WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RDP group shoot/ training?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of us RDP clowns would be interested in meeting up at the range for some Pistol and carbine training and exchange of techniques?

Since moving to Havasu, It’s been awhile since I had the opportunity to challenge myself by shooting with some true high speed, low drag shooters. I feel the need to re-up my game and I bet I’m not the only one.

Anyone else feeling the need?

DLC

Reaction score
I would be interested as long as its cool And not blazing hot!

I probably won’t be back for a couple weeks.

Reactions: DWC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If anyone wants to learn to to smoke a clay bird...

I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Ted

Reach out to my dad i'm sure he would love to tag along and learn some stuff.

DLC

Reaction score
Setting up a series of drills say 4-5 stations and having some move and shoot would be really cool!

that might be after some basic shooting drills

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Setting up a series of drills say 4-5 stations and having some move and shoot would be really cool!

that might be after some basic shooting drills
I might need some basic, basic drills. :oops:

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I can put together an AZ CCW class for any and all RDP inmates who want to attend. Just need to know when most can attend. If there is a group over 6, we can use the store in the evening

I can do the shoot and move and basic stuff still but might need another range staff person if the group becomes too large.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I can put together an AZ CCW class for any and all RDP inmates who want to attend. Just need to know when most can attend. If there is a group over 6, we can use the store in the evening

I can do the shoot and move and basic stuff still but might need another range staff person if the group becomes too large.
My son would be interested in ccw class

DLC

Reaction score
I’ll be out In havasu 9/25 - 10/18. if you want to Try to schedule Something

id be up for a CCW class

Bobby V

Reaction score
If anyone wants to learn to to smoke a clay bird...

I'd be more than happy to oblige.
Didn’t we go bird for bird a couple years ago with YoPengo Desert Storm weekend a couple years ago. :p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Didn’t we go bird for bird a couple years ago with YoPengo Desert Storm weekend a couple years ago. :p
Good times! Who's house did we meet at? Mr Havasu or something like that? Nice guy. 👍

I started a new thread so as not to hijack this one...

37 boat

Reaction score

Wife and I would be interested in this.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Where do you find clays now days?
Dunno. I have cases of them in stock, so I haven't had to buy any in ages. Walmart used to have pretty good pricing. All the sporting goods stored used to stock em as well.

Nobody has any in stock anymore??

DLC

Reaction score
It’s good to have a few cases around the house for just in case....

wallmart had some a couple trips ago

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Well, this thread took off! 😎

It seems I need to find the right day ( or eve) to put on a CCW class; then schedule a basic handgun range day; then a basic carbine day; then a friendly challenge shoot day; then - what did I forget? Lol

It might be easier if all interested come to the house on a Sunday morning with their respective calendars and ideas.

What say Ye?

DWC

Reaction score
I am right there with you!!!!
Definitely a fish out of water with the RDM (River Dave Militia) group. I haven’t shot a gun since i was 13ish. 40 years later i figured it’s time. I have my dad’s old 9 and just got my Glock this week. I call it my gl-rock because i can’t find ammo so it’s basically a rock. Picking up a brand new Mossberg from a co-worker the next time he’s in town. Looking forward to the new hobby this fall.. Hoping they all don’t fall off the boat @LargeOrangeFont 😀

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Dunno. I have cases of them in stock, so I haven't had to buy any in ages. Walmart used to have pretty good pricing. All the sporting goods stored used to stock em as well.

Nobody has any in stock anymore??
Local Walmart says they come from China and they haven't had any for months. I have two boxes.

montaj629

Reaction score
Well, this thread took off! 😎

It seems I need to find the right day ( or eve) to put on a CCW class; then schedule a basic handgun range day; then a basic carbine day; then a friendly challenge shoot day; then - what did I forget? Lol

It might be easier if all interested come to the house on a Sunday morning with their respective calendars and ideas.

What say Ye?
You have access to a range or head out to the desert and set up?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Just to be clear, this is not a militia theme! I just want to get back to some fun and practical shooting.

For shooting I prefer to use the Havasu Sportsman Club in Sara Park. But if the days group is too large, the desert works. For the CCW classes, I’d use the gun shop.

EBT531

Reaction score
You may need to meet in the desert or rent the entire range for real training. Most ranges aren't going to let you work draws, movements etc..

ssc

Reaction score
I and other friends use to have get-togethers in order to introduce people to shooting/guns. Sometimes we had them in the desert or at ranges or during IPSC/USPSC matches. We always had a safety briefing and made the overall experience fun and entertaining. I used to say that if you arrive with 10 fingers we want you to leave with all 10. Did many get togethers for members of various 4x4 clubs I wheeled with.

My BG was training from my Pop's who was an old time Deputy and then training courtesy of our Federal government. Been an active competitive shooter since the 80's. ( Hi Power, combat pistol, 2 gun, 3 gun, short range carbine, USPSA ) Been a very active USPSA shooter and still hold an A class cert. Have taken a few classes over the years.

Stopped shooting competition July 2019 due to health issues, but still shoot and run drills. Took a lot of new folks and invited them to shoot a USPSA match. I had a great cohesive squad back in my Norco running gun days. Safety was serious, but other than that they got indoctrinated within our group, which meant we gave them instruction on basic marksmanship, gun handling skills and an enormous amount of hazing. We always had plenty of guns, ammo and gear for them to try and if they had fun on a stage, sometimes we would let them reshoot stages to try out different guns, gear or techniques.

They got a boatload of things to learn: Grip, stance, trigger control, recoil management, sight alignment, strong hand and weak hand shooting, plus mag changes and shooting on the move. This was all done in a fun, safe environment. Of course they needed a thick skin for the laughs. After the match we always had time for more shooting and it wasn't unusual for us to have over 60 different guns for them to try. Anything from simple single stack 1911's to full race guns and revolvers both SA and DA from .22 to 454 casul. Long guns from .22's to 50BMG and pump shotguns to SA shotty's full race.

Not sure what I can add to the get together, but if I am in Havasu at the time it is scheduled, I would like to look into it. I am a member of the sportsman club. My SIL (who is LVMPD) came down with my grandsons a few months ago and we put over 2,000 rounds downrange with numerous M4's, .22, 38 super and 9mm. Great day.

Cheers, Steve

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
You may need to meet in the desert or rent the entire range for real training. Most ranges aren't going to let you work draws, movements etc..
We have training privileges at the Sportsman Club, but that has limitations.

How about I start off by asking who wants an AZ CCW course and what day/date we can get most of us together?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I need to set my Dad up to offer these classes. He's in Glynco georgia right now teaching use of force and has also been a firearm instructor for years. Going to finally retire (supposedly) around June and hang it up in Havasu. But there is no way he can sit at home lol. Setting stuff like this up would be perfect for him.

Reactions: ssc

DMF

Reaction score

How about I start off by asking who wants an AZ CCW course and what day/date we can get most of us together?
DMF +1 for CCW

ssc

Reaction score
I need to set my Dad up to offer these classes. He's in Glynco georgia right now teaching use of force and has also been a firearm instructor for years. Going to finally retire (supposedly) around June and hang it up in Havasu. But there is no way he can sit at home lol. Setting stuff like this up would be perfect for him.
Outstanding. I assume he is at FLETC. I received my minimal training via Fed at Seal Beach Naval Weapons station. The SA had been a teacher at FLETC.

Cheers, Steve

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Outstanding. I assume he is at FLETC. I received my minimal training via Fed at Seal Beach Naval Weapons station. The SA had been a teacher at FLETC.

Cheers, Steve
Correct! Prior to this one he was at the one in Artesia.

DWC

Reaction score

In 100%. Pretty much any weekend

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My son just about any day at this time.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Any of you guys Front Sight members? Maybe we can plan a RDP FS class date...

77charger

Reaction score
sounds like fun.We use to go to calico often with family and friends and i bought a few steel targets and a dueling tree made for some fun shoot comptetions among us.Now that i moved to az probably wont be headed back to ca for desert shoots anymore.

And shooting steel is way better than paper for sure no worries about wind blowing paper or cardboard around steel had the good ring you just know you hit it especially for the far targets too.