WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rayson LP engine placement

BadBehavior

Reaction score
I am looking for Pics/opinions of this flatbottom. I am ready to set the BBC in but where it was placed seemed to far back. I am looking to have a good balance with gunnel placed 9 gallon Russels. This will be a 2 seat only v-drive. Later may want to put shorty Powerglide in.
This is intentioned as a "Lake hotrod" and not a drag race setup. Could use some help,
Larry

FlatNv

Reaction score
try v-driveboat.com, I remember reading some info on Don's site.. rayson lp's are cool boats, (got one sitting for a future project) post some pics

Scott

BadBehavior

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, thought this forum was dead! will post pics, can you tell me how, not to computer savvy.

fmo24

Reaction score
when you hit the reply button scroll down to manage attachments . you will hit the browse button and then find the file on your computer and upload from there.

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
Where is Dave Sammons?? I bet he has at least an opinion?
BB,
Need a couple things from you...
Strut angle
Distance from the strut barrel to the transom(or end of plates if they're on it)
Distance from transom to V-Drive plate
Estimated horsepower of engine
Once I can see those numbers...I'll get you close(Be honest on the HP!!!:D:D)
Dave

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Here is a picture off one that I owned back in the day... If I remember the engine was about 33/34" from transom but the memory is shot:grumble: I don't remember the strut angle for sure either but i am guessing it was about 9 degrees. I know, not much help so wait for Sammons. He will set you up...

I hope that you post a build thread for us. I love the LP's and actually have one sitting in the shop right now, but if I start working on it I will be in hot water for sure since I just finished my 20' Rayson:D

Steve

Attachments

• LP Installation Picture 6.jpg
    LP Installation Picture 6.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 454

BadBehavior

Reaction score
First of all Dave, thanks for responding.The reason I'm "picking" on you is you gave another "noob" awhile back, real usable advice. I started this project 3 years ago(time vs. money) with my son. It was a "labor of love." Of course the Old man did most of the labor. I built it from the trailer wheels up to the Tunnel ram. Here are the specs you asked for. Strut angle = 9 degrees, Strut barrel end, to transom =20 1/2 in. ,Plates are = 9 1/4 in. Transom to V-drive plate = 93 1/2 in., 12 degree Casale 15-18 gear. Here's the embarrassing part, 468 BBC, mild Hydraulic roller, duration @.050 is, Int = 218, Exh = 224
lsa =110, best guess HP 350?,This was my sons choice, also a noob, And yes!..., we want to go more SAFE hp when $$$ allows. This asks' the question what is a safe HP limit for this LP? This will be a ski/hotrod, eventually a shorty PG will find its way into the boat. Enough for now and thanks in advance, I hope that all wounds are pain free by now and you are in good health.
Larry

Last edited:

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
I can answer the HP question for you. If the boat is sound you can put all the HP that you want into it... These boats are really strong and heavy so knock yourself out.:thumbsup

Steve

Dave Sammons

Reaction score
First of all Dave, thanks for responding.The reason I'm "picking" on you is you gave another "noob" awhile back, real usable advice. I started this project 3 years ago(time vs. money) with my son. It was a "labor of love." Of course the Old man did most of the labor. I built it from the trailer wheels up to the Tunnel ram. Here are the specs you asked for. Strut angle = 9 degrees, Strut barrel end, to transom =20 1/2 in. ,Plates are = 9 1/4 in. Transom to V-drive plate = 93 1/2 in., 12 degree Casale 15-18 gear. Here's the embarrassing part, 468 BBC, mild Hydraulic roller, duration @.050 is, Int = 218, Exh = 224
lsa =110, best guess HP 350?,This was my sons choice, also a noob, And yes!..., we want to go more SAFE hp when $$$ allows. This asks' the question what is a safe HP limit for this LP? This will be a ski/hotrod, eventually a shorty PG will find its way into the boat. Enough for now and thanks in advance, I hope that all wounds are pain free by now and you are in good health.
Larry
With the horsepower you have...It'd stick the engine in at 33 inches(you could even go 32" if you are going to stay with this engine for a while. You don't want too much weight forward with that little HP or it will not sit back on the rocker and carry the bow) from the transom to the back of the block to start.
Looks like you have everything else in the right place to run up near 700 hp...you will then most likely need to move the engine forward a couple inches so leave yourself room to do that with whatever style engine rails you are going to run.
I am feeling great! Thank you!
Best therapy I've had in a long time was last weekend in Roaddogg's Rayson!!!:D:D

harlanorrin

Reaction score
When considering engine placement I would need to know the strut barrel to transom/ plate length. What style of v-drive bracing is used.
HARLAN ORRIN

BadBehavior

Reaction score
When considering engine placement I would need to know the strut barrel to transom/ plate length. What style of v-drive bracing is used. I'm glad that you jumped in here Harlan. Being a lurker for a good while your Reputation precedes you. I am not sure if this answers your question. I am quoting from the response to Dave "Here are the specs you asked for. Strut angle = 9 degrees, Strut barrel end, to transom =20 1/2 in. ,Plates are = 9 1/4 in." Total I think would be 29 3/4" total.. Hang with me, at 70 I'm a little slow on uptake:grumble: I appreciate your patience and if I am not answering you correctly, please advise it may just be the 'lingo'
No v-drive bracing involved,should this be part of my build??
Thanks in advance,
Larry

BadBehavior

Reaction score
:worthless_1_:Who wanted Pics of Raysoncraft LP? I hope I did this correctly, virgin pic poster:headscratch:

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 259

BadBehavior

Reaction score
try v-driveboat.com, I remember reading some info on Don's site.. rayson lp's are cool boats, (got one sitting for a future project) post some pics

Scott
OK, I am showing now it's your turn!!:D
Larry

FlatNv

Reaction score
Congrats..Looks great Larry!, love the yellow.. I'll post a few of my project a little later
who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks:D (on posting pics)

Scott

FlatNv

Reaction score
my LP, should be a fun project, doesn't need too much... :rolleyes::D

Scott

FlatNv

Reaction score
oops try again

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 231

BadBehavior

Reaction score
Looks good from here! I am always curious what other LP owners plan to do/add to their boats. What you got planned? I spent a good deal on this one but I don't feel I'm done. I want to accent stripe from bow to transom, newer cavitation hardware. MORE HP, I'd like this Lake/Hotrod to at least see 85 gps'd. I am looking for a 588 or a blown 540, am wondering which is best benefit horsepower to dollars. Like to know what is planned, not that your committed to do so:thumbsup
Larry

FlatNv

Reaction score
LP will be budget, I have a mild ls-6 BBC,just be a fun boat that anyone can drive.

Have fun and be safe:thumbsup

Scott

BadBehavior

Reaction score
When considering engine placement I would need to know the strut barrel to transom/ plate length. What style of v-drive bracing is used.
HARLAN ORRIN

Harlan I was only responding to your inquiry??:headscratch:

"I do not do engine installations. It would be best to contact an owner to get information.
HARLAN ORRIN"