WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RE: Competitive V-drive trailer re-build Leaf Spring Question ?

Groper

Reaction score
Older Competitive Trailer but in pretty good shape that looks like it's never seen saltwater or even a launch ramp (21RC) for that matter. :D

With the cost/time of building a new trailer i'll be replacing hub's, brakes to Disc, fenders, leaf springs, bunks, winch/post/bow perch assembly and paint.

With the boat on the trailer the leaf's are almost flat and the trailer's prop guard is about 3" off the ground and as you know hit everything and everywhere.

Q.1: The leaf's are a (4) pack maybe 2000# with no stamps or tags, i'll assume that the axles are 3500#, right.

Q.2: I'm thinking of going up on the leaf's to a (5) pack 2500# to help with the squatting and get the ass end off the ground, has anyone done this.

Thanks in advance, ohh but I need an answer asap to order the leafs.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
IF you aren't dragging that prop guard you're too high :)

A 5 pack is pretty beefy, four 2500LB springs gives you a Heavy Duty trailer. The springs will only travel an inch or so, I run a 3 pack spring (1500lb) on my Spectra V-drive but it's a triple and I went with a pretty narrow spring to keep the tire gap close and run a 96" fender. The arch and rate can /will change with your spacing. if you are replacing existing springs see if you can compare what you have to a new set, see if they are flat or if that is just arch they came with, if the trailer hasn't seen a lot of use the springs are probably good. How much gap from the guard to the rudder is there, maybe its just too deep and you can gain clearance there.

Backlash

Reaction score
Groper, does your trailer currently have wheels installed on the bottom of the prop guard? If not, add them while you are doing the work.

Call Arrow Trailer Supply in Ontario and see if the guys in the shop can point you in the right direction. They sometimes have parts on hand that could work. 👍

84miller

Reaction score
I need to do some adjustments to my v-drive trailer. I am looking to bag the axles as it seems to be the best alternative for me along with a huge savings in cost. The bags are $119.00 each, remove the leaf springs, trailer becomes independent suspension. My need is to raise the backend of the trailer 3 to 4 inches while on the road. My estimate from trailer dealers to raise it 1 inch is 3K...this is keeping the leaf springs...placing 1" metal plates under the bunk supports...going from 14" to 15" tires. So look into bags and let me know what you think.

Groper

Reaction score
20210527_102003.jpg

If I could get the springs not to squat so much and keep the ass end up 3+" I should be good to go.

I am replacing the springs in their original location the springs are 1-3/4" x 26" eye to eye with the boat off the trailer they spring back up to their normal shape, they're probably tired of having the Boat sitting on them for 40+yrs.

LOL they installed the Prop & Rudder guards on the outside of the Prop & rudder so I plan on adding a 1/4" x 3 flat bar directly underneath them.

Yes there are wheels underneath the lower part of the frame.

I'll look into the air bags but there's more than just adding the Bags, you'll need trailing arms like the torsion spring set up.

Backlash

Reaction score
Groper, you could also give Deaver Springs a call and see if they can do one of two things for you. See if they can re-arch your current springs to essentially give them a little more lift. If not, what would they charge you to build a new set of leaf springs for your application with slightly more lift than your current springs? I haven't priced their work in a long time, so I don't know if they would be willing to do that work, or how much they would charge.

Backlash

Reaction score
I need to do some adjustments to my v-drive trailer. I am looking to bag the axles as it seems to be the best alternative for me along with a huge savings in cost. The bags are $119.00 each, remove the leaf springs, trailer becomes independent suspension. My need is to raise the backend of the trailer 3 to 4 inches while on the road. My estimate from trailer dealers to raise it 1 inch is 3K...this is keeping the leaf springs...placing 1" metal plates under the bunk supports...going from 14" to 15" tires. So look into bags and let me know what you think.

84 Miller, that price seems a little bit high for that type of work. I would think you could basically install taller spring hangers which would lower the springs down from the frame rails. Then use the existing springs and you wouldnt have to do anything to the bunks. Upsize the wheels like you mentioned, then see where you'd have to hang the fenders. Just my .02.

Groper

Reaction score
Thanks Backlash,

After taking a few measurement's and talking to Arrow Trailers I'll replace the Leaf's with the same 2000# rating, the existing ones are just worn out from age.