WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RDP Plumbers.....Opinion needed on main line inspection

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We got a sewer camera inspection (main line) for our new house in escrow, and it had 2 issues:

One-way flap valve is stuck in open posiiton (located 19' from cleanout)
The home is located on a slight hill, so some of the city sewer is located above the level of the home as the street continues uphill. Is the one-way valve a big deal? Seems like it would be needed should the sewer down-stream backup and water would attempt to backfill into the houses as the city sewer levels rise. That would be an absolute shit-storm, but seems unlikely - we are talking about the entire city sewer line becoming obstructed downstream and attempting to flood all the houses.​
Document1.jpg

Main line has an "offset" where the ABS connects to clay (located 63' from cleanout).
The main line is ABS, not sure if replaced or original. Home was built in '76. ABS line is in good shape, but has an issue where it connects to clay (assuming this is the city section? ) at 63' from cleanout. The inspector says the camera shows an offset in the connection. To me, it looks like the Clay pipe is thicker, and you can see the rim where the thicker pipe has a smaller ID. I could be wrong....i'm not a plumber. The other issue, is there are some roots at this location, i'm assuming the connection seeps a bit and roots have found the water. How is this connection typically made from ABS to Clay? Rubber boot? Those can be hydrojetted but its probably a future maintanance issue​
Document2.jpg
Document3.jpg
How concerned should I be, do I need to ask for a main line repair for these items? I don't want to blow escrow up (market is hot, they may refuse to fix) but I also dont want to get stuck with 5k of main line and concrete repair. The main line doesnt have standing water or any other issues (except at connection to street) and there are no issues with how it functions currently.​
What say ye?​

Singleton

Reaction score
Get it fixed Now!
my sewer line post close caused a backup. Since the selling realtor know about tree root issues, but did not disclose I took them to court, since my house flooded (black water), 10 days into ownership.

we settled for 50% of repair cost. Total cost was 15k to fix sewer line issues.
house damage was over 25k, covered by my homeowners

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Shit flows downhill. I wouldn’t consider a house where shit had to flow uphill.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Shit flows downhill. I wouldn’t consider a house where shit had to flow uphill.

We are on a hill, sewer flows downhill. What I was saying, is that there are houses uphill from us (and below us). There is a sewer line that serves the entire street.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Get it fixed Now!
my sewer line post close caused a backup. Since the selling realtor know about tree root issues, but did not disclose I took them to court, since my house flooded (black water), 10 days into ownership.

we settled for 50% of repair cost. Total cost was 15k to fix sewer line issues.
house damage was over 25k, covered by my homeowners

Damn!!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
We are on a hill, sewer flows downhill. What I was saying, is that there are houses uphill from us (and below us). There is a sewer line that serves the entire street.

Oh. I’d have it fixed before you move in. We failed to scope ours and it backed up our 2nd day in the house.

Singleton

Reaction score

I had to re-pipe / line entire sewer to city connection (Apx 85 feet from house).
carlsbad, CA changed the rules back in 2007 and home owner is responsible for sewer to city connection and not just the drop. Had to rebuild entire drop (15’ under sidewalk).
it was a total PIA.
only thing that saved me is all 4 neighbors stated they told selling agent house had history of sewer line issues due to tree root from tree removed during remodel. All 4 were going on record and willing to testify if I took it too court.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Anyone know if the backflow valves are cleanable or accessable without major demo? Are they usually located in a box or with a cleanout above? Seems like they are located close to house so shouldn't be too deep

NicPaus

Reaction score
Ask for a credit to add a new backflow valve close to house so not to deep to dig. The offset is normal where abs meets clay. The old backflow valve stuck open should be fine. It is rare that the city would back up but can happen.

Plumber buddy was jetting a house and it was main line in street backed up not there main like they thought. He flooded the neighbors house which was at a low point.