WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rattlesnake Avoidance Training

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kaiya had her yearly refresher training today. I found a different company to use in Phoenix that I am super pleased with. This company uses muzzled rattlesnakes rather than rattlesnakes in a cage, so it provides the most realistic training scenario possible. Way better than any other company I have used. She now knows to avoid rattlesnakes... as well as her previously obtained, and much less useful, knowledge to avoid boxes in the desert that smell and sound like rattlesnakes [emoji849][emoji6] The trainer was super cool too - I'll be using them from now on. [emoji216]

Rattlesnake Ready LLC www.rattlesnakeready.com

20180518_113247-01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Letsride22

Reaction score
Very smart to train the K9's. I know these damn things (snakes) are suppose to have their place in nature and all but I hate em, and they freak my shit out especially when I see vids of the little bastards swimming.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
That's pretty damn cool... and like previously mentioned, rattlesnake muzzler WTF. :eek: Did the snakes still strike? That would have me jumpy, haha. One of our dogs got bit on her snout by a young rattlesnake few years ago. Vet told us there was nothing we could do, nobody around here keeps the anti venom on hand & even then it's a crap shoot if it will work or not. Just give her Benadryl & wait it out. Thought we lost her during the night but by next morning she was doing better & by the afternoon back to her old self. :) What kind of dog is that? :cool:

UAV.Pilot

Reaction score
I was gonna say you are way more brave than I am...last time I was near a rattlesnake I used my pool skimmer poll fully extended 15’ ish and smashed the bastards head in, still I was freaked out...I hate killing things but it came into my yard where the kids play...these things cause serious damage and this year already seems to be swarming with them..
When we lived in Cali I lost my beautiful Australian sheep dog from an adult diamond back, my baby got hit in the face she cried to us and we knew what happened, rushed her to the vet but it was too late...loved that girl!

4Waters

Reaction score
I was gonna say you are way more brave than I am...last time I was near a rattlesnake I used my pool skimmer poll fully extended 15’ ish and smashed the bastards head in, still I was freaked out...I hate killing things but it came into my yard where the kids play...these things cause serious damage and this year already seems to be swarming with them..
When we lived in Cali I lost my beautiful Australian sheep dog from an adult diamond back, my baby got hit in the face she cried to us and we knew what happened, rushed her to the vet but it was too late...loved that girl!
Can't you just call in an air strike. LOL

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
That snake in your boat would be one f’d up deal. It’d be nice to show him the .410 side of “The Judge” while he’s in the water and not alongside.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's pretty damn cool... and like previously mentioned, rattlesnake muzzler WTF. :eek: Did the snakes still strike? That would have me jumpy, haha. One of our dogs got bit on her snout by a young rattlesnake few years ago. Vet told us there was nothing we could do, nobody around here keeps the anti venom on hand & even then it's a crap shoot if it will work or not. Just give her Benadryl & wait it out. Thought we lost her during the night but by next morning she was doing better & by the afternoon back to her old self. :) What kind of dog is that? :cool:

No, the snake didn't try to strike, but it did rattle. I've read that muzzled snakes act differently, kinda defeated, I guess. The good news is that I don't give a shit about the snake's feelings. Lol

Kaiya is an Australian Shepherd [emoji106]
20160929171915_IMG_9506-02-02.jpeg

Last edited:

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I taken my little dog twice and both times they used free range muzzled snakes. She learned fast and retained it the next year. As soon as she encountered the first snake in year two she beat feet out of there,it was obvious that she remembered the correction from year one.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My dog was on leash last weekend and we had one in our driveway next to BBQ, Dog was within 6-8 inches of, glad he didn't know what it was and i seen it and pulled him back the snake didn't strike but the poor snake still got the shovel but i thank him for not biting my dog.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dog was on leash last weekend and we had one in our driveway next to BBQ, Dog was within 6-8 inches of, glad he didn't know what it was and i seen it and pulled him back the snake didn't strike but the poor snake still got the shovel but i thank him for not biting my dog.
Relocated to dead is the only option in my mind. Glad your pupper was unharmed. Might be time for some training in case he isn't on leash next time.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
I went to a Rattle Snake roundup in Apache OK, wish I had pics.
Cooked all different ways, kids walking around with snakes that had there month stitched shut. I understand the fear and have been around them, not a situation I enjoyed!

MillerTime

Reaction score
Thats pretty cool that this kind of training is offered. Our little 5-6 lb chihuahua thinks he's a killer and this kinda training would save his life.
Just this week, he met a skunk (and he still stinks after like 7 baths) he found a box turtle and mountain boomer lizard.
We have a bunch of anti-venom here in OK, but its expensive! I think 12 vials cost me about $77k last year when my daughter got bit by a pigmy.
I don't think our little pup could survive any bite as small as he is!
20180517_190123.jpeg

MrsVP

Reaction score
No way!!!! Aren't they the best?!!!! Pics?

Yes! He's my 4th merle. Great dog, the most hard headed I've had out of all of them, but he's a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 20161231_112239_001.jpg
    20161231_112239_001.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 139

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Do rattlesnake vaccines work?

My wife’s a vet and deals with a lot of rattlesnake bites, so I asked her. Here is what she said:

Vaccine:
You still have to have the wound treated for infection, but the vaccine highly reduces the dogs reaction to the venom. She said they have a super high success rate, and she’s never lost a dog that was vaccinated correctly. She said the once a year vaccine (best in spring) is about 30$.

There is also anti venom for dogs that is super $$$. About 1500$. She said a lot of dogs will still have nerve damage even after the costly anti venom, and that time is the most important part of the equation. She said a lot of vets won’t carry it, and it has a shelf life so don’t always bank on a vet having the anti venom.

Jeff

kiwi77

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's what I heard, the vaccine reduces the mortality rate.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Years ago, took my lab to have him de-snaked. I had never done it before, so I didn't really know what to expect. Found they used de-fanged and de-rattled (for the first round) rattlers to train the dogs (at least at that time). Don't know how, but my dog ran it perfect the first time. The trainers were kinda surprised. He was a smart dog.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool that this kind of training is offered. Our little 5-6 lb chihuahua thinks he's a killer and this kinda training would save his life.
Just this week, he met a skunk (and he still stinks after like 7 baths) he found a box turtle and mountain boomer lizard.
We have a bunch of anti-venom here in OK, but its expensive! I think 12 vials cost me about $77k last year when my daughter got bit by a pigmy.
I don't think our little pup could survive any bite as small as he is! View attachment 646389
Yikes!!! Might wanna get your lil guy trained! I'm sure they probably offer the same training in your area too [emoji106]

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Taking Gracie our goldendoodle today for the second time.

Roxy out pit-border collie has been to about 4 and last time they said no need to bring her back....lol

2Driver

Reaction score
I trained our Chesapeake Bay myself and its amazing how it works.

LOL one day my uncle came up with a 4' brown knotted rope dog toy for him. He tossed it to him and the dog took off in the other direction

I had no idea there was a vaccine. That sound like the way to go. Great looking dog there Mel.

warlock250

Reaction score
A friend of mine was just telling me about snake training his new dog and he knows some old dude that brings a Rattle snake out mikks it and cuts its fangs off and lets the dog encounter it and that snake strikes that dog and thats the last time that dog will go anywhere near one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Richard Pryor has the best way to avoid snake bites..

Check out 3:30 minutes

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Very smart to train the K9's. I know these damn things (snakes) are suppose to have their place in nature and all but I hate em, and they freak my shit out especially when I see vids of the little bastards swimming.
This video was shot in Pastie Cove at Folsom Lake.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I know this isn't the right thread, but it was the first one I found.

Some folks I remember were looking for classes in Havasu. If you have the Facebook, I posted a link on the RDP group page. That Dane Bar, is hosting classes next week it looks like. I can't link to the Facebook, but their website is www.thatdanebar.com or their phone number is 928-733-0860

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't the right thread, but it was the first one I found.

Some folks I remember were looking for classes in Havasu. If you have the Facebook, I posted a link on the RDP group page. That Dane Bar, is hosting classes next week it looks like. I can't link to the Facebook, but their website is www.thatdanebar.com or their phone number is 928-733-0860

An alternate number for the classes is 701-799-8920, Lisa.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
An alternate number for the classes is 701-799-8920, Lisa.
Thanks, it was me looking awhile back after my dog picked up a small rattler in his mouth thinking it was a stick at night. He got lucky and spit it out and I yanked him back. I will give them a call.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I hope they do..my dog gets the annual shot as well as many dogs in our area
They may work but at least are supposed to give you more time. Considering their are no after hours emergency vets in Havasu, your dog has to last long enough for the drive to vegas.

shunter2005

Reaction score
As I stated above, they use de-fanged and de-rattled snakes here for the first stage of de-snaking. After I had my dog done one year, a group of us were standing around talking and watching other dogs go thru the course. Then a guy drove up and got a small little fu-fu type dog out. Brought it over, paid his money and got ready to run it. Everyone perked up and was watching this. One guy says, "This is gonna be good." They put the dog on a long leash and had him sit with the trainer holding it. The owner walks around to the other side about 30ft away with the snake between him and the dog. He then calls the dog. Dog heads out straight for him and thus, the rattler. Gets over to the snake, stops and sniffs. BAM!!! Snake hits him hard right in the snout. Didn't hurt the dog, but it scared the shit out of him. He hauled ass, hollering and whimpering. Owner finally calmed him down and tried to run him again. He never got within 10' of that snake the second time. Slow learner, but he did get the idea.