WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Re tap a keg??

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Cant think of a better place to ask an alcohol related question!!

Can a keg be re-tapped?? Full size keg....

In my finer days of drinking we never had to worry about re-tapping, only running out!!

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
Sort of. We used to pump it up, then untap it. Then re-tap it the next day. Once you tap it, you have a limited amount of time before it goes flat.

Inventors:
Devise a keg for boating that doesn't get all shook up and foamy.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Here's my take, and I don't profess to be an expert.

The gas in beer is CO2, it's actually a by product of the fermentation process. When you buy a keg it should only have CO2 in it. As such the keg does not go flat.

If you tap it with a true system using CO2 as the gas then you should be able to tap and re-tap the keg as you wish, since you are not introducing a foreign gas.

When you tap the keg with a hand pump you are pumping in O2, or oxygen. The mixture of O2 and CO2 is what causes a keg to go flat. So if you tap it with a hand pump, then your keg is probably good for a day or so.

I have a 3 tap keg-o-rator and a 2 tap jockey box. I leave my kegs tapped for weeks with no noticeable degradation of the beer (although I'm sure it's happening). I also use my jockey box and tap kegs, then un-tap them and re-tap them days later and the keg is still good.

Sorry for the long explanation, but that's my understanding and the physics behind why the two methods provide different results.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It depends on the age. I think Chip is pretty much right though. A basic liquor store air pumping tap will get the old beer out of the keg but it will be flat. Get a CO2 tank powered tap and it will replenish the original C02, and taste better...probably still not great though.

I had a kegerator for a while, and the mini kegs I used could be retapped. But just like punany...fresher is better! :skull :champagne:

cruzer

Reaction score
Some beers pressurize with Nitrogen but, we don't need to go there.

RVRKID

Reaction score
I like Beer with Hooters, or is it Hooters with Beer either way I like them both!!:boobeyes::beer