WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

recommend an exhaust shop near boulder city?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Hmmm didn't know that. It says clearly that you are allowed to have modified motors. Modified motors and no smog inspection to me, meant anything goes.

Well anyway then I won't put your business in jeopardy again by asking your guys to work on it.

-peter

being licenced we have to know all the laws ... its the law...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Catalytic Converter Laws thumbnail

Catalytic converters are making automotive emissions greener all the time.

The average automobile was a toxic chemical factory before catalytic converters (aka "cats") became government-mandated equipment in 1972. Oxides of nitrogen and lead, unburned fuel, sulfur dioxide and huge amounts of carbon monoxide poured forth in abundance, polluting groundwater and atmosphere alike. Catalytic converters work like super-high-temperature ovens, storing exhaust heat and using it to convert many of these dangerous compounds to less dangerous forms. Have a question? Get an answer from a lawyer now!

Other People Are Reading
How to Legally Remove the Catalytic Converter
How to Tell If Catalytic Converter Is Clogged?

Removing the Converter

In short: DON'T. If your car came with a catalytic converter you're looking at fines of up to $10,000 for removing it. Sort of. Removing the catalytic converter is illegal, but getting caught without one isn't--most states will simply suspend your smog certification until you get a new one installed.

Replacement

You can only replace your catalytic converter with one of the exact same make and model as the original, and it has to be in the stock location. The only exception to this rule regards "high-flow" aftermarket cats, which you may use as long as they're EPA-certified for your vehicle. The federal government says you can't touch the converter unless the original is missing or damaged, the vehicle is older than 1996 and has more than 50,000 miles or it's a 1996-and-later vehicle with more than 80,000 miles.

Sponsored Links
Criminal Records Online
1) Enter Any Name - Try Free! 2) Get A Criminal Background Check.
criminalrecords.peoplesmart.com

Used Converters

You can utilize a used converter from another vehicle of the same make and model as your own under two conditions. The donor vehicle must have the exact same engine and transmission package as yours, and you must have the converter tested to certify that it still works.

Removal in Excepted States

You'll never get fined if you never get caught, which is entirely possible in many places; some states like South Dakota and Florida don't have any emissions testing. Converter removal is fairly common in states like these, but there's one caveat; don't walk up to any old shop and ask them to remove the converter. Most will either tell you that they don't do exhaust work for undercover EPA agents, or that you have to register your vehicle as "off-road only" before they'll touch it.

Excepted Vehicles

Even in smog states, many vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. No emissions testing means no fines for going cat-less. Exceptions include almost any vehicle designated for off-road use only, including race cars, ATVs, and dirt bikes. California residents beware, though--CARB (the California Air Resources Board) passed a number of laws in 2009 regarding boat emissions and cat removal. The new regulations and fines are similar to those for cars.

Gutting Converters

Don't think that just because the converter is physically present that you're square with the government--gutting the cat is never a good idea. This somewhat morbid term refers to the practice of removing the converter, bashing out the ceramic internals with a crowbar and reinstalling it. Common sense would suggest that this should both improve exhaust flow and keep you legal, but it would be wrong on both counts. Modifying or disabling a converter is just as illegal as removing it, and oftentimes turbulent flow through those broken internals will cause horsepower-sapping back-pressure. And it will send your car's engine control unit into fits.

Sponsored Links
Buy California Converters

Low Price Guarantee & Free Shipping

Certified Calif Converter Experts
www.catalyticconvertersonline.com

Public Arrest Records

1) Enter a Name & Search for Free.

2) View Background Check Instantly.
instantcheckmate.com

Check Public Records

Anonymous, Accurate, Free Searches.

As Seen

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_7194804_catalytic-converter-laws.html#ixzz31l5Y8AQr

pcrussell50

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you, mate. I just didn't know. The dmv tells me I'm smog exempt (which i am because I never get tested and they still renew my plates), and can modify my motor all I want . I took that to mean I can run catless.

-peter

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you, mate. I just didn't know. The dmv tells me I'm smog exempt (which i am because I never get tested and they still renew my plates), and can modify my motor all I want . I took that to mean I can run catless.

-peter

again... you don't have to have a car tested that you state is trailered to events and only driv'n in parades..

but you can't remove the smog equipment..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hmmm didn't know that. It says clearly that you are allowed to have modified motors. Modified motors and no smog inspection to me, meant anything goes.

Well anyway then I won't put your business in jeopardy again by asking your guys to work on it.

-peter

So they did work on it? Or they didn't? Because this post makes it sound like they didn't?

pcrussell50

Reaction score
again... you don't have to have a car tested that you state is trailered to events and only driv'n in parades..

but you can remove the smog equipment..

Classic rod registration allows you to drive on the street up to 5000 miles a year, with a modified motor, and not need testing. It doesn't say anything about trailering to shows or about cats. I'm taking you at your word on the requirement for cats.

-peter

pcrussell50

Reaction score

but you can remove the smog equipment..

Nevada DMV says:
In accordance with NAC 445B.574, if a Classic Rod plated vehicle has been certified, upon each annual registration, to
not have been driven more than 5,000 miles since the preceding annual registration, the Classic Rod may be certified as
exempt from compliance with emission standards.
If the vehicle is driven over 5,000 miles, a passing emissions test is
required at the time of renewal.

See the bolded part. I'm this guy: "exempt from compliance with emissions standards", because I don't drive the car 5000 miles a year. (In fact, I'm lucky if I drive it 1000 miles a year). It doesn't say anything about trailering or cats. I have never had to lie or claim that the car is trailered to shows. It's a road course track whore. I've got 7 cars. This one is rarely driven. So far in 2014 it has under 300 miles. It doesn't even have a/c so it's never driven when it's hot out. Though I am forced to believe Steve when he says you can't remove cats. I just never knew it until this thread, and nothing in the DMV paperwork led me to believe otherwise. So now I know.

-Peter

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Exempt from testing, not from having the equipment...

And it is a federal requirement, Nevada has NO say in it. All they can decide is if, and how, they will test it.

pcrussell50

Reaction score
for the record, steve and i talked on the phone an few days ago and ironed things out. i would use him for my other cars.
i understand now that just because a car is exempt from testing doesn't mean he can work on it legally as a business owner.

-peter

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Who said anything about illegal? I have a pipe with cats for street use and one without for road race use. Maybe I had the street pipe on? This car gets driven maybe 250 miles a year (thousand at the most), and sits the rest of the time. So I forget easily. I'm not from vegas... Cash deals may happen all over town, and it certainly happens all over southern cal, but after having talked with steve, I wouldn't count on his place as a place to get illegal work done. His intent is very clearly to run a straight up business.

I wonder how many people whose cars are exempt from testing get "illegal" work done because they, didn't know there was anything illegal about it? Maybe it depends on the nature of the work? Installing a set of cheap stock replacement mufflers is a LOT different from asking a shop to remove your cats. Then theres regional culture... I was bouncing this situation off a buddy who lives in Florida, where cars are exempt from testing like certain cars here, and he had his catalytic converter removed from a used truck he bought, by the Ford dealership he bought it from. Apparently its so common there that its almost standard on used cars. Since removing cats is a federal law violation, its got to be just as illegal in Florida as here.

-peter