WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RDP wants to be involved with waterski racing..

R

Retired Member

It's not always easy, regardless of class. I don't think anyone is trying to make it sound like rocket science, but skier safety should always be foremost.

n95432542560_803.jpg

I am proud to say that I never had a skier injured either while I was driving the boat or observing, and there were occasions that I pulled skiers up to and over 100 mph, both with my boat and others that I was trusted to drive. I trained with Corey Cook for several years, made me a better skier for sure. I even also built some of the engines that pulled him and others.

Not saying I was one of the best, but I had some great races, great times, great fun, met a lot of good people. Should be fun to work with some of you guys and pass on some of my experience(s).

I am bustin aRDy's balls. We are gonna go skiing this weekend. He said if he has to learn to ski (faster), so he can drive or observer, then he wants to ski first. He's gonna find out just how easy it is this weekend. LOL :D

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
wheres this gonna be? i might be in for a sunday session....i'll be a guinny pig too,lol.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I am bustin aRDy's balls. We are gonna go skiing this weekend. He said if he has to learn to ski (faster), so he can drive or observer, then he wants to ski first. He's gonna find out just how easy it is this weekend. LOL :D

I can see what's going on,, that's why I posted that particular photo, it's not always fun and games, is it?

PS,, don't hurt RD,, we kind of like RDP!

R

Retired Member

I can see what's going on,, that's why I posted that particular photo, it's not always fun and games, is it?

aRDy doesn't run RDP, he's just the ego behind it. :D:D:D

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

Forensic and TBI can run it in RD's absence :skull

jody165

Reaction score
OK, he called and is coming by to borrow my personal 360 and a bridle for Parker this coming weekend. That sounds like a full commitment from Dave ;) Can't back out now.

I can't be there but you boys take it easy on our buddy now:D.

knuckle head

Reaction score
OK, he called and is coming by to borrow my personal 360 and a bridle for Parker this coming weekend. That sounds like a full commitment from Dave ;) Can't back out now.

He has to get up before Dennis takes it easy on him :D

obnoxious001

Reaction score

Check for handle dings before you loan it out???

R

Retired Member

He has to get up before Dennis takes it easy on him :D

Check for handle dings before you loan it out???

I won't let him wrap up till I see he is profficient enough on the ski.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I won't let him wrap up till I see he is profficient enough on the ski.

He can't ski social or pro social wrapped anyway, and handle dings would come from trying to get him out of the water?

R

Retired Member

He can't ski social or pro social wrapped anyway, and handle dings would come from trying to get him out of the water?

True, but handle dings are completely different the the dings, or should I say holes, from Chazz bridles.

D

Deleted Account

True, but handle dings are completely different the the dings, or should I say holes, from Chazz bridles.

Didn't we do all this stuff like 15 years ago?:thumbsup Some things stay the same...:D:champagne:

Oz Dude

Reaction score

HAHA - holes is right! We were looking at one of my guys ski on Saturday and it's got chunks out of it ! It was his first season and until he perfected his starts it wasn't pretty. Having a binding strap come loose and smack crap out of the back of the ski didn't help either :D

RD - you've got the right attitude toward all this - excitement - and you've got some good guys around you with way more experience than most people start off with so you'll be well looked after. The two things to remember with ski racing are safety and fun. It really is that simple. Definitely not rocket science, just procedure and knowledge and FUN :champagne:

Personally I think if you could get more awareness out there, people would start coming in to the sport. The more people, the more friends get to find out, and some of them join too. Aussies may take for granted just how much we're into the sport but when you see people who have been in it 30-40-50 years it reminds you just how much we really love it and I think you'll have a blast!

I was talking with one of my skiers this morning. He only started last year (start of our season just finished). His dad last raced nearly 20 years ago and was in the sport when we had 300 boats show up to compete in the Sydney Bridge Race. Well his dad has now jumped in the observer's seat and they are racing together - that's not something that a lot of sports can boast - a father and son in the same team on the course at the same time, and both having an awesome time.

Oh, and as for being competitive, that skier has also been behind 2 other boats this season, and has walked away with 2 tophies in his first year... a 3rd and a 1st!

Oz

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Having a binding strap come loose and smack crap out of the back of the ski didn't help either :D

One trick for that is use a rubber band made from a section of bicycle inner tube. If a strap does come loose, it won't dangle in the water, possibly get ripped off, damage the ski, or try to drag the skier down with it.

Oz Dude

Reaction score
Yeah, they work awesome...when you remember to feed the strap THROUGH it :) and yeah, it dragged for a minute almost pulling him off, then it played "smack the ski and his leg" until he threw his ropes. He learned after that...

Oz

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Yeah, they work awesome...when you remember to feed the strap THROUGH it :) and yeah, it dragged for a minute almost pulling him off, then it played "smack the ski and his leg" until he threw his ropes. He learned after that...

Oz

That's just part of the observer's job. Not bad for the skier to watch him and smack his helmet if he forgets!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Dennis just because I'm good at everything I try... that doesn't make me arrogant. :D :D

Can you ski?

RD
RD...We'll be out this weekend w/a host of talented drivers & OB's at my house and Chandler's. I would be happy to give you a jerk and have a good OB along. I disagree on the "waiting to wrap-up" stuff however. It makes life much easier, especially getting out of the water and it's just better all-around. You don't need to go 50MPH (or 40MPH for that matter), regular ski speed is where you need to be to figure out a things. Give me a ring on my cell if you decide to come down. 323 864 5419
________
Preteen angels

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We will be out there for sure thsi weekend.. Saturday morning is when I'm going to go and try this dealio out.. I figure about 15 minutes later I'll be too tired and sore to even lift a beer. :D

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think imageshack is having some problems.. It'll fix itself pretty soon. :D

As far as the slowing down.. I wouldn't expect ya too. I wouldn't slow down for you either. :D

RD

jody165

Reaction score
Not bad for the skier to watch him and smack his helmet if he forgets!

Tru dat...I've smacked a couple helmets in my day :D ..won't name names.

But was lucky enough to have good observers for the last part of my short career, Dennis Hall, Terry Cook and even Barry a couple times. You can push yourself harder if you are more comfortable with your observer, although I usually just cruised ;)

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score

But was lucky enough to have good observers for the last part of my short career, Dennis Hall, Terry Cook and even Barry a couple times. You can push yourself harder if you are more comfortable with your observer, although I usually just cruised ;)
Hey Jody, U left me out in the OB catagory. We ran a few good ones also.
________
High &Amp; Low Blood Pressure Forums

Last edited:

jody165

Reaction score
Hey Jody, U left me out in the OB catagory. We ran a few good ones also.

Denny, you might be thinking Jody Campbell, my name is Jody Martin. I've met you at the river once or twice when I used to go there alot with Brett Stark. I think you were involved before me, maybe took a break while I was involved (mid to late 90's) and then back in. Anyway, I hung around with Glen Kilroy and also Barry and Corey and a few others. Most are out of the sport now. Always liked your 20 Schiada running around Parker. The river is just too far for me now that I have a family. I'm trying to use the ocean 4 miles from me instead of driving 5 hours with little kids....:hmm

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Trust me, I am not slowing down for you.;)

Unless Dennis has changed, as soon as gets up he's gonna want everything the boat has (with nice water), then he gets wore out real quick.:skull So just cruise him around dam to dam a couple times instead...:D:thumbsup:skull

obnoxious001

Reaction score

I think I have a 1st place observer's plaque on my wall still from the 1st (and only) annual international race at Elsinore, you and Mike Hunsucker I think?

jody165

Reaction score
I think I have a 1st place observer's plaque on my wall still from the 1st (and only) annual international race at Elsinore, you and Mike Hunsucker I think?

That's right, we won that race :thumbsup..."19 and over men" class. Didn't Cliff pull us?

boat527

Reaction score
Hay Barry,

If you still speak with Mike.. Let him know I said Hi!!

We had a Great race in the mini @ Parker behind your old 001...Me behind the 527.

Side by side the whole race.. LOTS of fun.. My first race back after my Femur healed... Oh, the good ol days.

Dave

obnoxious001

Reaction score
That's right, we won that race :thumbsup..."19 and over men" class. Didn't Cliff pull us?

Hay Barry,

If you still speak with Mike.. Let him know I said Hi!!

We had a Great race in the mini @ Parker behind your old 001...Me behind the 527.

Side by side the whole race.. LOTS of fun.. My first race back after my Femur healed... Oh, the good ol days.

Dave

See, old ski racers never die. Jody, that was Cliff in that race, you are right.

Dave, I tried to get one of my friends to buy your boat, but he wanted something slower and crappy instead!

I drove good races next to both of you guys, I won't forget the one I pulled Mike next to Jody up the 1st chute at the Parker marathon, running around 75 mph or so,, fairly fast for novice skiers. Seems like Jody got put in the water trying to pull away from us!

boat527

Reaction score
We got a crappy start... I was in the middle , gave the ups and saw someone next to me go end over end... Johnny Towle ( my observer) said we did close to 90 for about a mile trying to catch you guys!!! Fun , Fun..

jody165

Reaction score
Barry, I think you and Murray are talking about the same race, it was a mini at Parker. I did try to go and pull away from both of you around Riverland....seemed like a good idea at the time but I was resting my front leg in the glassy water (stupid thing to do) and kinda weighting on my back leg...and stepped off when we hit a tiny roller. Damn it....

Sure seemed like alot faster than 75 down that first chute...

Are we highjacking this thread?

Last edited:

Oz Dude

Reaction score
RD - don't forget to shave your ankles and "tape up". You're gonna look secsy with shaved ankles :D:bananna::D

Oz

obnoxious001

Reaction score
RD - don't forget to shave your ankles and "tape up". You're gonna look secsy with shaved ankles :D:bananna::D

Oz

I never shaved mine,, man up and just yank the tape!

I am going to go out on a limb and say he won't need his ankles taped with a Maha 360. I put a little on just to keep the binding from rubbing the skin off when I go "social" skiing.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry, I think you and Murray are talking about the same race, it was a mini at Parker. I did try to go and pull away from both of you around Riverland....seemed like a good idea at the time but I was resting my front leg in the glassy water (stupid thing to do) and kinda weighting on my back leg...and stepped off when we hit a tiny roller. Damn it....

Sure seemed like alot faster than 75 down that first chute...

Are we highjacking this thread?

I recall some discussion right after the race. Terry Cook was in my boat, can't recall what RPM I was pulling Mike at, but wasn't working the boat real hard. Funny how speed is always faster in the skier's mind, might have been 76 or so? lol Would be fun to have a video interview of RD immediately after his ride!

Oz Dude

Reaction score
I never shaved mine,, man up and just yank the tape!

I am going to go out on a limb and say he won't need his ankles taped with a Maha 360. I put a little on just to keep the binding from rubbing the skin off when I go "social" skiing.

Barry, smack youself in the forehead repeatedly... You just ruined a perfectly good opportunity to see RD with shaved ankles :D

RD - once you convert over to a race ski, get one of the guys to show you how to tape up cause it will help with rubbing from the binding as well as providing a little relief in your ankles from the higher loads they'll be under.

Oz

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry, smack youself in the forehead repeatedly... You just ruined a perfectly good opportunity to see RD with shaved ankles :D

RD - once you convert over to a race ski, get one of the guys to show you how to tape up cause it will help with rubbing from the binding as well as providing a little relief in your ankles from the higher loads they'll be under.

Oz

I could go back and delete my post? I could tell him about pre-wrap also, but no fun in that?

Actually, when I got taped to race, my front and rear feet were taped into close to the respective angles they would be at in the bindings.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have been drug behind a boat or two ;)
LOL... Step up!

I went and picked up the 360 last night and a bridal.. I'm kinda countin on H20Ski2drunk for everything else. ;)

Saturday morning is going to be interesting for sure.. I was messing around with the wrap last night, and it's a bit awkward at first, but I'd think getting up with a wrap would be lightyears easier then getting up traditionally? Skiing with a wrap seems like it'd take a lot less effort as well.

either way I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend. :)

RD

R

Retired Member

LOL... Step up!

I went and picked up the 360 last night and a bridal.. I'm kinda countin on H20Ski2drunk for everything else. ;)

Saturday morning is going to be interesting for sure.. I was messing around with the wrap last night, and it's a bit awkward at first, but I'd think getting up with a wrap would be lightyears easier then getting up traditionally? Skiing with a wrap seems like it'd take a lot less effort as well.

either way I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend. :)

RD

Now the training begins. Hook the rope end of the bridle to a secure object, like a door (with the door open and the striking edge facing you), now get into wrapped skiing position and do 50 squats, then switch your back foot to the front and vice-versa, then 50 more squats.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Now the training begins. Hook the rope end of the bridle to a secure object, like a door (with the door open and the striking edge facing you), now get into wrapped skiing position and do 50 squats, then switch your back foot to the front and vice-versa, then 50 more squats.

Any takers on how many squats will actually be done?? before hes laying on the floor weezing and reaching for a pack of smokes?

Mondorally

Reaction score

Easy there Mr. Demanding.... Why don't you just ask him to finish the boat show report while you're at it???

:p