WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RDP Dogma

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Google Images:
5BDD102B-1960-4A79-94AF-A3D600BA7AD5.jpeg
E531467E-5381-46F5-AA4F-E44A9CA47822.jpeg

The wife and I were driving in the high forested area on Benton Rd in Mammoth last week.

A Burro packed in full camping gear stepped out of a trail head and stopped on the shoulder.
The Burro looked really cool decked out sharply in 782 gear.
County Fair ready to be judged with a proud, happy look on its face. Well, maybe an arrogant look.

So we stopped to snap a pic as did others. Then suddenly a gigantic Great Pyrénées dog appeared and told us to beat it. No pics just get outta here.
A back up dog agreed too and stood between the Burro and a heard of sheep one of the dogs eyes on each.

So now the wife wants this kinda dog.
Anyone have experience with the Great Pyrénées breed?

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Large breed
Great with the family
They are a herd protection breed so they can have strong protection tendancies
Pretty mellow but still athletic
Awesome dogs if they fit within the family dynamic.
Double coated breed that do blow coat multiple times per year

Reactions: TPC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Such huge dogs. I wouldn't to have to feed or pick up after one! lol

My friends mom used to breed em. They are gigantic lap dogs. :rolleyes:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks.
Reason I ask is I really wanted a Big Bloodhound.
Boat cop said words to the effect it’s a unique dog for enthusiasts that are keen on the breed.

So we ask about before we move.
I have a feeling wife will move forward on this dog.

Is there a seat belt kinda car restraint system for dog riding in the back of,, say an SUV?

spectras only

Reaction score
https://themysteriousworld.com/10-largest-dog-breeds-in-the-world/
Great Pyrenees listed as largest dogs in the world.

My favourite dog is the Kuvasz. What I like about them is, they have odorless white coat.
They're cousins with the Komondor, both dogs were protective of herds of livestock in Europe, fighting off wolves.
Little guy
Kuvasz_Prince_Filhote_1.jpg

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Make sure to get an oversized pooper scooper thrown in the deal.
Dogs rule!

spectras only

Reaction score
Another thing about Kuvasz, being a large dog, it needs much less food than comparably sized dogs.;)
img_DogBreed-Kuvasz.jpg

Personality:
Kuvasz are guarding dogs, so they can be somewhat suspicious of strangers and protective of family and home (be that family a flock of 100 sheep or two small children). They do want to be a part of a family and can be excellent family dogs if given proper training and socialization right from the start. Kuvasz have a good sense of humor and can be independent as fits their heritage. These are intelligent dogs and, with the inborn independence, require a firm hand in training and extensive socialization.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Google Images:
View attachment 800068 View attachment 800067
The wife and I were driving in the high forested area on Benton Rd in Mammoth last week.

A Burro packed in full camping gear stepped out of a trail head and stopped on the shoulder.
The Burro looked really cool decked out sharply in 782 gear.
County Fair ready to be judged with a proud, happy look on its face. Well, maybe an arrogant look.

So we stopped to snap a pic as did others. Then suddenly a gigantic Great Pyrénées dog appeared and told us to beat it. No pics just get outta here.
A back up dog agreed too and stood between the Burro and a heard of sheep one of the dogs eyes on each.

So now the wife wants this kinda dog.
Anyone have experience with the Great Pyrénées breed?
Pic of the burro?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Make sure to get an oversized pooper scooper thrown in the deal.
Dogs rule!
Wife’s family ranch has pet draft horses.
No shovels. Bobcat part of the livery.
Should I sell her that we need one?

Last edited:

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
They are named after the Pyrenees Mountains in France. We had two, the one on the left she passed away at 10.5 years, the one on the right is 6.5 years old, our female was at 90 lbs and the male is x-large at 155 lbs. The female would only bark to let you know something was wrong and the big male will bark at anything the moves. The male dog is very protective of the home and yard, away from this is he is the most friendly dog , he goes to Home Depot with me all the time. But do not let off the dog leash.
Must have patience when training because it is a challenge , mine will do what he's wants, on his time. He will sometimes takes a few seconds to follow a command. Very independent.
All in all I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

There is a rescue in San Bernardo area. Great Pyrenees Assoc. of So. CA Rescue https://www.greatpyrrescue.org/
This is a Great Pyrenees breeder in Hesperia..... https://pyrpacker.biz/

IMG_8325 (2).JPG
IMG_1607.jpg

Last edited:

lebel409

Reaction score
I had a blue tick coon hound as a kid...he was great except during a full moon. He'd bay for hours, and OKies would come by and knock on the door at 10pm asking to buy the dog.

GP and Rotties are similar, herd dog, protective.

MY opinion...I always feel bad about long haired dogs in Socal.

LAPII

Reaction score
You should check out the “Boerboel”......mine is an excellent all around dog. I got him from Banderaboerboels.com.....short hair a lot less upkeep on grooming. They are a South African mastiff.