WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Re-doing steering wheel

Trim it up

Reaction score
Hey guys, I;m in Havasu and I want to get my steering wheel re-wrapped in some nice leather/ different color. Any shops in town do such work??? Thx
I want to compare a new wheel vs. keeping the old one and re-doing it (price wise)

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Go see Rebecca and Todd at Main Stitch Upholstery on Lake Havasu Ave.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack but anyone know someone in Santa Clarita that does this? Figure its easier and cheaper to get one re-wrapped.

Trim it up

Reaction score
Go see Rebecca and Todd at Main Stitch Upholstery on Lake Havasu Ave.

Thanks, will do. I called "in stitches" the other day and the guy told me
It would be cheaper to buy a new wheel. Can't believe it would cost near $200-300 to re-do my old one!!

nowski

Reaction score
It would be cheaper to buy a new wheel. Can't believe it would cost near $200-300 to re-do my old one!!
Can't beat those Chinese guy's...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Surprised to hear that.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Surprised to hear that.

200-300 is actually pretty decent price, usually it's 300+, it's a major pain in the ass because they use a thicker leather for steering wheels, they then have to either pre punch all the holes on a sewing machine with no thread, or do them by hand, stretch and wrap the wheel and hand stitch it tight, on the wheel. It probably takes about 8-10 hours of labor to do it. They have to be very methodical and precise in the stitch pattern because there is no place to "hide the runout" or the starting point, like you can with a seat.

Trim it up

Reaction score
Well, called "In Stitches" and "Main Stitch" and they both said its cheaper to buy a new wheel. Looks like thats what i'll do

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Just a thought, but what about spraying it with a few coats of Plasti-Dip?

Enen

Reaction score
I hear faded red is the steering wheel color of choice now a days.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I figured it might be cheaper to rewrap and boy was I wrong. On the hunt for a new one and would have to use the old one to drill holes for the trim switch.

200-300 is actually pretty decent price, usually it's 300+, it's a major pain in the ass because they use a thicker leather for steering wheels, they then have to either pre punch all the holes on a sewing machine with no thread, or do them by hand, stretch and wrap the wheel and hand stitch it tight, on the wheel. It probably takes about 8-10 hours of labor to do it. They have to be very methodical and precise in the stitch pattern because there is no place to "hide the runout" or the starting point, like you can with a seat.

PVHCA

Reaction score

Yep, was gonna do mine quite a few years ago and heard the $250-$300 price and I was like WTF but that was the norm. Thankfully Chris Barron got me one for a trade.

Prime Marine

Custom rigging
Reaction score

You're right its a P.I.T.A!!! When you tear the leather, it's game over. Then you start all over again. Like you said all done by hand with a needle like a fish hook. Not to mention that all the pre-punched hole better be straight or it looks like a drunk 3rd grader did it when you finish. BUY A NEW ONE!!! Or pony up the cash...