaction score
I need my Son to read this thread.

He just walked in the door from 12 hour shift and will be on 12's for the foreseeable future. His take is " This is awesome , I'm racking up the OT "

He works in Construction/Carpenter position at a local theme park.

He is 23 , Speaks English, Never beed arrested, Never been fired, Clean driving record, Owns his own vehicle and tools, Can pass a drug test on the spot. Does not smoke so he saves his employer 10 minutes every hour : )

I keep telling him he needs to step out and he will double his income.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I've suggested to Dave a few years back that RDP needs a job section. Most of the inmates have kids or know good people that are looking for work.
Good luck Ryan, when I retire I'll work for you if you move your ops to Havasu.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dspracing

Reaction score
Wide range but seems legit!! Where are you located? What type of work?

Fontana, CA. CNC Machining, fabricating, welding, assembly, machine operator, etc. We have lots of varied job opportunities.

When we first moved out here it was great because we could lure in all of the workers that were tired of commuting.

Wedgy

Reaction score
I need my Son to read this thread.

He just walked in the door from 12 hour shift and will be on 12's for the foreseeable future. His take is " This is awesome , I'm racking up the OT "

He works in Construction/Carpenter position at a local theme park.

He is 23 , Speaks English, Never beed arrested, Never been fired, Clean driving record, Owns his own vehicle and tools, Can pass a drug test on the spot. Does not smoke so he saves his employer 10 minutes every hour : )

I keep telling him he needs to step out and he will double his income.
Fontana, CA. CNC Machining, fabricating, welding, assembly, machine operator, etc. We have lots of varied job opportunities.

When we first moved out here it was great because we could lure in all of the workers that were tired of commuting.

Inland Empire Job Corps Center.
You guys could throw a rock and hit it. Check it out.

San Diego Job Corps had an awesome welding program