WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RD detail tip #1 Vinyl cleaner

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You should condition afterwards but if you want your interior to look new. Pull all the dirt out of the little cracks.. Then in my experience nothing works better.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425869746.467031.jpg

They work harder so you don't have to.. Spray on wipe off and it will be white again.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425869758.233902.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425869805.272196.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425869820.189289.jpg

It's gentle, and easy. Short of a toothbrush and some laundry detergent and a week nothing works better.

More on this later because their is some intermediate cleaners for general wipe down that give you that smell you are looking for.

In the meantime compare it against your favorites and let me know what YOU think. :D. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Get415

Reaction score
Obviously no before picture and I imagine it was pretty clean to start with, but that looks damn good

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Obviously no before picture and I imagine it was pretty clean to start with, but that looks damn good

I haven't done it all yet. I still have the front seats to do. I wiped the base cushions down with three other popular cleaners and compared. They have a yellow tinge to them.. Scrubby bubbles = white on white.

I tried to take pics but it is hard for it to show in pics..

No.. I'm not naming the three. Lol. Scrubby comes out on top is all that matters. Least amount of effort as well.

Not sure if you can see it in the pic or not.. Went over this cushion 3 times with different cleaners. Back seat once with scrubby bubbles. I will be finishing the cushion when my wife gets back from the store with more scrubby bubbles. I only had. A 1/4 can to start with and ran out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425870676.857545.jpg

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Good stuff!

I have some weird hard dirt / stains in the bow section where my cover makes contact with the vinyl. Scrubbing bubbles and some good old Comet lifts out the stains. I do need to give some effort, but eventually it does come out. Now I put a towel over that area before putting on the cover. :grumble:

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Good stuff!

I have some weird hard dirt / stains in the bow section where my cover makes contact with the vinyl. Scrubbing bubbles and some good old Comet lifts out the stains. I do need to give some effort, but eventually it does come out. Now I put a towel over that area before putting on the cover. :grumble:

put white towels down on the affected areas before you put the cover on. Worked for me

Get415

Reaction score
I can't wait to try it. I get that nasty brown tint in the white from the cover or something, until I scrub and scrub with magic eraser and it sits in the sun for a while. I been looking for something to make life easier

TCHB

Reaction score
I am always trying to keep my toon boat interior looking new but it is not easy. Seems like the vinyl holds the dirt.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Detail tip #2. Get yourself one of these..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425871200.840947.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425871217.137318.jpg

Figure out some
Kind of adapter between it and a small to medium shop vac..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425871269.603805.jpg

I machined my own coupler, but I'm sure electrical tape would work as well or duct tape if you got motivated.
(With a wet dry vac you can use carpet cleaners as well)
Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425871331.986076.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
I just got my interior redone this past year and it stays clean but i would be worried about using cleaners that clean very easily and what damage it will eventually do to the vinyl.Currently i will take the cover off here and there and use a lightly wet towel to wipe the dust off from the boat cover.I have one cleaner the shop recomended for marine vinyl and i will use that if needed.

I have used magic eraser on my old interior and i will never use them again sure it cleans good but its like fine sand paper on the vinyl.The parts i used them on the white eventually lost its color.Yes i even used conditioners right after.Use them on a colored section and you will see that color on the pads.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Detail tip number 3.. Don't be that guy. Chords collect dirt and dirt scratches. Put a barrier down. In this case we are using a baby blanket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425871677.774294.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yep scrubbing bubbles is the shiznit on white vinyl for sure

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just got my interior redone this past year and it stays clean but i would be worried about using cleaners that clean very easily and what damage it will eventually do to the vinyl.Currently i will take the cover off here and there and use a lightly wet towel to wipe the dust off from the boat cover.I have one cleaner the shop recomended for marine vinyl and i will use that if needed.

I have used magic eraser on my old interior and i will never use them again sure it cleans good but its like fine sand paper on the vinyl.The parts i used them on the white eventually lost its color.Yes i even used conditioners right after.Use them on a colored section and you will see that color on the pads.

Magic erasers should only be used in desperation. They work but they are abrasive and remove a top layer. I used to use them and like you saw some after results down the road.

I have used this for a number of years with no ill effects yet.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Scrubbing Bubbles also works great on transom soot.

Boat Potato

Reaction score
The scrubbing bubbles won't eventually turn the vinyl yellow? Is there any bleach compounds in it?

sirbob

Reaction score
Is there any beach in scrubbing bubbles? I would be worried about using it on seats / interior with colored threads if it cleans that well?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dunno about the bleach.. All I know is I was at an La boat show once and the Mfg's had brought some used boats. I said "how do you get it to look like that?" Answer "scrubbing bubbles"

Been using it ever since for my once a year detail.. Or hard to get dirt etc.. I use a lot of others throughout the season.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I've got a stain on my back seat too....but it may be one worth keeping, it was created by someone I think will be famous one day.[emoji1] [emoji3] [emoji1]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
After a quick vacuum with attachment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425874258.178994.jpg

The fade around the drivers seat is what it is.. It's an 03. Not as bad on passenger because we run it backwards half the time.

Normally I would steam clean it, but it looks good and I gotta this project finished because it's going in the water pretty quick. I have almost 10 legit work days of cleaning the boat up to this point. (Polishing, waxing etc)

RD

Reaction score
Dave this is up my area of knowledge you need to make sure you use something to put oil back into the seats you are cleaning. What you are using is a Butyl cleaner and will dry thing out over time...just look @ your hands a few days afterwards. Fyi

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave this is up my area of knowledge you need to make sure you use something to put oil back into the seats you are cleaning. What you are using is a Butyl cleaner and will dry thing out over time...just look @ your hands a few days afterwards. Fyi

I condition the hell out of em when I am done.

Sbarry

Reaction score
I condition the hell out of em when I am done.

I know you have to be cautious with what you say in regards to your sponsors, but can you say which conditioner you like best?

Reaction score
I know you have to be cautious with what you say in regards to your sponsors, but can you say which conditioner you like best?
Any lube will do...jk

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
Since I'm not a baller who can afford a new interior very few years I think I'll pass on the scrubbing bubbles.

I've found that every cleaner works at least twice as good if you just have a brush and do a little scrubbing, but like Dave says, it's work. This year I decided I should speed the process and do less work so I got some brushes for the orbital polisher and it takes about 1/4 of the time now to do a better job with the same stuff I've used for years. :thumbup:

I've come to the conclusion that the brown funk that gets in the grain and on the cracks of the seats is suntan lotion and the dust that it catches over time. Not sure there is anything you can do about it to keep it from happening, but using a brush when you clean seems to be the trick for getting rid of it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Since I'm not a baller who can afford a new interior very few years I think I'll pass on the scrubbing bubbles.

I've found that every cleaner works at least twice as good if you just have a brush and do a little scrubbing, but like Dave says, it's work. This year I decided I should speed the process and do less work so I got some brushes for the orbital polisher and it takes about 1/4 of the time now to do a better job with the same stuff I've used for years. :thumbup:

I've come to the conclusion that the brown funk that gets in the grain and on the cracks of the seats is suntan lotion and the dust that it catches over time. Not sure there is anything you can do about it to keep it from happening, but using a brush when you clean seems to be the trick for getting rid of it.

Mine is 11 years old.. Not sure what your definition is of every few years.. But by most people's standard it looks pretty much new.
That's not to say I don't want to have something's done, but I host the Schiada regatta so I want my shit correct when those judgemental fuckers are looking at my shit. Lol.

Long story short you will do more damage with the brush then the spray and wipe. (No joke).

Stacy is back from the store.. We will get into what the EZ Off is for in a minute..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425883026.777428.jpg

You gotta take some shit apart if your getting after a detail..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425883146.893363.jpg

Started hand polishing while I was waiting..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425883095.526116.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So to get back to TX.. The reason I want a new interior..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425884369.142064.jpg

On the passenger seat you can see some of the stitching if you look close.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425884408.362796.jpg

That is the seat most people step on to get in the boat.. :(. Don't step on the f'n seats!! Lol

Danzo

Reaction score
I use Scrubbing bubbles to detail the Leather seats in all my cars. I had a 8 year old Chevy Silverado bucket that needed a bottom (drivers side) leather cover replacement. Ordered it from "The Seat Shop" in Texas. When it arrived it was OEM quality but did not match the other seats. I was pissed until i realized that the non-match was due to years of dirt/oil build up on the other seats. Now I am as anal about my shit as most others, so I remembered on The Seat shops website something about cleaning the leather. Low and behold they recommended "Scrubbing Bubbles". Their process was spray, quick scrub with a rigid plastic brush and wipe, followed by a light water mist and wipe then a leather condition after. My interior never looked that good. Even better then the day i bought the truck. I continue this interior detail every six months religiously. Now I'm sure why, but I have never tried it on my Hallett. Think this is the year ill give a whirl. But like Dave said if you use this cleaner, you MUST condition after. I use all the boat bling products usually. Thanks Dave.

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
There is a brush that's kind of stiff, like something you would use in the kitchen sink, but the one that I clean clean the seats with is soft like a hair brush.

LuckyDaze

Reaction score
I've been using scrubbing bubbles for years too. Works great and haven't had any side affects yet. The interior of my boat is all white.

TCHB

Reaction score
What do the pro detailers use on boat seats?

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Never heard of using Scrubbing Bubbles on upholstery but thought I'd throw in that it comes on sale at Costco once or twice a year in 3 or 4 pack?

sirbob

Reaction score
I've been using scrubbing bubbles for years too. Works great and haven't had any side affects yet. The interior of my boat is all white.

I would love the hear from somebody that has used it on colored thread - mine is black thread on a white. All this talk of conditioning after use has me feeling like its stripping something - I just don't want it to be the color of my threads.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Dave's using the Easy-Off for, but make sure it's not the yellow can...:D

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The wife has been using scrubbing bubbles for years in the house and on the boat seats. No ill effects at all. There are two different one's by the same manufacturer, one with bleach and one without. Under her sink are a bottle of each.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a stain on my back seat too....but it may be one worth keeping, it was created by someone I think will be famous one day.[emoji1] [emoji3] [emoji1]

stfn.gif

Sonofa.... I KNEW when I opened this thread I would see this somewhere... LOL

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Ammonium Chlorides have many uses.For sure Bleach is not mixed with ammonium,killer fumes that can knock you down fast and never mixed in commercial products,only when people think mixing will make a great cleaner like cleaning up a filthy shower,no ventilation and lights out when you inhale it. Bubbles is safe.

UNFORTUNATELY we all learned this here at my office. A fellow co-worker was found dead in his tub after mixing a few different cleaning products. Cooked his lungs. VERY sad.

How about if you mix pool chlorine, and the acid. Heard its mustard gas.......that's pretty scary.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Don't pour brake fluid on granulated chlorine - like pool chlorine, it'll spontaneously combust. Don't know when the 2 products would be together, but if they are, don't mix them.

Your RDP safety tip of the day!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I like the creamy kind that you work into the seats with your hands, and then buff off.. Eagle used to make some that I loved for leather and vinyl but I can't find it anymore.

I haven't ever really done any SXS comparisons of them.. I just use whatever I have in the garage, and if it doesn't work then I go buy something.

For today's purposes I used PBC vinyl condition, and then followed it up with Adams. I spend quite a bit of time on this part.. Each seat cushion takes about 15 minutes going over it 4-5 times.. After it is al uniform I let it sit overnight and then will do it once more.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425942317.622924.jpg

While looking through my cabinet for something else I found this, and am going to give it a try today..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425942366.887307.jpg

Toolman

Reaction score
The guy that did our seats recomended lanolin (spelling?) after cleaning.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Someone told me easy off oven cleaner strips anno.. I guess we will find out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425968654.259813.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As suspected.. It does not. Lol. Guess I will go the long way around.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I've read somewhere that A/C coil cleaner works for stripping anno. No personal experience though.