WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Recommendation for safe

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Looking to buy a gun safe and not sure where to start. Looking to spend no more than $2k, want good enough fire protection for an urban area with fast fire dept response times, want to be able to replace the battery for the lock from the outside, and would like to have power inside the safe for battery chargers/dehumidifiers/lights.

Have room for 60"h x 32"w x 25"d

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I want to buy the same in Havasu.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Canon. Used to be made in San Berdo, but moved facilities so I can’t say if the quality is the same.

Reactions: DLC

PlanB

Reaction score
I bought my Havasu safe through Mountain Safe in Havasu. Owner is retired LEO. They delivered a 1700 pound safe into my house and we built it into the wall. I would recommend them.

bonesfab

Reaction score
sun welding smaller business great guy
I have two of theirs because I didn‘t go big enough the first time. I have now banished myself from the gun store so hopefully it will be ok.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Mountain Safe is Spot on in Havasu, They have a Store Frt where you can kick the locks and check out everything!

great for Delivery and bolt down in your spot in the house or garage…
Thanks 👍

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Before I had the accident, this is where I got mine from. If you're looking for one in town @Racer56 I highly recommend this place.
X2 I bought one from the guys and they were there when they they'd be and had it into place in no time at all. That little dolly they use in a great back and time saver. They have a wide variety on site, or did. Owner is an ex cop from, I believe LA area.

havasujeeper

Reaction score

sintax

Reaction score
$2k? Sturdy or AMSEC BF on Craigslist.

At todays prices, yea that’s all I fear that’s about all you can get.

I bought my Sturdy in 2015, it’s doubled in price since then!

Then again, so has the price of steel I guess?

Words of advice on safe purchasing…

You buy them buy the pound… anything under 1000 lbs prob won’t do much good. The average safe should be 850-1600 lbs

Don’t buy anything that uses dry wall for fire insulation. During a fire the drywall will expel trapped water and make a huge mess of the contents of the safe.

Buy as big as you can afford, based on my above comment, prices only seem to go up

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Check out the Browning safe. I have one from I got from west coast safes. I really like the way the shelves can be rearranged and different types are available. I have a hanging file folder shelf in mine. They also make jewelry drawers for them.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I want to buy the same in Havasu.
Before I had the accident, this is where I got mine from. If you're looking for one in town @Racer56 I highly recommend this place.
I bought my Havasu safe through Mountain Safe in Havasu. Owner is retired LEO. They delivered a 1700 pound safe into my house and we built it into the wall. I would recommend them.
Mountain Safe is Spot on in Havasu, They have a Store Frt where you can kick the locks and check out everything!

great for Delivery and bolt down in your spot in the house or garage…
Mountain Safe is delivering one to my garage on Friday 👍

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Use the safe to keep the guns in your possession. I have seen multiple house fires, with several of the big name brand safes in them, and none of them preserved the contents inside worth a fuck.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Check out liberty safes sold by Tractor Supply. They have some occasional good sales.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Everyone says it lol. Go as big as you can.

My “11 gun” filled way before 11.
same here, buy double the size or as big as you can. they dont take into account optics on rifles, pistol grips or other additions. and if you anything like me, you will find other stuff you want to put in there as well, i built a shelf in mine to hold important documents and jewelry.

DLC

Reaction score
When looking at gun safes don’t pay attention to how many long guns they says it will hold!

Unless you have a bunch on 10/22’s w/ iron sights.

if your long guns have a scope / red dot or a pistol grip it will not hold the stated amount the manufacturer says.

so buy the extra grande model

sintax

Reaction score
Use the safe to keep the guns in your possession. I have seen multiple house fires, with several of the big name brand safes in them, and none of them preserved the contents inside worth a fuck.

This is super true, but also important to understand a lot of "big name" brand safes are simply rebranded junk from overseas. Like I mentioned above, a lot of "big brands" just use shitty gypsum board as their fire protection. If gypsum was a great fire proofer, houses would not burn down. You want something like a fire mat or a poured in place, concrete type solution.

At the end of the day, you're best protection is the fire department, the safe only buys you time.

This is prob not your average results, but I was impressed.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I have had one for 10 years, IMO great quality if your spending the money on a gun and fireproof safe for documents and what not. dealers in Prescott, Phoenix and LV.

DLC

Reaction score
A friends dad ( retired Sheriff ) had a few rifles with wood stocks.
He had his dads WW2 rifle, his work Shotgun and a few others and when his house burnt down the wood stocks didn’t make it and it messed up the blueing it got so hot in the safe

Backlash

Reaction score
I don't have a need for a safe because guns scare me. But I thought I read somewhere that Canon has a warranty that will not only cover the safe itself, but also the contents inside the safe?? Somebody with more knowledge may know that answer, but something worth considering if it's true.

There is also a guy online who makes videos of himself cutting into safes using common tools found in most people's garages. For example, a Skil saw with a metal cutting blade. He basically cut the top off like a cardboard box for shoes.

East Wood

Reaction score
another vote for liberty. door storage is a must, i didnt think i would care but it is priceless.

Reactions: DLC

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
This is my understanding as well. @Racer56 ? It seems like more steel, a better design, and better insurance is better than less steel and more “fireproofing.”

I needed something I could move by myself so I went Zanotti Armor. Inside a closet, bolted down gives reasonable protection. Fire protection is non existent.

As others have said, get the biggest you can fit/afford.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Bigger is better. Keep in mind ammo is heavy and bulky. So consider a seperate safe just for ammo. I can’t fit all my ammo by a long shot in my medium size safe nor all my guns that before the accident wouldn’t fit

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Got the Winchester 26 gun TS26-45 recently from my local Tractor Supply. It is on sale for $599 right now. I don't expect anything to really hold up in a fire.

Pretty happy with it. Winchester sells extra shelves for it which I bought 1 of, and I added some motion detecting lights to it.

My 1 complaint is that you can't make the keypad silent. I am going to take the little buzzer off the circuit board.

Reactions: DWC

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
This is my understanding as well. @Racer56 ? It seems like more steel, a better design, and better insurance is better than less steel and more “fireproofing.”

I needed something I could move by myself so I went Zanotti Armor. Inside a closet, bolted down gives reasonable protection. Fire protection is non existent.

As others have said, get the biggest you can fit/afford.
As said above, I had a customer with a best money can buy safe in their house in Malibu. The house burned down and anything that was paper or wood turned into dust. The owner had almost 200k in cash, personal paperwork and guns in the safe and there was nothing left. My opinion is that they are good for a hour or less in a fire. If the fire department gets there fast enough you will be fine.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have... errrrrr.... a friend has three Liberty Safes and I’m happy... errrrrr... he’s happy with them.
another vote for liberty. door storage is a must, i didnt think i would care but it is priceless.

Liberty is one of the few that seems to be reasonably priced. Just not sure how I feel about the locking bars vs traditional locking bolts?