RVRKID

Reaction score
F47C197E-9556-4999-BB89-9CA031273EB9.jpeg
67F8A6C6-D617-447E-B174-AD41D2E33221.jpeg
4DFAE3D4-1276-4432-98D7-FECA6F61380F.jpeg
C54DEA99-0B16-456D-B9BA-5849E67C9EDF.jpeg
758C8AB0-3FF5-485A-85C4-EA79945F5AE8.jpeg
78D86260-C5FA-4BE3-A7E9-802CCA759850.jpeg
Headed our to Rasor Rd and had a good trip, got my Dad out for his first time in The RZR and he was all smiles. Place is fun but I was the only SXS everyone else were riding quads so that made it a little hard. Anyway here are a few pics I took:

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
We'll probably be going there President's weekend. I really liked the place the first time we went.

How far up the dirt road do you guys go before you park? Last time we went all the way by the trees, exactly 8 miles off the freeway.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Rasor Road area is great - lots of room and I believe you can shoot over there too

Boat Potato

Reaction score
Nice! We are heading out there for presidents weekend.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Fun place [emoji818]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaney77

Reaction score
That place looks like alot of fun. A few years ago Pronstar posted some pix and it sparked some intrest but I have yet to make it out.

Is it all sand?? Is there a dirt area? My car is a turd without paddles, I dont mind some sand but would prefer dirt if I dont have my paddles. And how big is there riding area and camping area?

Keep the pictures coming!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That place looks like alot of fun. A few years ago Pronstar posted some pix and it sparked some intrest but I have yet to make it out.

Is it all sand?? Is there a dirt area? My car is a turd without paddles, I dont mind some sand but would prefer dirt if I dont have my paddles. And how big is there riding area and camping area?

Some sand, a couple decent sand hills. Mostly hardpack open desert.

Sooouper low key place and no hyper enforcement.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We participated in an organized Rasor Road cleanup a few years ago.

Little did we know it was the weekend after a giant rave was held there.

I dunno if it was intentional, but I didn't appreciate being the sanitation crew. Vowed never again to participate in it.

We found some interesting things, to say the least...

But we had some epic times camping at Rasor...I even proposed to my wife while camping there [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meaney77

Reaction score
We participated in an organized Rasor Road cleanup a few years ago.

Little did we know it was the weekend after a giant rave was held there.

I dunno if it was intentional, but I didn't appreciate being the sanitation crew. Vowed never again to participate in it.

We found some interesting things, to say the least...

But we had some epic times camping at Rasor...I even proposed to my wife while camping there [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Post up some of your pix, you had a thread I thought but couldn't locate it.

Groper

Reaction score
Some sand, a couple decent sand hills. Mostly hardpack open desert.

Sooouper low key place and no hyper enforcement.
How nice would that be for a change while at Ocotillo/Truckhaven/Borrego Springs after Christmas through New Years the PoPo where thick.

We pulled off of a trail in a canyon to the side to let others pass by and stop to let the kids out for a minute and have a cold one.
Not 3min go by and the PoPo showed up :eek: (and yes it's a State Police Chick/Dude and a Male Officer) "That's Not a Trail remove your vehicle" "Now I have rake your tracks so others don't proceed" I replied huh what this is a trail a well traveled one. :confused:
My CL was sitting on my bumper but was out of view thankfully.

While hanging out a Shell Reef same deal PoPo cruising by very slow & close looking for open containers :mad:

It had been a few years since I've been to Ocotillo Wells and I guess since then they have a "NO ALCOHOL or OPEN CONTAINER" away from camp rule so now it's all about the $$$ and keeping you safe.

I think I'll stick to the open Desert, less people and less PoPo :D
We'll probably be out at RR for Pres. day as well.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That's the issue, I always cringe when I see the name mentioned. Id rather few people know about it. :)

Brian

How nice would that be for a change while at Ocotillo/Truckhaven/Borrego Springs after Christmas through New Years the PoPo where thick.

We pulled off of a trail in a canyon to the side to let others pass by and stop to let the kids out for a minute and have a cold one.
Not 3min go by and the PoPo showed up :eek: (and yes it's a State Police Chick/Dude and a Male Officer) "That's Not a Trail remove your vehicle" "Now I have rake your tracks so others don't proceed" I replied huh what this is a trail a well traveled one. :confused:

While hanging out a Shell Reef same deal PoPo cruising by very slow & close looking for open containers :mad:

It had been a few years since I've been to Ocotillo Wells and I guess since then they have a "NO ALCOHOL or OPEN CONTAINER" away from camp rule so now it's all about the $$$ and keeping you safe.

RVRKID

Reaction score
We'll probably be going there President's weekend. I really liked the place the first time we went.

How far up the dirt road do you guys go before you park? Last time we went all the way by the trees, exactly 8 miles off the freeway.
3.8 miles from when the dirt starts, some people moved their camp Sat into the trees I think to get out of the wind and then we went by Sunday and the bastards left a shit load of trash.

RVRKID

Reaction score

I made it around in my Rhino our first time out so I'm sure you would be good, this past weekend it was wet about an inch or 2 down so it was a blast in the RZR with no paddles. Hell a Geo Tracker with street tires went everywhere out there.

Meaney77

Reaction score

I am with you, I prefer the open desert with no Popo and no crowds. Just a few weeks ago were camping in Dove but headed down to Jawbone for lunch and a few cold ones. My wife had to go to the bathroom really bad but wouldn't go in the andy gumps at the jawbone store- they were gross and full, I get it. So I tell her to wait and we will pull over in the dirt somewhere.

We start heading back through the main canyon in Jawbone to get back to Dove. We pull over and my wife jumps out because she has to go so bad. Keep in mind we are off the beaten path. So she goes and squats in front of the buggy and does her thing, as shes going, a ranger blows by and sees my wife pulling up her pants. She immediately turns around and lights us up. I am freaking out, I see all of this happening, and there are a few beer cans in the buggy. We just had a few over lunch at the store. My heart is pretty much about to explode....

The Ranger comes up and starts laying into my wife about how what she is doing is illegal and she should be using the bathroom and she could write her a ticket BLA BLA BLA. Luckily she was a female and my wife explained how the saunas at the Jawbone store were gross, etc... Long story short the ranger ended up being super cool - I think she had a thing for my wife or something, she let us go with a warning. Regardless, I hate buys weekends and I hate going places that have a heavy popo presence.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
So once you exit the freeway, what's the road like? I've heard it's a washboard and kinda hard on the RV???

RVRKID

Reaction score
So once you exit the freeway, what's the road like? I've heard it's a washboard and kinda hard on the RV???
It was worse last time, just have to take the first section pretty slow until it curves right then it isn't that bad.

thmterry

Reaction score
Rasor rd is cursed, someone gets hurt every time we go.

Taboma

Reaction score
Since I keep our RZR at Havasu and have never used it in CA. It's AZ street registered along with the required OHV sticker. But, we're legally CA residents with CDLs. I noticed the sign stated CA residents need to have a green OHV sticker (As I assume you do in most the desert OHV areas) --- are you good with the AZ plate and stickers or does the CDL screw that up ?

Groper

Reaction score
Since I keep our RZR at Havasu and have never used it in CA. It's AZ street registered along with the required OHV sticker. But, we're legally CA residents with CDLs. I noticed the sign stated CA residents need to have a green OHV sticker (As I assume you do in most the desert OHV areas) --- are you good with the AZ plate and stickers or does the CDL screw that up ?
Yes your good to go and no it won't screw anything up.

Many years ago I was stopped at a checkpoint during Thanksgiving weekend entering Randsburg, AZ plated XR650R with a Ca CDL/Motorcycle endorsement with Insurance the two Rangers were surprised that I had everything in order (they felt like they got me) before I presented everything, they waived me on. :)

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Rasor is terrible don't go!;) Heading out Friday AM w/ these guys:) The shack I have been to is on the right hugging the mountain after a right at the trees past the dunes :rolleyes:
boys.jpg

RVRKID

Reaction score
Looking for some help on locating the shack. I grew up riding Rasor all the time but it’s been so long since I was at the shack. How far down the tree line do you go before cutting left? Got a couple buddies I want to show and always a great stop for a beer!
We take off down the road go past the big tree on the end and then head into the little dune course in the trees heading towards the RR track then keep heading that way until we find it. Sorry I don’t use a GPS so mostly by memory and luck.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Back in band camp,(The 80's and early 90's)🤘 my buddies and I used to moto Afton Canyon for a night, get up load our camp, that consisted of a cooler, the moto,and a gas can, maybe some H20:D-and go camp the tree at Rasor. Such great times. Still is just older and wiser.

Meaney77

Reaction score
This place and everyones pictures looks super cool! I have always wanted to check this place out and try something different. I know its off of the 15, but once you get off the freeway dont you have to drive down a dirt road for several miles? Anyone have an idea how many miles down the dirt road to get to a cool camp spot? Is it do able in a long motorhome and enclosed trailer or am I pushing my luck?

yz450mm

Reaction score
This place and everyones pictures looks super cool! I have always wanted to check this place out and try something different. I know its off of the 15, but once you get off the freeway dont you have to drive down a dirt road for several miles? Anyone have an idea how many miles down the dirt road to get to a cool camp spot? Is it do able in a long motorhome and enclosed trailer or am I pushing my luck?
It's a bit of a drive if you go all the way down to the normal Camp spot or the trees (I think like 5 or 6 miles), and there is at least one sandy section that is known to swallow motorhomes and unsuspecting slow drivers.

I've seen your type of set up camped down there though, so as long as you have somebody with you that can go ahead and Scout it (and then give you a pull if you don't make it through), you would probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Road is a good 7-8 miles, I was out a month ago, wash boarded to hell in the last 2-3 miles. Big open spot in the flats and more remote if you venture farther out by the trees, but gets sloppy due to the lack of rain. Rasor sucks don't go.;) I tried to pull out a Bigass Pusher that was buried out by the trees w/ my F150 and a jeep, no dice. Stick to the flats if you're in a rig.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Road is a good 7-8 miles, I was out a month ago, wash boarded to hell in the last 2-3 miles. Big open spot in the flats and more remote if you venture farther out by the trees, but gets sloppy due to the lack of rain. Rasor sucks don't go.;) I tried to pull out a Bigass Pusher that was buried out by the trees w/ my F150 and a jeep, no dice. Stick to the flats if you're in a rig.
Might be worth a day trip in my truck and trailer 1st to scope it out.

RVRKID

Reaction score
We've had diesel pushers out there with enclosed trailer years back, I took my 35' RV but an open trailer last I went. It's about 2-3 beers back depending on how thirsty you are to get to where you want to park. 😁

One2go

Reaction score
We've had diesel pushers out there with enclosed trailer years back, I took my 35' RV but an open trailer last I went. It's about 2-3 beers back depending on how thirsty you are to get to where you want to park. 😁
Went back through my texts/voicemails didn't find my invite Chris 😁🤙

Reactions: DLC

Boat Potato

Reaction score
We were there for the week of new years. Group of 14 rigs at the rock pile. Half of them got stuck. It's super soft right now due to the lack of rain.

gqchris

Reaction score
I camp off Basin Road, I find it much more enjoyable instead of dragging my crap down 8 miles of hell. LOL..I have even had groups of friends that just insist on spending half a day on Rasor to get back by the trees, I just Basin road and meet em.

Basin is a little bit of stress because the flats are close to the freeway. So you see all kinds of weird shit at night from the Vegas traffic. I enjoy it though, just stay locked and loaded.

Here is a little video I made years ago in my Rhino. Oh and Rasor area is closed due to Covid! ;)

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve been through on our oold annual Yucaipa to Primm dualsport ride. I’ve never camped but a friend has he just went to the 1st kiosk and parked. Is that not a good spot?