WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rattle snake question for Havasu boaters

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Say you're anchored in a nice cove , your lady is sun tanning , you're eating a nice sandwich and knocking back a favorite libation and the music is set to nice comfortable level ...my qyestion is : would the vibrations coming off the boat hull deter or at attract a snake to your boat ? I remember seeing a picture last year of a rattlesnake climbing up the back of some boat , I know all snakes can swim , but what if he climbs in your boat , now what ? Who do you call ?
I'm thinking about carrying one of those snake sticks ...can't shoot him .

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Have you tried a different prop?

Snake 01.jpg

Snake 02.jpg

:D

USMC2010

Reaction score
I have seen pictures of snakes swimming, in NC saw plenty of water moccasins swimming, only ever was near 1 here and that was at the raft up, far enough down from me I didn't actually see it. I would think the likelihood is so rare of that happening it wouldn't be something I would have a special item for. A boat hook could serve purpose without being anything unusable for boating needs.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I all ways just had a paddle close by ;)

TCHB

Reaction score
I have seen a full grown rattler swimming across the gorge in Havasu. All the boats and noise did not seem to bother him.

Sandlord

Reaction score
I think there was a post on one of the sites that the snakes do not like classic rock, alternative, or country, and will tend to stay away. but if you're playing some rap or hip-hop you might have a snake problem. ;)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have seen pictures of snakes swimming, in NC saw plenty of water moccasins swimming, only ever was near 1 here and that was at the raft up, far enough down from me I didn't actually see it. I would think the likelihood is so rare of that happening it wouldn't be something I would have a special item for. A boat hook could serve purpose without being anything unusable for boating needs.

That was on the boat that was right next to me. Scary as fuck!!! lol Shintoo handled it with his Go-Pro stick.

Thank god it wasn't a rattle snake, cause it actually bit someone! Of course, the guy it bit, tried to reach out and grab the thing, so the take away here was...

Don't try and grab onto a snake in the water! (as if that had to be said) :rolleyes

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I think there was a post on one of the sites that the snakes do not like classic rock, alternative, or country, and will tend to stay away. but if you're playing some rap or hip-hop you might have a snake problem. ;)

seems to attract clams... the snakes play the music..

2Driver

Reaction score
Sometimes I overthink being prepared. I cant say I have ever worried about this though. In Scottsdale yes, at the river not so much.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Say you're anchored in a nice cove , your lady is sun tanning , you're eating a nice sandwich and knocking back a favorite libation and the music is set to nice comfortable level ...my qyestion is : would the vibrations coming off the boat hull deter or at attract a snake to your boat ? I remember seeing a picture last year of a rattlesnake climbing up the back of some boat , I know all snakes can swim , but what if he climbs in your boat , now what ? Who do you call ?
I'm thinking about carrying one of those snake sticks ...can't shoot him .

Why can't u shoot it ???[emoji41][emoji202]

River Runnin

Reaction score
I tend to judge snakes harshly! ...Taurus Judge that is! :)...Or my snake beat'n club close!;)

Backlash

Reaction score
I've seen several rattlers up at River Island (Parker Strip), hanging around the launch ramp. Luckily they were just baking in the sun and weren't looking for a fight. I would just keep a long oar or a snake hook handy. They don't take up hardly any space and could save the day if you don't have your Go-Pro stick close by! :D

For the record, they are tasty on the grill. Please just take the head out into the middle of nowhere and bury it. ;)

Backlash

Reaction score
Jimmy you are one crazy Aussie! :D

I was going to cut and paste an image of what happens to someone when bitten by a rattlesnake...... But they are all too nasty!

F. Snakes.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Had a rattler floating down river in front of Martinez today as we we're hanging out on the sandbar today.

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
And put a hole in the boat ?

Stuff a tee shirt in the hole and carry on. Carry some Sea Goin putty and fix it for the next day. Problem solved. Or carry some snake tongs. I have one by my back door but never considered taking it boating.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Had this guy slither up onto our boat south of Fisher's Landing 15 years ago or so. Scared the hell out of my wife who was sitting on the swim step just next to him before I took this picture. Didn't have a gun handy, so I just flicked him off with a ski flag.... :D

SNAKE2.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score
Had this guy slither up onto our boat south of Fisher's Landing 15 years ago or so. Scared the hell out of my wife who was sitting on the swim step just next to him before I took this picture. Didn't have a gun handy, so I just flicked him off with a ski flag.... :D

View attachment 552359

Yup, the ones I've encountered out on Lake Havasu always tended to swim towards us when I got close to investigate. They're anxious to find a place to warm up. The good news is, because they're cold and seeking heat, I've found them to be fairly mellow.
We've sat on a beach, watched them swim across the bay and coil up fairly close by to bask in the sun. They've never been aggressive when I've gotten close to check em out, barely paid me any attention.
Of course I also wasn't trying to kill them or pelt them with rocks :rolleyes

I've always wondered what draws them to the water and motivates them to swim to an island or across a bay. Snakes by their nature strive to conserve energy, swimming expends a lot of it, especially in cooler water --- but then on the other hand, swimming across a bay is much shorter than slithering all the way around it, but how the hell do they know that :headscratch:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Why can't u shoot it ???[emoji41][emoji202]

Biggest reason in my opinion is bullets te4nd to skip off water if the shot is at an angle. I've spent lots of time skipping .22LR off water towards a target on the opposite bank. Higher caliber als can skip. So if you do shoot at a snake in the water, a shot gun or snake shot is the way to do it.......And never fired towards any collateral background regardless what kind of gun.

Yup, the ones I've encountered out on Lake Havasu always tended to swim towards us when I got close to investigate. They're anxious to find a place to warm up. The good news is, because they're cold and seeking heat, I've found them to be fairly mellow.
We've sat on a beach, watched them swim across the bay and coil up fairly close by to bask in the sun. They've never been aggressive when I've gotten close to check em out, barely paid me any attention.
Of course I also wasn't trying to kill them or pelt them with rocks :rolleyes

I've always wondered what draws them to the water and motivates them to swim to an island or across a bay. Snakes by their nature strive to conserve energy, swimming expends a lot of it, especially in cooler water --- but then on the other hand, swimming across a bay is much shorter than slithering all the way around it, but how the hell do they know that :headscratch:
The rattlers I've encountered in water seem to be escaping whatever they felt had them trapped. A boat is just like a land source they can get up on and take refuge. Just as you mention, they see the boat, they will come towards it.

And on certain occasions they may sense something on the opposite shore but that is hard to figure out on wide bodies of water they sometimes are found in the middle of.....They rely strictly on their senses so maybe they get bad reads.;)

USMC2010

Reaction score
Biggest reason in my opinion is bullets te4nd to skip off water if the shot is at an angle. I've spent lots of time skipping .22LR off water towards a target on the opposite bank. Higher caliber als can skip.
That is a whole lot of fun isn't it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Slow moving and lazy.
We occasionally see them and get the impression they want to just leave the scene.
They can strike up to 1/2 the distance of their body length.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
That is a whole lot of fun isn't it.

Yes it is.....And a whole lot safer than a .50 Cal richochet.:yikes;)

[video=youtube_https;0ABGIJwiGBc]https://youtu.be/0ABGIJwiGBc[/video]

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Yes it is.....And a whole lot safer than a .50 Cal richochet.:yikes;)

[video=youtube_https;0ABGIJwiGBc]https://youtu.be/0ABGIJwiGBc[/video]

That is ONE LUCKY MO FO:eek
He asks, "Am I Bleeding?"
Dude, chances are that if you are bleeding after that there will be no fixing ya!:eek

prosthogod

Reaction score
I let the GOVERNOR rule on snakes!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 6.23.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 6.23.25 PM.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 31