WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rare flag...what's it worth?

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
(sorry for the crappy cell pics)

I acquired this flag from a buddy back in about 1993. He was a steel worker that was helping with the big renovation on the LA Coliseum in 1993. They took the American and the California flags down while they were working and they were told they could keep them by the staff because they were going to be replaced. He kept the American flag and I got this California flag. It is THE flag that flew over the Coliseum for who knows how many years up until 1993. May have been there for the Olympics in 1984 but no way to prove any of it. There are no markings or tags on the flag. I'm 100% positive it came from the Coliseum. It measures 7'6" x 11'6". It has some fading and some stains, one 2" tear. Hate to see it go but if I can get enough it is going on ebay or to a collector.

Any one know about this stuff? What's it worth?

Thanks

coliseum1.jpg IMAG1869.jpg IMAG1868.jpg IMAG1867.jpg

Attachments

• gdead1991.jpg
    gdead1991.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 39
  • gdead1991a.jpg
    gdead1991a.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG1861.jpg
    IMAG1861.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG1862.jpg
    IMAG1862.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG1863.jpg
    IMAG1863.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG1864.jpg
    IMAG1864.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG1865.jpg
    IMAG1865.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG1866.jpg
    IMAG1866.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG1870.jpg
    IMAG1870.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
The concert pics were from a 1991 Greatful Dead concert. The actual flag can be seen in the far right of the photos.

attachment.php

Froggystyle

Reaction score
The concert pics were from a 1991 Greatful Dead concert. The actual flag can be seen in the far right of the photos.

attachment.php

It is likely worth about zero.

Documentation is everything. Otherwise it's worth whatever a used flag is worth.

Additionally, with total documentation and authenticity, I don't think it is gonna buy momma a new pair of shoes having flown over the LA Coliseum.

Lastly, that flag probably flew for no more than four or five months at the big end. Flags that get put up and put down and are high on poles don't last very long. They are replaced all the time.

I have two flags being flown and authenticated right now as being flown above the USS Arizona and the USS Missouri on the same day. The ship that started WWII and the ship it ended on. I am paying $40 for the flag from the Navy Exchange (high quality, made in America) and the cert is free through a buddy.

These flags, when properly displayed in a trophy case with the documentation matted with them will be worth close to $40 and whatever a used trophy case costs... and only if I keep my receipt for the flag so I can return it to the NEX if I want.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
It is likely worth about zero.

Documentation is everything. Otherwise it's worth whatever a used flag is worth.

Additionally, with total documentation and authenticity, I don't think it is gonna buy momma a new pair of shoes having flown over the LA Coliseum.

Lastly, that flag probably flew for no more than four or five months at the big end. Flags that get put up and put down and are high on poles don't last very long. They are replaced all the time.

I have two flags being flown and authenticated right now as being flown above the USS Arizona and the USS Missouri on the same day. The ship that started WWII and the ship it ended on. I am paying $40 for the flag from the Navy Exchange (high quality, made in America) and the cert is free through a buddy.

These flags, when properly displayed in a trophy case with the documentation matted with them will be worth close to $40 and whatever a used trophy case costs... and only if I keep my receipt for the flag so I can return it to the NEX if I want.

Thanks for the reply. But...ebay people pay some crazy prices some times. This flag is huge and a new one the same size would cost a few bills. Here is one I found on ebay that just sold for $200 that is much smaller and much worse condition...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380710382670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
John, I would like to help with your FUND RAISING EFFORTS

RD

Thanks Dave. You can move to spam if you want me to sell it here. I was hoping to get an idea of value is all. I figured there may be some people on here that know a little about flags. Looks like Froggy has some good knowledge/connects with flags but the average Joe probably could not get the hook-up he has.:thumbsup

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Under what circumstances are flags worth money?

I ask only because I don't know.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade. But,.... Even with a signed Doc saying it was there for XYZ......
Its still a flag of Cali.
BFD.....
Hang it on the wall in your Garage, or take Daves offer.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Under what circumstances are flags worth money?

I ask only because I don't know.

Flown during a particular event and documented indisputably. For example... the "Flag that was still there" that Francis Scott Key speaks of in Star Spangled Banner is probably worth a little bit. The hand stitched flag that Betsy Ross showed the first congressional congress as a prototype is probably worth a bit.

Flags captured from enemy warships, flags toppled during battles (such as the flag flying over the Presidential palace in Iraq when it came down etc...)

The flag draped over Kennedy's coffin during his parade would be worth a grip, as would flags that were flown during events that mean a lot to people... but only if there was indisputable proof that it had an unbroken chain of custody, with photographic and forensic evidence of it's authenticity, which is rare as frog hair. Most people don't realize history is being made while it is happening.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Is it cloth or the vinyl/poly blend?

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I get that Dave... he asked the value of it is all. I will be happy to contribute...

Last edited:

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I fly a flag that my Father got when he was stationed at Pearl. Do not know the exact size. When I hang it outside it stretches from the first floor roof to the ground and almost covers my 3 car garage.
My Father got it when the flag was being decommissioned at Pearl for having a few minor spots of brown paint on it. My Father, who was an Officer on a Sub, walked over and asked for the flag. I think he has the removal paperwork for it as well.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I fly a flag that my Father got when he was stationed at Pearl. Do not know the exact size. When I hang it outside it stretches from the first floor roof to the ground and almost covers my 3 car garage.
My Father got it when the flag was being decommissioned at Pearl for having a few minor spots of brown paint on it. My Father, who was an Officer on a Sub, walked over and asked for the flag. I think he has the removal paperwork for it as well.

That's got value for being a cool, huge flag. Someone would buy that, regardless of where it hung.

Think of it this way... there are probably 300 flags being flown officially right this second in Pearl Harbor. One on every warship, one at every command, one at every quarterdeck, and probably one over the Subway/Chick-fil-A... It was probably the same way when your dad was stationed there.

It's a cool flag no doubt... and probably cost thousands to buy. I'm sure I would love to have it... and it is worth whatever someone would pay... but having flown over a naval base is not value-ridden in and of itself.

McRib

Reaction score

Sounds like u have a garrison flag. They are 20x38 or some are 20x30 but id bet urs is 20x38. To replace a flag of that size today would cost 900 to 1100 dollars depending on the material it was made of.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Sounds like u have a garrison flag. They are 20x38 or some are 20x30 but id bet urs is 20x38. To replace a flag of that size today would cost 900 to 1100 dollars depending on the material it was made of.

A single story 3 car garage front from the eaves to the ground and total width is about 10x30.;)

McRib

Reaction score
A single story 3 car garage front from the eaves to the ground and total width is about 10x30.;)

Id say it was a post flag but those are only 8x17 or 10x19. They are about 400$. No long enough to cover a 3 car garage unless its a 3 car garage for smart cars. Lol

Last edited:

McRib

Reaction score
It's cloth. Looks like cotton or linen.

To replace your flag today with a new 8x12 made from a nylon blend would be about 300 to 350 dollars. The story behind urs could get that amount but with not lineage or paper trail it would be worth prob 100$. Just a guess.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
To replace your flag today with a new 8x12 made from a nylon blend would be about 300 to 350 dollars. The story behind urs could get that amount but with not lineage or paper trail it would be worth prob 100$. Just a guess.

This one went for $200 on ebay, it is a 4x6. I'm pretty sure I could get more for mine. If Dave really wants it I'd let it go for $300 but I'm pretty sure I could get more on ebay. Let me know RD.:thumbsup

$(KGrHqVHJ!8FId0l,J,QBSJNU0KtI!~~60_57.jpg

McRib

Reaction score
This one went for $200 on ebay, it is a 4x6. I'm pretty sure I could get more for mine. If Dave really wants it I'd let it go for $300 but I'm pretty sure I could get more on ebay. Let me know RD.:thumbsup

View attachment 291886

Thats def a testament to "its worth what someone will pay for it" throw it on ebay with a reserve and see what happens.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
By the time Brown gets through with the State of California any California flag will probably worth what the entire state will be worth, which will be about $0.00:p

Steve

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Being a Calif flag - could not be worth much.
Kinda sad to think of it that way, living Calif all my life .

McRib

Reaction score
I roll the flag up at the bottom a few stripes. The eaves at my house are about 15'. This is something I would never sell, it's been in the family about 45 years.

Sounds like a 20x38 garrison flag. Flown on sundays and major holidays.