WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Re upholstery truck

hallett21

Reaction score
Wanting to upgrade my trucks interior. Are Katskins the call? Or should I have an upholstery shop re do the seats?

Goal is to drive this truck for another 5-6 years.

Truck is Ram 3500 CC

Also a buddy told me I can swap out the small screen for the big one. Anyone know if that’s true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have heard nothing but good things about Katskins. Not sure you can beat the quality for the price.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Wanting to upgrade my trucks interior. Are Katskins the call? Or should I have an upholstery shop re do the seats?

Truck is Ram 3500 CC

Also a buddy told me I can swap out the small screen for the big one. Anyone know if that’s true?

what year truck?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Factory Laramie with new base foam. Your lean back foam should be good.

Richmod Upholstery is top notch also.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

If the goal is to replace worn upholstery with new and not really change anything...There's a few outfits selling replacement OEM type seat upholstery that do a pretty damn good job. I just got a new driver seat bottom for my silverado and it as good as factory I think. Cost about $150 and matches the seat back nicely.

hallett21

Reaction score
If the goal is to replace worn upholstery with new and not really change anything...There's a few outfits selling replacement OEM type seat upholstery that do a pretty damn good job. I just got a new driver seat bottom for my silverado and it as good as factory I think. Cost about $150 and matches the seat back nicely.

I drive 35k a year so just want to upgrade to the nice interior. I was an idiot to not get leather from the factory.

Now I need to do

Seats
Stereo
Amp running boards
Maybe a factory head unit upgrade

Figured seats are on the highest priority lol

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Make yours leather...check this place out

hallett21

Reaction score
Make yours leather...check this place out

Do these just slip over? Or does an upholstery guy need to install them?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Do these just slip over? Or does an upholstery guy need to install them?

The one I did (not leather) wasn't hard to do...remove the old, install the new.

grumpy88

Reaction score
From what company ?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Katzkin all the way. That's what the dealer put in my 2018 Silverado, the one I wanted didn't have leather. Its actually a lot nicer than factory. And you can choose your color combo, perforation combo etc. All the same price. At least when I did got mine it was all the same price.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I bought leather and foam for my 2007 Ram. Found out install is a PITA. Entire front seat has to come out. In one piece. Including center console. Lots of wires involved. It's been over a year and I still haven't tackled the job.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Truck is Ram 3500 CC

My buddy just swamped out his 5” screen for the bigger 8” in his 2019.
Parts were like $900

Last edited:

badgas

Reaction score
We did Katskin in a 2005 4runner back in 2011 and IMO it was better than factory leather we were very happy with them.
Coach auto restyler in Orange was who did the job. it was $1,500 for a two row SUV with door panels and alos heated seats up front.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Upholstery shops are strange places run by strange people.
You'll always walk away with a strange story.
I use Ricardos out here in Simi. Good work at good price,, but strange encounters.
Katskins are a quality product with good selections.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If you’re going to do the seat covers, do the cushions on both the bottom and seat back. You’re gonna have everything apart already. I took mine to a body shop and had the factory covers and cushions installed. They pull interiors apart all the time. Best upgrade I’ve done to the truck.

D19

Reaction score
I'm curious about this also for a RAM. Has anyone added seat heaters? How/where did you put the switches?

attitude

Reaction score
I drive 35k a year so just want to upgrade to the nice interior. I was an idiot to not get leather from the factory.

Now I need to do

Seats
Stereo
Amp running boards
Maybe a factory head unit upgrade

Figured seats are on the highest priority lol

I did the same thing, 6 years ago when I bought me ram I was a young punk who was just happy I could afford a new truck, now with a kid and hopefully another one sooner or later I wish I would of sprung for the crew cab and the 4wd options. I won’t make that mistake on my next truck, problem is my truck only has 58k miles and I love it. Makes it hard to justify a new one.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I like cloth seats much better than leather and ordered a lower trim truck than I would have otherwise just to get cloth.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Ugh, cloth seats. Might as well go stick your finger in an electrical outlet. Nothing like static electricity every time you get in and out, especially in the winter.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ugh, cloth seats. Might as well go stick your finger in an electrical outlet. Nothing like static electricity every time you get in and out, especially in the winter.

I can't stand hot leather seats in Havasu, or how your slide all over the seat. Wife can't stand the cold leather on a cold morning.

The only benefit to leather seat is that you can get them cooled.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So assuming you could find a place willing to do alcantara for autos, would that be acceptable to swap out the main seat and recliner panels for that instead of leather for a more cloth like experience?

attitude

Reaction score
Yes, more than you have currently. :)
Good luck with the backseat, my son rides in the backseat of moms car with leather 90% of the time. If you compare it to my backseat it looks the other way around lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good luck with the backseat, my son rides in the backseat of moms car with leather 90% of the time. If you compare it to my backseat it looks the other way around lol

Train yore children. Don't let them train you.

Accidents happen, but my kids don't spill too much. With Covid they have gotten a lot better when eating in the car because we have been forced to.

Leather gets stretched and beaten to shit over time with car seats strapped down. Cloth isn't a lot better, but in my experience seems more resilient. It depends on the cloth though.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So assuming you could find a place willing to do alcantara for autos, would that be acceptable to swap out the main seat and recliner panels for that instead of leather for a more cloth like experience?

Yea. My Mustang Cobra and my CTS-Vs both had Alcantara seat inserts. That works fine for me.

We have had 2 4Runners with cloth and my F150 with the "sport cloth" which is very smooth and I like both a lot. My friend just got a '21 F250 XLT and the cloth in that has a coarse feel... because it is supposed to be a work truck. I still like it better than leather, and so does he, but commented it is a little rough feeling cloth. But he came from the "mouse fur" cloth in his 06 Duramax that was pretty soft and smooth as well.

attitude

Reaction score
Train yore children. Don't let them train you.

Accidents happen, but my kids don't spill too much. With Covid they have gotten a lot better when eating in the car because we have been forced to.

Leather gets stretched and beaten to shit over time with car seats strapped down. Cloth isn't a lot better, but in my experience seems more resilient. It depends on the cloth though.
Give me some tips, my one year old doesn’t understand stains or how not to let go of his bottle when he falls asleep lol. A couple of upside bottles on the way to the river and cloth doesn’t looks so good. Leather on the other hand wipes right up.

attitude

Reaction score
Yea. My Mustang Cobra and my CTS-Vs both had Alcantara seat inserts. That works fine for me.
How does the Alcantara do with typical child stains? I’m looking at new cars for mom and we have the option to either get full leather or alcantara inserts, I prefer the look of the alcantara inserts.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Give me some tips, my one year old doesn’t understand stains or how not to let go of his bottle when he falls asleep lol. A couple of upside bottles on the way to the river and cloth doesn’t looks so good. Leather on the other hand wipes right up.

I used a mat or towel under the car seat, and threw away any bottle that leaked. Because if it leaks in the car, it is going to leak in the house too.

The bad news is that he is 1. The good news is that it will get easier from here. I don't know if he is talking yet, but we tried to get the kids to tell us when they were done and take their empty bottle. That was probably closer to 18 months to 2 years old though.

Also when you turn him around front facing life gets way easier.

HBCraig

Reaction score
What brand? Any contact info? I need to get my drivers seat done in my F150

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How does the Alcantara do with typical child stains? I’m looking at new cars for mom and we have the option to either get full leather or alcantara inserts, I prefer the look of the alcantara inserts.

Alcantara is fairly forgiving. I'd say a bit less absorbent than cloth. I never left car seats strapped in the seats for long periods of time though.

attitude

Reaction score
I used a mat or towel under the car seat, and threw away any bottle that leaked. Because if it leaks in the car, it is going to leak in the house too.

The bad news is that he is 1. The good news is that it will get easier from here. I don't know if he is talking yet, but we tried to get the kids to tell us when they were done and take their empty bottle. That was probably closer to 18 months to 2 years old though.

Also when you turn him around front facing life gets way easier.
He’s getting close to the age to turn him around which I’m excited for, unfortunately juice leaks out of everything somehow. That mat is a good idea, somehow he’s manage to make the bottle leak on the backrest though lol!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
He’s getting close to the age to turn him around which I’m excited for, unfortunately juice leaks out of everything somehow. That mat is a good idea, somehow he’s manage to make the bottle leak on the backrest though lol!

Those little carpet steam cleaners work really well. Sounds like you have a little guy with ingenuity on your hands.